Sign in to follow this  
Casey Gardener

6.5" speakers in S15. No bass at all...

Hey guys,

I just got an S15 and have found the bass in the stereo to be horrific. I can't even get basic warmth, let alone kicks.

I have installed a Kenwood KDC-U6046 which I used in my old VZ and it was excellent (No amp and stock speakers)

I then installed some Rokford 6.5" 3-ways in the doors, which had tonnes of reviews saying they had incredible bass... Still sounds the same.

There were already some decent pioneers in the back but I can't remember their model.

I applied some basic Dynamat on the drivers side and it sounds no different to the passenger side.

I am hoping to avoid an amp and sub as I am over that stuff these days and would like to keep the car as stock as possible.

I just can't shake the fact that out of every other car i've been in that had stock 6"s and stock or basic head unit, they all had far better bass than this one.

Any ideas what else I could try? Or anyone had this problem and fixed it?

Cheers.

Edited by Casey Gardener

EQ settings, check there is no hi-pass filter enabled on the head unit fro the speakers, check the wiring is correct to avoid having out of phase speakers (which will kill all your bass)

Thanks Varvs,

The speakers are deffinitely in phase. I have been through the EQ settings with a fine tooth comb. Made very little difference.

I used to just set this unit to "Rock" in the VZ and that was good enough for me :P Same preset sounded like easy listening in the 200.

Edited by Casey Gardener

Could the stock speaker wires effect it in any way? They are actually thicker than the ones that came with the Rokfords. Don't know the quality of the wiring though.

Stock wiring is fine for the RMS output of a headunit; the issue will be elsewhere. Can you post photos of the speakers mounted in their cradles, the wiring, and anything else of relevance?

It's hard to comment on it in a forum beyond what varvs already said.

Probably the sensitivity of the speakers. If high, they will need an amp to drive them properly. Most head units would only have around 22watts RMS per channel from the internal amp - the rockfords would probably need triple that for decent bass

wattage is not directly related to volume.

sensitivity is, and if they are decent speakers the sensitivity should be fine (anything over 80dB @1W is gonna be loud)

amplification and wattage is how loud it goes before the signal is distorted.

For some reason I thought the OP pulled the speakers and headunit from his old car, and it wasn't working. If he's just running the oem deck to aftermarket speakers, then yeah, it won't be great. The stock speakers are really, really easy to drive to maximum, and the amp in the oem headunit is weak.

I am running a new head and new speakers. When I bought the car it had a pioneer head and rears with stock fronts. I just swapped the head and fronts. The sound quality didn't really change. Possibly more clarity at higher volume but i'm more concerned about achieving any form of bass at a comfortable volume. And again by bass I just mean a warmer sound, doesn't have to be window rattling thumpage. Even my girlfriends stock swift has better bass than mine :'(

I will get some pictures of the speaker housing and power ratings later this arvo.

Thanks again for the advice.

In that case, my suggestion would be to run an extension lead from your house to your car, connect a home hifi amp you own or borrowed from a friend, then connect your car speakers and an MP3 player to the amp, and test. The average hifi amp for a home theatre system has sufficient power to drive 4ohm car speakers, so if it still sounds bad, then the issue isn't likely to be the headunit. If it sounds great, now you know the problem.

Hey mate u Hav wired up one of the front spk incorrect

To check without pulling ur car appart is to fade spks to right side then to left on head unit

If so need to change wire around on 1 of the spk

what you're suggesting is wiring the speakers out of phase, which he already clarified is not the problem.

It sounds to me like the problem is in the installation. It is important that the front and rear of the speakers are sealed off from each other. If not the bass response will suffer as the sound waves virtually cancel each other out. Highs will still go loud as *swearing filters own me* though.

If you have a spare head unit with the same harness and/or can swap out with some other speakers temporarily, you can see if any of those help and narrow down the problem. Other than that, maybe some wiring is just barely twisted together somewhere along the line and not making a decent connection?

Hey mate u Hav wired up one of the front spk incorrect

To check without pulling ur car appart is to fade spks to right side then to left on head unit

If so need to change wire around on 1 of the spk

I'm curious as to why you didn't use "m8" instead of "mate"?

To OP - 6" speakers are only midrange, they physically aren't made to produce bass, and any type of bass they try to produce will sound horrid.

It's most likely that your commodore either had excellent sound proofing, or that you had a different setup.

When I want pizza, I go to the pizza shop.

When I want bass I install a sub.

simples.

To OP - 6" speakers are only midrange, they physically aren't made to produce bass, and any type of bass they try to produce will sound horrid.

Not entirely true, and considering that the OP is comparing the bass (midbass would be more accurate) to factory 6/6.5" speakers in another car, I don't think he's expecting brown-notes from his car or anything crazy. Car speakers can produce acceptable midbass if in the right enclosure, and I agree that the stock door cavity needs work for decent sound.

A well-designed 6" speaker cone can definitely produce noticable midbass in the right enclosure, and there exist all sorts of 6/6.5" woofers that actually go reasonably low. The pair of bose woofers that a friend and I installed in a slealed-box enclosure in his Subaru go pretty hard, and they're only 6" each. I put 6x9"s in custom MDF pods in my first car, added a lot of weight to the doors, but the midbass from those and the 8" woofers in the custom parcel shelf really kicked you in the face.

My pioneer splits got down to 35hz.

that is bass.

speakers and subs arent much without a good enclosure. my 8" desk sub blows my 12" car sub out of the water purely because the box is a better design.

That's why I believe its down to installation.

Any reputable brand speaker will make the sort of bass that I think the OP desires in the right environment.

I've not played with an s15 so I can't really comment on what would work well (better than factory) in their doors.

Maybe post a pic of the inside of the door.