Sign in to follow this  
Brandon333

S15 JDM stock turbo noise

Hey All,

I posted on here a couple months back about a few noises I had on my car. I was able to fix a few with a clutch and flywheel change, found out my dual mass had died. Swapped to an excedy lightweight and a heavy duty organic clutch kit.

However, 2 of the noises haven't stopped. One of which I am almost 100% is my brakes which I will get looked at another time. The main reason for this thread is the main noise I get from my turbo (front left of engine bay where turbo is, may not be turbo though).

It used to be intermittent, now it is almost constantly making this noise when I hit boost. It's easier for me to explain like this.

When you floor a car, you should hear a clean and constant VVRRROOOOOMMMM getting louder. What I hear is this:

vvvrr*TURBO KICKS IN HERE*OOOoooooOOOOOooOoOOOoooOOOOOooOOoOOooooooMMMMMM. My foot is flat the entire time, the engine noises gets quiet, then loud, then quiet, then loud, then quiet. Originally it was just an intermittent ticking noise which has now turned into this. The clicking is still slightly there, the only problem now is it gets drowned out by my engine not being able to decide how loud it wants to be. The entire rev range it feels like a smooth pull, but I have noticed lately while on idle it can be a bit temperamental. I had the car dynoed a few weeks back and it is making 161.7rwkw so there is no performance loss (completely stock jdm except the clutch/flywheel). I thought initially it was a stock boost solenoid being the issue, is this still likely? I have taken my car to a mechanic and they have said not to worry about it as there is no performance loss there may not be an issue. But I am certainly not hearing things and the car never used to do this at all and I refuse to drive the thing until it completely dies and maybe have to fork out 10x more than what I may now to fix it.

I apologise if this is a bit hard to understand, I will see if I can get a recording of it making the noise over the next couple of days.

Thanks.

Hahaha lol, I knew I was gonna get a response like that. But it is literally just like that. If you pretend with your voice your revving a turbo car, and add in the accentuated oOoOo's, it'll be pretty spot on. I will get a video as soon as I can lol

• Upvote 1

Hahaha lol, I knew I was gonna get a response like that. But it is literally just like that. If you pretend with your voice your revving a turbo car, and add in the accentuated oOoOo's, it'll be pretty spot on. I will get a video as soon as I can lol

something like

did your mechanic even check your spark plugs/gaps or coilpacks? could even be an earth as well...

I have been tossing up buying new leads/coilpacks but am unsure as to where to get them and whether I should be stock coilpacks or aftermarket. Any suggestions on this?

Maybe something wrong with the stock plumb back bov? Another thought I had as well was maybe loose baffle in my exhaust? Only problem with that is that it definitely sounds like it's coming from the left of the engine bay where the turbo is (both noises as shown in videos below), so not sure if it can be exhaust. If it was a grounding problem, what would cause it and how would I go about checking?

I have uploaded two videos;

Clicks/Flutter/Knocks: [media]http://youtu.be/g9rfOX74r1E[/media]

^^^ The first 2 seconds of this video you can hear it very clearly. ^^^

Rev Jumps: [media]http://youtu.be/T8kofqeWTYo[/media]

^^^ The second video shows what I was talking about, how it goes loud suddenly (as if it just hit boost) and then goes quiet, loud, quiet, loud, etc. I did change gear three times so obviously when it goes quiet then it doesn't count. It is most noticeable just after my first gear change. ^^^

Was hard getting a decent recording as it was raining at the time and there were cops everywhere, I can try and get another if these aren't good enough. Let me know. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Edited by Brandon333

Sorry but they are pretty crappy videos.

Take a video when its not raining and try and mount the phone. Otherwise us internet mechanics don't know what you're talking about.. :Drugs:

I know the videos are really bad, though I can hear it quite clearly when wearing headphones and have the volume loud. There is no other way for me to get it, the noise in the cabin is drowned out by the noise of the road, etc. I only have an Iphone to record with. I have tried many different places in the cabin. I even just got back from trying to film it again with a mate in the car who was holding it in the passenger foot well since it is the closest point, but it's just as bad. I have tried, and tried, and tried to get the noise recorded but I can never get a good quality recording and don't have the money to go out and buy a go pro or anything. Iphones just suck. It's hard to diagnose anyway as I have had multiple mechanics who don't know what the noise is.

This is a list of what it may be that I have gathered over the course of having the noise:

-PCV valve (not sure this?)

-Boost solenoid

-Dying turbo

-Heat Shields (turbo heat shield looks ok, no rust. Exhaust has a fair bit of rust, though doesn't seem like a noise it would cause).

-Exhaust baffle

-Factory plumb back

-loose clips or hoses (not this)

-Spark plugs (BCPR6ES from memory)

-Coil packs

-VCT rattle (it is definitely not this, that is a very infamous noise).

-Lifters (seems very unlikely)

-Earth (how to check this?)

Further information on my car:

s15 jdm

completely stock except for:

-lightweight flywheel

-heavy duty organic clutch kit

-adjustable castor rods

Here is another I made only 10 minutes ago, it's most clear at the end. There is a bit right at the beginning though as well. It kind of sounds like a buzz in the video. It's the 'buzzing' that starts and stops making it louder and quieter: http://youtu.be/OW8UbyXkj2A

Just for your amusement, here is a video of me making the noise verbally. Seriously though, it sounds almost exactly like the way I am doing it though: http://youtu.be/FdNLZt0NzZ0

If there is anyone is Sydney I can take you for a quick spin and if you can tell me what it is I will shout a case of beer. It's reaching the point I am nervous to drive it in case it's the turbo or something. My mechanic is on holiday until the beginning of next year, but will be taking it to another mechanic I know of Wednesday to see what they say.

Edited by Brandon333

HAHA.

id be looking for loose bolts on the exhaust side of things.

check manifold nuts, dump pipe bolts / nuts, check heat shields. just check for loose shit in general.

you may have a blown gasket too.

at 120000 kms I had loose manifold bolts that I noticed needed tightening. granted didn't leak but some were loose.

Can you do the mouth noise again, just a little bit longer next time to get a better idea of the problem lol. Put it on a dyno with the bonnet up, probably take 5 mins to diagnose.

I have dropped it into the mechanic today. Unfortunately not to hopeful they will find the problem as they don't seem that on top of things so may or may not find out today.

I will get my normal mechanic to throw it on his dyno when he gets back from holiday early next year to see what he says. Thanks for the suggestions and updates everyone.

I have gotten my car back from the mechanic and they think it is one of the exhaust manifold gaskets which has blown. I was planning on putting a full back exhaust on in the next 6 months or so, so am just going to be getting it done now and get both gaskets replaced anyway all in one hit.

Thanks for the help everyone.

the mechanics shop i work at at south hurstville get pretty much all of our exhuast work done at chris's shop, his work on gts and mustangs is amazing, so id definitely recommend best mufflers. however if i had a noise i was sure was brake related id probley be looking into that before worrying about noises when boosting around