Sign in to follow this  
nic11

Speaker choice

Okay so ive decided to get a set of component 6"/6.5" speakers. I will be running them with an amp and dynamatting the doors, however i wont have a sub connected. I was wondering about opinions on the following:

- Alpine DDL-RT17S

- Focal PS165F/PS165V

- Kicker RS60/QS65

- JBL MS-62C

Im looking more for sound quality rather than loudness so im not sure how these go, or if there are other brands that are better for a similar price range. any help/direction would be great thanks.

sensitivity tells you the loudness, but more sensitive speakers are generally better sounding too.

I have JLs and have been happy. also was happy with the kevlar splits from jaycar (though they broke after a year or so) and really liked the MTX splits I had in my VL.

anything around $200 is going to be pretty decent quality. if you can afford it, get some sound deadening too. it helps.

fwiw

my mate had the focal k2 i think it is, the 1000$ speakers in his sti. and off of a pioneer head unit only those things were un f**king real. bass clarity the lot was excellent for what they were. 6" fronts 5" in the rear doors.

i have a set of alpine type r's all round in my sil, and they do an ok job, even powered by a pdx f4 amp..

clarity is crisp and ear pearcing, but bass can be improved upon with them, they arent terribly bassey. the sub fills that for me so no probs there.

my old man has the same type r splits in his patrol ute, and they go great. the alpine amp that bolts up behind the dash. different cabbin area i guess.

Go the Kickers! I've got a pair of these in the front of my s15 https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/kicker/kicker-css654-6-1-2-2-way-css-series-component-car-speakers-system/398156/

They sound absolutly awesome and fit perfectly in the doors, some 6.5s won't fit properly without a bit of modding.

I almost bought some Alpine type S but for the price they didn't sound much better than these, if you buy from Jb hifi after xmas there's huge discounts

Edited by Coastie

If you are missing bass when hooked up to an amp make sure the amps on-board hi/low pass filter is set correctly.

My amp has a dial to set the low frequency cut off anywhere from 50 up to 500hz for my speaker channel. it can be a good idea to enable the hi-pass filter and just cut it off at 55hz, or slightly above whatever the spec sheet says is the lowest frequency they can hit. this gives them some protection from when you are pushing the volume. most head units will have a function in them too (my alpine IDA-X100 only does 80,100, 120hz)

if you dont have a sub (if you do, make sure its set to low-pass filter), you probably dont want to set a hi-pass filter, but you will need to roll off the bass in the EQ to prevent speaker damage.