Sign in to follow this  
cawky

coilovers for s14

Im ordering some bc br 30 way dampening adjustable coilovers but im not sure what spring rates to get them in, it's going in my s14 which is my daily drive and I dont want it to be over the top in stiffness, standard spring rate is 8kg f 6kg r for these, I was thinking 6kg f 4kg r, or will 8kg f 6kg r be decent ride quality if adjusted accordingly?

6/4 for the street will still be firm, but will still give you that coilover feel.

Silvia's don't win comfort awards so just go the 8/6 and run the dampening on the lowest setting, it is a fair bit harder than stock shocks but you will live.

Silvia's don't win comfort awards so just go the 8/6 and run the dampening on the lowest setting, it is a fair bit harder than stock shocks but you will live.

Stock up on seasickness tablets if you follow this man's advice.

Essentially, the higher the spring rate, the more dampening required to control the spring. Otherwise, you might as well cut the stock springs in half, and run them with the original flogged-out shocks. Will achieve the same boat-like ride quality.

I was kinda going under the assumption that at some point the OP would be wanting to track the car and or get hectic stance, 8/6 seems like a better compromise than 6/4. Boat ride quality = Daily ride quality :o

Edited by Junny

Going 8/6 with dampers set soft is perfectly reasonable advice. Ride quality is fine with such a setup.

And BCs are a good coilover, especially for the money. Shock response is surprisingly good, and reliability is good also. Lots of guys running these coils for over 5 years with no leaks

Not my experience, I've had BC ER 8/6 on my silvia for just under 3yrs and 25,000km, I've driven to track days in SA and NSW as well as my home state of Vic. They are cheap. Mine were unboxed with loose play and had to be tightened up, left rear has 32 clicks right rear 30 clicks, camber top developed play within warranty period, others just outside, one shaft has started to develop sideways play, click adjuster no longer clicks. Moving off build quality, this 8/6 and dampers combo is too stiff for street even full soft, I have to slow to a 20-30kph over railway crossings etc. Those 30clicks could be replaced by 4-5 well spaced ones that you might actually notice.

Will admit that I've yet to try another brand etc, aim to move up in price bracket but most could be all talk, not too many chances to try before you buy are there :-)

it depends on how much you can tolerate, and how good the dampners are in terms of comfort, I hear silkroad coilovers are very comfortable with 8/6 springs, supposedly 8/6 is one of the best combo for performance. I have been in a few cars with BC golds and they are very comfy with 8/6 springs, i think you'll be fine

Go the softer spring rates, will be better for track work anyway.

BCs aren't a very good coilover. I have them in my 33 and don't rate them

I think batches vary a lot. Mine are good, but I've been in a few cars where they feel ordinary. Lots of options around these days

No complaints at all with my BC golds. 8/6 and I felt on softest settings they were much comfier than stock struts (maybe there were f**ked? haha). But in any case if I was to buy coilovers new now, I'd also be going MCA.

There's a MCA group buy happening on skylines australia. Blues are going for $1450 which is awesome for the money.

Didn't MCA offer blues here for $1000 -.-? Maybe was on the drift forum /shrug

Edited by Junny

BCs are great when compared to stock blown suspension

But when you compare BCs to Bilstein, MCA, Tein, Silk Road, Ohlins, Aragosta they're a piece of shit.

Yes people swear by them, but these people have not bought brand new decent coilovers either.

Just my 2cents :)

BCs are great when compared to stock blown suspension

But when you compare BCs to Bilstein, MCA, Tein, Silk Road, Ohlins, Aragosta they're a piece of shit.

Yes people swear by them, but these people have not bought brand new decent coilovers either.

Just my 2cents :)

Bang for buck.

What bling said. Mca put 6/4.5 kg springs in there red/ blue suspension for track. Who you wanna listen to, us guys or Mca.

If your buying a cheap coil I'd definetly go with a softer spring rate. I thing tom has had luck with bc cause his cars not extremely low. A lot of guys throw coils in fully lower there ride n don't realise there 5mm off there bump stop cause they haven't set there bump and droop height correctly. Meaning it's stiff n crap

same shit gets said every time, but its a good thing to repeat over and over so people can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel.

springs absorb the shock from the road

the dampers slow the shock rate down.

shit coilovers cant do this very well,

Didn't MCA offer blues here for $1000 -.-? Maybe was on the drift forum /shrug

Wat

Link plz

I got BC BR coilovers in 5kg front 4kg rear with matched shocks and it's pretty smooth and nice to me. It's reasonably low but not crazily low. That being said, I haven't tried other coilovers other than the old worn out mismatched stuff that was in there before. I think getting a softer spring rate so that you can go 2/3 setting on the dampers allows better spring control on the road. A friend had an r34 with the normal extra hard (8/6 or 10/8?) BC BR coilovers and it was definitely harsh and I felt that it actually reduced grip by not allowing suspension travel on bumps around corners.

I just installed front and rear sway bars too and that really helped cut down the body roll I was getting without some decent sway bars. Still feels great for the road.

I got a Hardrace front 28mm solid 3 way adjustable sway bar and a stock R32 GTR 24mm hollow rear bar. In theory they seemed to match up well, but in my very limited test driving just around my area, it seems a little bit understeery to me. Maybe I just need to learn to drive to them or get more power or adjust rear dampers to be harder or I don't know... I'll give it a go on some proper sweeping corners when I get a chance and see how it goes. I have the front sway bar on medium, so I could drop it down to soft. I've also got some bad camber wear on the rear, so you'd think I'd be getting more understeer when I put my camber arms in to fix that. I did raise the back about an inch since noticing that as well though.

TunedBy, doesn't it seem a bit understeery with those sway bars if you're just grip driving fast around a bend?

i haven't fully pushed the car yet, just got it up and running, all my research on the parts and configuration was done on nissanroadracing

the combo i have seems pretty popular in the states, feels good to me soo far, will be taking the 180 to Phillip Island soon so i'll let you know how it runs at full noise

there was a great link for the setup of your adjustable arms too,

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=1652

also i went through the pain of converting bilstines for it.

rhino did you realign after raising the rear?

AFAIK with the rear multilink, the rear toes inwards during extension, so raising would cause more toe in, making it reluctant to rotate

but I could eeeeeeeasily be wrong since I fail at suspension kinematics (have been trying and failing to design a DWB setup for a racing sim)

Edited by Skepticism

Thanks for that link TunedBy, I've just been researching that.

I haven't adjusted the alignment at all since raising it again a bit. I didn't realise it was so low as to cause such bad camber wear either. It got an alignment with the coilovers install and they didn't mention that the camber was so bad. Took me a while to notice the wear cos it really doesn't look visibly like I have much camber. For the moment, I'm just hoping to get a little more life out of the rear tyres while I buy more adjustable arms and then I'll get the alignment and a corner weighting too I reckon. I'm waiting on some GKTech camber arms I bought. And then I might get some rubber bushed HardRace toe and traction arms for the back. And their rubber bushed adjustable caster arms for the front too.

You're probably right about the toe problem Skepticism, and I can't recall which way the toe is meant to go during bump steer at the back when you increase the length of the camber arms. I'll definitely have to do more reading. I'm hoping to get it all perfect eventually. I'm still not 100% sure if I'll need traction rods since I raised the back, cos I don't know how bad the camber is now or how the toe will go. I plan on just adding 10mm to the camber arms for a while and watching the tyre wear. Then after a couple months I should be able to afford and install the other arms if I need them and then get a proper alignment done and 2 new tyres haha.