Sign in to follow this  
WeezyRB26

H1 HID KITS - Who actually makeas a decent kit!?

Hey NS.com dudes,

I am chasing a HID kit to suit my S15, who actually makes a decent kit for a reasonable price.

Seeing all these kits for sale on ebay going for $40-$50, hard to know if they're actually quality.

Link me to some kits, no problems with ebay gear, just so long as someone can substantiate to me they're decent.

Cheers, Weez

I'll say it.

Spend your $50 on some high quality Phillips bulbs.

I should have elaborated a little more, I don't mind spending $100 - $150 for a kit either - More what I meant do these eBay kits shape up. Or who makes a reliable decent kit.

I bought an ebay kit for like $35 or something a few months ago. It came with a one year warranty and they have been great, no problems at all.

Unless you have projector lenses designed for HIDs spend the money on proper globes.

All HIDs are gonna do in regular housings is give you shit beams that blind everyone and produce no usable light, and potentially melt your housings.

• Upvote 1

This ^

Get phillips, forget HID's

These are going to give you that crystal white eyes, and actually light up the road ahead.

source - Ive had several cars some with stock bulbs, I've had 4300k in my ute, then swapped out for 8000k, also put 12000k in my 180sx (purple) and now have xeons in my 34. xeons shit all over the rest.

First I had the stock xeons that come with the 34, then I put these phillips in, they are a tad whiter and a tad brighter.

overal very nice.

I use a dolphin torch hung out the window, it works great compared to the brick headlights :thumb:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I used kaixen a few yrs ago. It was a good made kit but it looks like they've gone under. I'm in the same boat for a decent hid kit not something that's $20 off eBay.

Might just try Russian roulette and buy any old kit of eBay and see how I crack on.

Comes to NS and asks for advice.... does whatever he wants anyway.

Nothing to see here people :rant:

How well does Narva compare to the Phillips?

Whats the difference between red apples and green ones?

same shit...

How well does Narva compare to the Phillips?

Whats the difference between red apples and green ones?

same shit...

They taste way different dude lol

• Downvote 1

I used kaixen a few yrs ago. It was a good made kit but it looks like they've gone under. I'm in the same boat for a decent hid kit not something that's $20 off eBay.

Kaixen are still around if you're interested in a kit. I was after one myself, but just settled for Narva globes.

With globes there is 2 different styles being marketed. There are those which offer X% of extra light and those which have a high kelvin rating.

Which of the 2 sort would be better?

At the moment I don't see corners coming up until the last moment

• Downvote 2

Kaixen are still around if you're interested in a kit. I was after one myself, but just settled for Narva globes.

Oh really cool. I tried looking for some a few months back I didn't try that hard tbh.

With globes there is 2 different styles being marketed. There are those which offer X% of extra light and those which have a high kelvin rating.

Kelvin is the colour temp. higher color temps go funny colours (greens/purples/reds)

I went with Narva Intense 120s and spent about an hour driving around with a screw driver and adjusting the reflectors.

If you own a 180, you can get good headlight coverage if you just adjust the headlights correctly. its not as good as a 2015 model car with HIDs in projectors, but its better than what it COULD be.

The best way to adjust the lamps on a 180 is to put the new globes in then adjust the screw at the bottom and the side ALL THE WAY IN, then back them out slowly.

each globe has a stepped shape to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. the top of the beam will look like this ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\_________

Starting with the drivers side ONLY, adjust it to suit your preference of height - then once its set to provide decent coverage (it should be pointing towards the left side of the road) put in the passenger side globe and adjust it so they 'overlap' - the easiest way to do that is judging by the top of the beam as its the most apparent.

tips:

if you are lighting up street signs that hang high above the road - aim down. if you see a lot of drivers in front of you adjusting their rear view mirror, aim down.

My car is just 100mm off the ground, the beams cut off well below most rear-windows of cars (even older cars that are lowered) and still give me great coverage and make street signs 'pop out' at about 200m away.

Having your lights pointing a little bit to the left is not a bad thing either, as with all the mobile speed cameras around, you really want to make sure you light up that reflective sign 250m ahead of the camera before its too late.

Kelvin is the colour temp. higher color temps go funny colours (greens/purples/reds)

I went with Narva Intense 120s and spent about an hour driving around with a screw driver and adjusting the reflectors.

If you own a 180, you can get good headlight coverage if you just adjust the headlights correctly. its not as good as a 2015 model car with HIDs in projectors, but its better than what it COULD be.

The best way to adjust the lamps on a 180 is to put the new globes in then adjust the screw at the bottom and the side ALL THE WAY IN, then back them out slowly.

each globe has a stepped shape to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. the top of the beam will look like this ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\_________

Starting with the drivers side ONLY, adjust it to suit your preference of height - then once its set to provide decent coverage (it should be pointing towards the left side of the road) put in the passenger side globe and adjust it so they 'overlap' - the easiest way to do that is judging by the top of the beam as its the most apparent.

tips:

if you are lighting up street signs that hang high above the road - aim down. if you see a lot of drivers in front of you adjusting their rear view mirror, aim down.

My car is just 100mm off the ground, the beams cut off well below most rear-windows of cars (even older cars that are lowered) and still give me great coverage and make street signs 'pop out' at about 200m away.

Having your lights pointing a little bit to the left is not a bad thing either, as with all the mobile speed cameras around, you really want to make sure you light up that reflective sign 250m ahead of the camera before its too late.

Cheers for the info mate. I have tried adjusting my lights before and found it also changes how flush the lights sit with the body when the lights are down. I'll give it another go with new globes, I'm confident my current ones are screwed.

• Downvote 2

Also using a clear glass lense like Raybrig ones on a 180sx the edges of the lights focus is very sharp... unlike the stadard glass that projects fuzzy edges.

I don't know if the focus is wider or narrower with the Raybrig glass but the difference in light is quite something.

Edited by Junny

tips:

Cheers for the info mate. I have tried adjusting my lights before and found it also changes how flush the lights sit with the body when the lights are down. I'll give it another go with new globes, I'm confident my current ones are screwed.

Something is wrong if your lights arent flush when you change the adjustment of the lenses.

there is 2 screws that hold the lens in, and they dont adjust how the light sits at all.

Ended up playing Russian Roulette, purchased a kit of eBay - Sun Wolf - 55W 6000K H1 kit. Fantastic little kit, $25 posted to my door, and works a treat. W/ some t10 parkers to match I am pretty happy with the outcome.58A79DE9-ED5B-4AE6-BCFB-8D8DDC759763_zpsr4lynwfz.jpg

Ended up playing Russian Roulette, purchased a kit of eBay - Sun Wolf - 55W 6000K H1 kit. Fantastic little kit, $25 posted to my door, and works a treat. W/ some t10 parkers to match I am pretty happy with the outcome.

Same kit I bought, 6 months and still going strong.

Haha, not sure what that pic is showing. would have been better off with the $50 phillips and no worries about the defects..... do it once do it right

I recently bought a new range of Narva globes which offer 110% extra light and 30% whiter light. Its virtually a combination of their 120% and Intense globes. They work amazing and the best part is their ADR approved so no need to worry about defects.

• Downvote 1

ok guys so my drivers side headlight is a tad messed up, like horrible angles on it, haha, but i have tried the adjuster screw underneath and nothing, i have no clue, some help would be great

IMG_2433.jpg

as you can see the drivers side headlight is at a horrible angle, some advice on how to fix it would be great, and as i have mentioned adjuster screw at the bottom doesn't do anything....

the adjuster screws are kind of shit to use, and if anything like mine they are rusted and the head stripped.

I found they worked best if you put the screws all the way in first and adjust them out as required.

Uhhh... picture was taken with iPhone 6, and I darkened the photo to make the headlights stand out.

Anyway, I am happy with the result.