Sign in to follow this  
Gdonk180

P plate restrictions turbo 180sx

After a serious of fortunate events and a f**k up from the rta I've found myself in an *Laundo* of a situation.

Since I was informed that I had to restart my green p's since going DUI, I went ahead unknowingly and purchased a 180sx with a bit of work done. (Turboed)

After attempting an exemption I was unfortunately unsuccessful, so now I have a 250kw s13 sitting in my garage doing f**k all but looking Schmick.

I understand the current allowable power to weight ratio is 100kw/tonne, which my 180sx does not exempt such conditions.

After heartbreak and finally accepting that I'll have to wait the extra year, I came across the 'new power to weight ratio for provisional drivers in nsw, of 130kw/tonne' which is affective as of 1st august 2014.

Does this mean that an automatic OK is given for my 180sx since (stock) it has 153kw and it weighs 1225kg. Baring in mind I know these rules are for 'stock cars' and mine is anything but.

Don't want to get my hopes up as I don't have a second heart that can be broken and my other one is still on the mend.

Any advice/tips/heads up is much appreciated.

wouldn risk it matey. even if you do find a way to drive the 180 on yours greens you will be getting pulled over left right and center. keeping in my that p platers aren't allowed to have ANY modifications. so unless you can afford the fines and defects i'd say

option a - track it

option b - sell it and buy a stock turbo s chassis

option c - track it and buy a stock turbo s chassis :P

Spend $1000 on a shitbox with rego, sell after probation, drive 180.

• Upvote 1

um.. doesn't the rule state only new license holders after 1st August fall under these new laws?

if it does not then it wouldn't matter since your car is not stock, you will get done. making it complete sleeper of a car would only buy you sometime.

your license card will show what restriction you have against you, and that wont change until you do the time or advance to next level.

If selling isn't an option, buy an SR20DE, loom and ECU, then drop it in. Sit the turbo engine on a pallette or something and if you're sneaky, buy a spare starter motor and fab a mount bracket for it, or buy a used bellhousing and mount it to that. Hook the starter motor up to some jumper leads and crank it over every few days to keep the engine oiled, the seals lubed and the bore clean of corrosion.

You could do the SR20DE conversion on the turbo engine, using a DE manifold and exhaust, but it's low compression, will be even more gutless and will require a tune. You'll have fewer police issues with a legit DE engine and stock ECU, and it can always be sold at a later date for peanuts, as kids will demand DETs only.

Didn't notice that you only had to wait one year; thought it would be two. One year is nothing dude, just buy a sh*tbox as already suggested and wait it out. Use that time to clean the hell out of your 180sx, do everything that needs attention, and really go to town on it. There are a LOT of little upgrades you can do for peanuts, particularly with regard to electronics.

From personal experience, I recommend a Gen 1 Liberty wagon for a nice sh*tbox runaround. Full power options, massive cargo space and a fairly bulletproof engine. If you have to wait a year, it's really handy to get something that can allow you to easily get and transport parts for use or sale.

Pretty good pointers there, I guess waiting wot be so bad, considering I've already owned it for 1/3 a year, so I've actually got 9 months to go.

Saying that, it takes a women 9 months to pop one out FFS haha

Not much else I can do 😣

If you like the car, are financially stable and have space to keep it then just wait it out.

Not worth another suspended license, record and $1000 fine.

9 months will fly by

Ps. Call the RTA and tell them to connect you to the exemption board. Tell them your situation and see what they have to say about it. I doubt they'll give you an exemption but it's worth a go.

Edited by s13k's