Sign in to follow this  
wildsr20

Handbrake light issue

When I switch my ignition to the on position for the first time my handbrake light flashes 4 times and goes out. I have a nismo 240km cluster, 1993 model 180sx, was sr20, now converted to rb26. I have tested the switch and is fine. Turbo timer is wired into the handbrake so I need the car to shut off when the handbrake is dropped. At this stage it is like nothing has been done. Other than install the cluster, nothing else in the dash has been changed. Cluster looks like it's from a hicas model and mine is not. Does that matter? This is doing my head in.

brake fluid?

What calipers on the rear?

Do you have abs?

Flashing brake light on a lot of cars is for low brake fluid level.

• Upvote 1

Topped up brake fluid, cleaned sensor connector and still no change. I haven't got power at the handbrake wire in either position. Shouldn't it be 12v when lowered?

Pulled cluster out and I have power on one side of the globe, yet when I put the test light on the plug side the light comes on but no power after ther globe. Is this normal? Someone must know how all this works.

When the handbrake is down it will close the switch ending the circuit. Is your handbrake loose? As in wobbles around a bit? Sounds like something to do with you're turbo timer. Can you give a timeline of the car ie- bought it , swapped cluster , swapped motor now the light is flashing

Turbo timer was working perfectly, alarm was installed but ignition trigger was run off handbrake wire so alarm could be armed while timer ran down. There is no power at the socket for the handbrake regardless of position. No power at the wire on the socket that plugs into the dash either. I jumped power (fused of course) to the alarm ign trigger and turbo timer stopped. Dash cluster went in at time of engine conversion. However, no dash wiring ect was disrupted or cut. So your suggestion is to check handbrake for side to side movement? Just seems odd that I have power an one side of the globe in my cluster but not on the circuit board on the side leading up to the plug. Should I tap a 12v fuse power source to the wire running out of the plug? Maybe 10amp mini blade fuse? I am so lost and just need a wiring diagram so I can see where I can check for breaks in the circuit. I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to test wires and look for breaks and it's driving me insane.

Is the hand brake light in same spot on both clusters? Just thinking my seatbelt light flashes 4 times that's all

Same location on both clusters, hence why I traced the circuit board to check the wiring. The new cluster is out of a newer model as far as I can gather (has hicas light etc). But I didn't think that should matter. Mine was a SR cluster before the swap anyway.

My understanding of how it works is power is supplied from the board on one side of the globe, then the power is transferred through the globe then through the circuit board to the socket. That wire from the socket travels to the handbrake switch. The globe is lit when handbrake is pulled and earths the switch to complete the circuit?

Correct but it also goes through the brake fluid too

Would ideally need a diagram to trace it

Found the problem. On the circuit there is a second brk section. Pinched a globe and holder out of a spare dash cluster and hey presto, problem fixed. Hopefully the images come up ok cause I'm posting from mobile.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg