Sign in to follow this  
Ayhizzle

Overheating problem!

Helllooo, kinda having a shit night

I've recently bought a Holden rodeo 2000 model with a c22ne isuzu motor. I changed the oil and filter flushed the rad and noticed it had fk all in there and the over flow was dry so I put some new coolant in and topped the overflow and started it, 3-4 mins went by and I see my temp gauge crawling up to the top probs 2-3 mm off H

So I opened up the bonnet checked if any hoses were leaking everything seemed okay , but it was getting hot under there .

Does this seem like a stuck thermostat ?didnt think it's a water pump cause wouldnt the stuff just piss out everywhere ?

I had a slow leak on my water pump (SR20) from the weep hole. took about 1 week of driving to drain the coolant to the point where temps would go above normal.

check the underside of the water pump for that, I guess.

add more coolant, probably just haven't filled it right up, with a stuck closed thermostat, the temp would rise at a steady rate, all the way to hot, but it won't happen instantly.

add more coolant, probably just haven't filled it right up, with a stuck closed thermostat, the temp would rise at a steady rate, all the way to hot, but it won't happen instantly.

Yeah wasn't instantly it crawled up towards H after a few mins, radiators full

definitely change that thermostat next. If that fails then theres probably a slight blockage someplace, although you said you gave it a flush, therefore the blockage could be within the radiator.

so change thermostat, and test it, if its still f**ked replace radiator.

Check for leaks

Bleed system

Check coolant levels

Thermostat

Radiator itself

Kinked hoses (seen it happen usually heater hoses)

Etc

When its showing near hot, are the in and out hoses of the radiator both equally hot to touch about half way up each hose?

Yes- its flowing so not thermostat.

No- thermostat or worse cases blocked radiator or no more fins on the pump.

Top rad hose was hot as f**k didn't end up touching the other one , suspecting its the thermostat . I've ordered a new one do I'll let you know how it goes next week

So after getting f**ked around on getting a new thermostat and installing it the ute still crawls up to H the top radiator hose gets fairly hot the bottom hose isn't that bad . Now I'll try a new radiator -.- .

A similar thing happened to my old VS commodore. Turned out the water pump was shot. Very slight leak from the water pump.

Got a new one, installed it and the car barely went over 1/4 on the temp gauge.

Never overheated again.

You must also bleed the system properly. The holden engines must be fully bled as any air pockets will cause heat fluctuations.

A similar thing happened to my old VS commodore. Turned out the water pump was shot. Very slight leak from the water pump.

Got a new one, installed it and the car barely went over 1/4 on the temp gauge.

Never overheated again.

You must also bleed the system properly. The holden engines must be fully bled as any air pockets will cause heat fluctuations.

Cheers mate I'll take another look at the pump, and re bleed the system

I suggested checking the pump a month ago, FYI.

I suggested checking the pump a month ago, FYI.

And I took your advice in checking it

yeah wasnt being snarky, just wanted to make sure you did.

the best way to see if its the pump is take the thermostat out so that the water that leaks is cold and doesnt immediately evaporate.

drive for 2-3min to get water flowing and slightly warm, then turn it off. you should be able to find the leak then.

maybe blown head gasket.. is the oil all murky and shit?

When I got it it had abit of white under the cap but the car was sitting for a few months and never started so I thought it could be condensation . Checked the radiator if it was bubbling when I started the car seemed fine

When I got it it had abit of white under the cap but the car was sitting for a few months and never started so I thought it could be condensation . Checked the radiator if it was bubbling when I started the car seemed fine

My car sat in the backyard for a few months for me to fit up the turbo, didn't have any murky shit.

Usually early signs of a BHG will not bubble the radiator on idle, I suggest you comp test the motor

Theres a number of things you can do radiator water pump thermostat coolant temperature sensor etc