Sign in to follow this  
180 wanabe

Got a ticket for being too low, just a $110 fine apparently don't want to raise the car

The facts

Got pulled over and received a ticket for the car being too low

$110 fine, no points apparently, no defect notice

Don't need to go to the station or anything to show the car has been raised according to the officer

Just pay the fine apparently

Need to get a wheel alignment done, don't really want to raise the car as its set up at a fairly reasonable height at the moment

What happens if I am unlucky enough to get pulled over again some time in the future and I leave the car at the same height it is currently ? I'm noticing that this is happening a lot more to me in a yellow S15 than any other car I have owned before.

The story for those who want to read it

Well last Saturday I was heading to Bob jane to get some new tyres for the back of my car

Adamantly I was wasn't doing myself any favors by driving there with the pretty much shagged out tyres that were on the back from the Friday night drifts the night before. Not to mention the car was covered in dirt and mud from a bit of paddock bashing after coming off the track a few time.

Anyhow as I was driving along a blue highway patrol car went past me in the other direction and sure enough did a U turn 50m down the road and on came the lights and sirens

Pulled over and got my licence out

The officer told me that I had been pulled over for a random vehicle check, although pulling over a yellow S15 covered in mud with a cracked front bar probably wasn't exactly what I would call a random check. I did not even get hit up for a RBT

So anyhow as I got out of the car the nice officer pulled out his height roller thing and rolled it under the car. Sure enough it hit on my exhausts resonator, I got asked the usual questions about, did I know how low the car was and what the legal height was supposed to be. At the same time he mentioned the state of my tyres. I told him that I was actually on my way to get new ones, I was so getting ready for him to call bullshit, as seriously how many people try that one. I was ready to call up bob jane and get them to tell him on the phone that they had 2 new tyres waiting for me. But perhaps for some reason he believed me and just wrote me a ticket for being too low which was a fine of $110

I asked if I had to go to the station to show that the car had been raised to legal height. He just told me that I had to pay the fine within 21 or 28 days, cant remember. Am going to pay it this week on payday anyway.

I was going to get a wheel alignment done at the same time but put this off as I don't want to pay for a wheel alignment only to mess it up by raising the car....

Anyhow as this is not a defect notice and I don't have to go to the station, should I just pay the fine leave the car as it is and get on with life and book in a wheel alignment ?

Sounds like you got a half decent cop, guess he could of probably done you for the tyres too :thumb:

Well you sort of answered your own question?

You just got a fine for being "too low".

If you leave the car at the same height, What do you think will happen? No doubt a Cop will fine you again AND this time defect you. Here in Vic, Cops love that shit. So next time I doubt you'll be so lucky.

And to be honest, Your last question is like asking what color you should paint your car. Do what you want, Not what others think. If you want to NOT get pinned for height, Raise it. If you ceebs and just want to be slammed, Leave it. No doubt you will get defected next time.

Might just throw the c spanners in the boot, if I am unlucky enough to get pulled up for being too low again. No worries officer give me 45 mins and she will be a 4 x 4

Will then get defected for having adjustable coilovers

Lol

even though it sounds like you got lucky this time without requiring the fix, i would be 99% certain the next officer would still be likely to defect you properly for the height. Regardless of how this issue was 'resolved'

What exactly is the infringement notice for if not for a defective vehicle? Did he classify it as something else? Seems odd man...lucky, but odd.

The notice code is 4682 and simply says vehicle too low. Penalty $110

Looks just like a speeding ticket, nothing about a vehicle defect.

I was polite and cooperative with the officer. Guess its a bit of luck with who you get pulled over by, what mood they are in and how you seem to engage with them.

The annoying thing is that although the car is a bit low "previous owner had it an inch lower than what I have the car set up as now" the issue is with the exhaust hanging too low. No issues with the side skirts rear or front bar being too low

I will have to crawl under the car and see if there is any way it can be hung a little higher

Edited by 180 wanabe

contact fabulous fabrications they will be able to sort out the exhaust.

once exhaust is fixed, raise it so its just legal.

sounds like you got lucky this time bro! :thumbsup:

I'd probably see if you can get a slightly modified fab in the zorst as robbo suggested.

Yeah I think i got lucky

bought a heap of shit to get the front bar fixed this weekend + a tape measure. Will check how much clearance the zhust has and see if any tucking can be done. Will also raise the car a bit more so I can be legal with the zhust hung up higher if possible

Cops in qld know ya just gunna lower it again, they will just keep giving you fines until they notice I regularly or u give them cheek. There reasonable up here but ya car sounds like a drift pig n they will always pull u over regardless. I have a clean white s15 and had it slammed for a while, cops left me alone and when I got pulled over once for speeding they didn't mention anything about my car been slammed.

You do realise there are other ways of making your car a legal ride height without having to raise your car. Perhaps look at your exhaust which is most likely your reason your car isn't 100mm off the ground. Get it mounted closer to the floor of the car, get a different muffler. There are things you can do without making it a 4x4 and keep it legal.

Not that there is all that much activity on the QLD part of NS but for the record I ended up winding up the cars coilovers and getting the zhust hung higer

It was probably the easiest solution there man.

Given you said the point of fouling was the exhaust resonator, how about just changing it for another unit, or a custom made rectangular hotdog to ensure clearance?

From what I read, I gather your chassis rails clear, so why not just leave it at the same height and fix the actual problem?

EDIT: Read your last post. Somehow missed it.

Edited by pmod