Sign in to follow this  
nitsab

Tyre comparison re002 v 595rsr v ku36

Just wondering if anyone can provide a comparison with re002 v 595rsr v ku36?

I have owned both the 595rsr and the ku36 before, and was wondering how the potenza re002 stacks up, specifically on the track?

I'm not sure which tyres to buy , ku36 is my preference but have gone up a bit in price. The Bridgestone potenza tyres are super cheap and currently have the buy 3 + 1 free deal, however there are conflicting reports on wether these overheat on the track after a few laps.

Or maybe i shouldn't get any of the geese? I have been recommended the hankook rs3, however not sure on prices.

Thanks.

Hankook rs3 is the go for light street and track

HI there,

can't common about the RE002 however I find 595 RS-R out perform the KU36 on the track not to mention they don't harden up like the KU36.. they seem to have a longer life than the KU36 which turns into bricks within 6 months

I have had re002 I do not rate them - on stock rims, the amount of sidewall float is F-U-C-K-E-D. out right scary when you overtake cars at 120.

not had the ku36, but heard they go noisy once they wear down.

I currently have RS-R all round, the fronts are currently 3 years old, and honestly stop better in the wet then worn-in re002's.

I rate the rsr's for what they are.

but keep in mind, for a little bit more money look at the bridgestone re11 - should be better than the rsr - will be my next choice of tire.

Weird, I found RE002 good for street and also very good in the wet. I havent gotten onto a track yet but would expect them to be somewhat worse than the other two in terms of lap times and stuff. Have done hill run -in the wet- and didn't have any oops moments.

This is 205/55/r16 :P lol.

The loss of grip is predictable, feels like gradual drop off at more slip angle

maybe your pressures were a bit low? RE002 sidewalls aren't that great.

Edited by Skepticism

Currently using re002 on street car. Pretty good bang for buck tyre $200-215 for 235/40/18. Less hard core (wear/grip) than ku36 but definitely cheaper and great in the rain. Only had them on track once and they did get slippery after half a dozen brisk laps.

put Hankook RS3 into your options. IMO, they are the number 1 tyre on the market for dollar value and street/track crossover

currently running RSR atm and cannot fault them, but the rs3 is a superior tyre

ran the 002's on my evo 8 and I found them to be rubbish

put Hankook RS3 into your options. IMO, they are the number 1 tyre on the market for dollar value and street/track crossover

currently running RSR atm and cannot fault them, but the rs3 is a superior tyre

ran the 002's on my evo 8 and I found them to be rubbish

Good piece of advise I might try them :)

I was edging towards using Nitto NT-05 but not much reviews to be had on the interwebz

put Hankook RS3 into your options. IMO, they are the number 1 tyre on the market for dollar value and street/track crossover currently running RSR atm and cannot fault them, but the rs3 is a superior tyre ran the 002's on my evo 8 and I found them to be rubbish
Good piece of advise I might try them :) I was edging towards using Nitto NT-05 but not much reviews to be had on the interwebz

KU36 dont grip well cold, same for RSR, i found the RS3 to be the softer out of all of them, so they do tend to heat up and want to grip quicker.

If you want to try something new and slightly extend your budget. try bridgestone's RE11A. theyre meant to be incredible. i havent tried them myself though

first of all, understand RE002 cannot be compared to the RSR and KU36

let me simplify things so there's less confusion. Im not a tyre pro but its pretty clear where each tyre should be categorize.

Street tyres

RE002

Federal 595 supershit

toyo T1R

hankook ventus v12 evo

etc

Performance street tyres (high end/ultra end/god of street tyres, whatever you want to call them)

federal 595 RSR

KU36

Hankook RS3

advan AD08/AD08R

bridgestone RE11

achilles 123s

etc

Semi Slick

hankook z221

advan A050

bridgestone potenza RE-11S

toyo R888

I have used some of these and to be honest, if your serious about track work, semi slick, if your a weekend warrior and not chasing the best times, performance tyres, if your a streeter that thinks their drift king on the track or drift, street tyres though i would still recommend the performance tyres for track work, street tyres is more then enough for drifting unless you've got a proper drift purpose built car, go up a notch

a GOOD way to tell how much grip what tyre will provide is to check the tyre tread wear, lower means better dry grip but short life and vise versa. its nearly the same across all tyres within the same group.

side wall design needs to be driven and tested by the driver themselves and see what works for them. cant comment as its different for every car and driver, but some a known to be weaker then other, again you need to test it for yourself to see what works for you. Obviously better tyre means better side wall design; semi slick vs street

tyre pressure is absolutely critical to get the best out of your tyre whether it be street, performance, semi slick or slick.

i would go 595 RSR last, and RS3 or AD08R first choice. money and what price you can get these for is a good starting point.

Edited by AE86557

Hey guys, thanks for all the awesome info.

Have since looked into some of these tyres. I am running 17x8 +32 with 15mm spacer, so need to 215/45 on the front to be legal and basically fit.

RS3 - apparently they are completely out of stock of virtually anything

Archillies 123 - only make them in 235/45

NT01 / 05 - out of stock of 215/45

RE11- these seem way to expensive? Although haven't confirmed a price yet

Edited by nitsab

I've run nitto nt05s for the last 10,000k and they're not even close to needing replacing. I'd recommend them. Very very good in the dry once you've got heat into them and still excellent tyres on the track. I feel very confident with them in the wet despite their not to wet friendly tread pattern. They're way better than the 595s I used to have, but can't compare them to other tyres in the wet.

For what it's worth I did mid 1:09s around wakefield with just coilovers and around 200kw on 255 NT05s, a mate did 1:08s with about 230kw, same size RS3s, pretty much every suspension/steering mod you can buy. So only around a second difference in time despite the setup differences

No one seems to mention R1R's anymore but I still haven't found a better Tyre in the wet and fantastic in the dry.

i ran a hillclimb at the weekend, with some fresh rsr's on, was a rained soaked event, must say i am impressed with the rsr's! good grip from cold, no understeer at all, even with a locked diff, unfortunately i haven't ran any of the other tyres before, also came 3rd in class, so wasn't taking it too easy ;)

No one seems to mention R1R's anymore but I still haven't found a better Tyre in the wet and fantastic in the dry.

Was wondering this too.

Are they still the be all, end all street tyre?

I ran the 595RSR as my street/track tyre for about 1 1/2 years and about 5 trackdays and they still have plenty of tread left.

Good treadwear, decent wet weather performance and damn grippy when warmed up.

Can't compare to the RE002 and KU36 though as I've never tried them on track, but from my research the RS3's would be my pick next time if you don't want to go semi's.

I've got RE002 for road use, crazy grip especially in the rain. :thumb:

When they wear out, might drop back to less gripy tires. Don't want to damage my gearbox/clutch.

When they wear out, might drop back to less gripy tires. Don't want to damage my gearbox/clutch.

That's the funniest quote for the day lol. Having grip won't damage them. Driving it like a honda will :)

That's the funniest quote for the day lol. Having grip won't damage them. Driving it like a honda will :)

my turbo comes on with a sudden rush, old tyres would spin up on boost

Now with the RE's there is no more wheel spin, just shoots off like a rocket. That extra stress/grip cant be good on my clutch/box

I've got RE002 for road use, crazy grip especially in the rain. thumb.gif

That's the funniest quote for the day lol. Having grip won't damage them. Driving it like a honda will smile.png

Now with the RE's there is no more wheel spin, just shoots off like a rocket. That extra stress/grip cant be good on my clutch/box

:huh: may as well take the turbo off your car then....

• Upvote 1

each to their own lol.

the re is ok for what it is, certainly a lot beter choices out there for similar coin ;)

just sayn'

I have a gt3076 and that thing comes on suddenly. I'm running 265 rears and there's no way it will spin the tyres. That's not what damages ya 6speed. It's slamming gears and trying to chirp or spin tyres into the next gear. You have nothing to worry about just shift nicely!

I have used both re002's and ku36's for fronts drifting at winton.

Re002 were okay, had abit of understeer at times but lasted ages compared to the ku36's, ku36's were awesome for grip, just didn't last that long.

how much power is your car putting down?

I have the RE002's on the front (tread wear 220) and Eagle F1's on the rear (tread wear 300) and lets just say my Silvia wont be receiving a Christmas card this year from either of the pair.

Mines only making 250kw at the wheels too, forget it in the wet, just have to drive around off boost i cant even attempt to overtake people.......