Sign in to follow this  
Muges

14 car pileup on south road

I was on my way home from work today and noticed a few cop cars diverting traffic up flaggy road as the traffic lights were out. Saw about 5 ambulances going in all directions so figured it must've been bad. traffic was backed up to the victoria hotel from the bottom of south road! just saw on the news that there was a 14 car pileup after a semi lost its brakes and ploughed into all these cars sending them everywhere. Hopefully no one was killed but there were definately a few injuries. school children too apparently.

AN out-of control truck ploughed into at least ten cars on the down-track of Main South Rd this afternoon.

Ten people have been taken to Flinders Medical Centre, nine are said to be in satisfactory conditions while another sustained serious injuries.

The truck appears to have lost its air-brakes near Seacombe Rd, Darlington, as it travelled North towards the city.

The truck veered into the two right-hand lanes of traffic on Main North Rd clipping cars as it approached the intersection.

It then hit a traffic light and two street lights as it jack-knifed across the intersection of Seacombe Rd and damaged seven caravans in a business on the corner.

A 4WD clipped by the truck was badly damaged , spraying its occupants- four or five girls in swim suits on their way home from the beach- with glass. One girl was taken to hospital, while several of the others sustained minor cuts.

"The girls in bathers all came pouring out of the car crying," said David Sutherland of Highbury, whose car was the first to be clipped by the semi-trailer.

"Those girls had just been out for a nice day and they wouldn't have even seen it coming," he said.

Mr Sutherland said the truck jack-knifed and skidded through the intersection.

"Poor bloke must have lost his brakes," he said. "I was the first one he nudged and I looked up and there was this big red truck".

"When you look at these cars it's just a miracle no-one was killed," Mr Sutherland said.

The driver of one of the most seriously damaged cars, a silver Mercedes, said "when I got out of the car it was just absolute devastation".

Witnesses say the truck driver got out of the passenger side and collapsed on the road. He was not seriously injured.

MFS crews are working to contain about 600 litres of diesel which spilled from the truck and sprayed cars as it ploughed past them. There are fears the diesel could get into nearby waterways.

Major crash investigators are at the scene and the road is expected to be blocked for several more hours.

More details and pictures will appear as they become available.

yea i saw this on the news looked bad, i must have just got home before this happened as there was no traffic jams for me

Yeah, they'll be there for a while cleaning up the fuel, so avoid that area. But luckily I heard the same as Dan, and people only had a few cuts and bruises and no one was seriously injured.

hmm just saw it on the news again. its wasnt 9 cars it was 14

also on Port Wakefield Rd this arvo some twit managed to roll his/her car. didn't appear to be any other cars involved and there wasn't any white sheets on the ground ;)

take care on the roads people cos i hate being stuck in traffic

glynburn road, and magill road intersection has aburst water main....

water pissing everywhere, might be under repairs atm

Brighton road! Crazy traffic on there tonight. Backed up from Somerton Park to past Seacliff. Anyone know the story? I didn't see anything.

damn, i had to go driving past the flag staff hill intersection and traffic was still banked up bad now.

hope no one was too seriously hurt

Firies / ambos & politzi screaming past my work on south road for a good hour - I knew it had to be something big.

Did anyone see the footage on the news? Hard to believe no one was killed.

im thinking i might take another route to work tomorrow.

holy hell!! jus saw the pics. i was along tapleys wondering why it was so backed up. the traffic was that crazy it was chockers all the way to harbour town. all along brighton road morphett road jus every main road in that area was horrible.

jus so lucky that no one died :yes:

south road is such a bitch, its always againt you. especially when people park on the side of the road.

driving back from the ignition cruise there was another accident down there almost the same place. BA gt i think (the BA falcon with stripes) lost it at high speeds and slammed into the grard rail. car was messed up but the dude seemed ok

^^^south roads done it again...

although the britania round a bout has no friends either i spose

driving back from the ignition cruise there was another accident down there almost the same place. BA gt i think (the BA falcon with stripes) lost it at high speeds and slammed into the grard rail. car was messed up but the dude seemed ok

Ah saw the damage to the guard rail this morning on my way out, you'd have to be moving to lose it going round there.

ive got no problem at all with britania roundabout. you look at the lanes you need to give way to, and when their free... you go... simple... i dont see why people get so scared of it. its fine. and yes i go through it 2 times a day in peak hour.

Yeah i used to hate the Briania roundabout then i realised there is f**k all to it really.

But there are some serious dumb shits that sit there in peak hour.... I will admit that roundabout does also have the every man for him self feel about it, in peakhour that is.

ive got no problem at all with britania roundabout. you look at the lanes you need to give way to, and when their free... you go... simple... i dont see why people get so scared of it. its fine. and yes i go through it 2 times a day in peak hour.

the problem isnt the round about, its most of the people who use it.....

so did the truck loose its breaks and just plow through the stopped cars? i only herd a snippet of it....