Sign in to follow this  
dusky007

Harness Install Without Harness Bar

NOTE: RACING HARNESSES ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR STREET USE! SERIOUS INJURY COULD OCCUR IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT!

First you need to have the items you need for the installation

Depending on your setup, you will need either two eyelet bolts, and two L brackets- If you have a 4 PT harness, with all 4 parts having the c clips on them.

wr5_a_1_.jpg

Or simply two eyebolts- If your rear straps have the holes to be bolted in on them (not very common, most have the clips like the above on all 4 parts)

short_screw_1_.jpg

eyebolts

Ok....now the fun part:

This is 180/silvia specific only.

Find some eyebolts that thread into the rear mounting bolts for the seat. There is one that his horizontal on the console side, and one that is vertical on the driver side. Replace the bolt with the Eyebolt for your harness. Make sure its tight please.

Go ahead and clip in the lap belts there .

For your shoulder straps - put them through your seat/in the middle of your headrest/racing seat holes. Whatever it is that you are putting it in, make sure when you put it through, you cross the harness straps. This is for safety reasons.

Once they are crossed like this:

r5_a_1_.jpg

Bolt them down to the seatbelt mounting points behind your seat using either an eyelet bolt, or simply bolting them down (depending on style).

Now just so you know the reasoning behind the mounting points shown here:

man_side_1_.jpg

Those are the acceptable mounting angles for most competitive organizations. Follow it, it's there for a reason.

Make sure everything is tight.

Hey :)

I'm about to put in a 5 PT Harness from my dad's Torona from his racing days. =D

I'm abit fizzled now for when you say "NOTE: RACING HARNESSES ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR STREET USE! SERIOUS INJURY COULD OCCUR IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT!" - Wouldn't racing harnesses be better in case of an accident??? I mean, race cars use them for this very reason!?

Other then that, love the tut!

FL

if you ran straight into a truck and you couldn't duck down. wouldn't you be dead on the street in a racing harness? =)

harder to get people out of them in serious accidents.

are racing harnesses illegal for street use?

i was under the impression that they were illegal... but there are some cars that have a similar set up from the factory

interesting

I was told something along the lines of

They are legal if you retain factory seat belt.

But with all this stuff, call someone who makes the rules, not NS :)

Sign in to follow this