Sign in to follow this  
Helliquin

300zx Wing Removal

Started working on getting the Z'd back on the road again. While I dont have access to an engine crane and that side of the project is stalled I can still work on the cosmetics.

Started with the rear wing, as this had some water damage causing the pain to bubble and split. I figured this may also be doing damage to the boot lid underneath so..off it came. Glad I took it off. Fair amount of shit under it.

Now...where can I take the boot lid to get the holes fixed up and resprayed? :P

If your going to do this you will need:

8mm socket, screwdriver, brute strength, Snap-off blade (optional), hair dryer (optional - ask you mum).

1. Take off the interior plastic surrounds on the boot lid. There are two seperate peices, one surrounding the boot lock mechanism and the one large panel hiding the rear wiper. The screws are right next to the mechanism and in each corner respectively.

2. Unscrew the two bolts holding the brake light onto the bracket (located inside the boot lid), and unclip the male/female wire connection. Unscrew the two screws in the brake light (located on the outside). Remove.

3. Unscrew the two bolts connecting the wing to the boot lid. These are located inside the lip of the boot lid on either corner.

4.Start at either end of the wing. If your wing is like mine, you should be able to get a finger hold under it and just pull upwards. If your wing is in good condition, heat it up with a hair dryer to make the glue sloppy, then slide a snap-off blade under the wing, cutting the glue. At this point you should be able to get a soft item (ocky strap) under the wing and use this as leverage.

5. Work your way along the wing, pulling harder at each clip. Once you reach the bolts that you unscrewed in step 3, pull from the bottom lip towards the front of the car. This avoids the bolt scratching the paint work underneath. Continue along. Swearing is optional, but seems to help.

6. Admire you handy-work, then swear again at the rust and crap underneath, and now realise you have to patch the hole where the brake light was recessed into.

carwing005.jpg

Underneath the rear wing.

carwing006.jpg

The fooked rear wing.

carwing007.jpg

Shows where the clips are located, how much glue was on it and the crap underneath.

carwing008.jpg

Where the brake light used to be, and the difference in body shape now.

carwing010.jpg

How the fook an im going to patch that hole up...geesh.

good work... looks like you will need to get it welded... Brighton smash repairs did good work on my boot... otherwise there is s&s bodyworks. Some people here would reccomend highway smash repairs or diprose bodyworks.

Where is the place that Ben goes? Down at Margate? Highway smash or something like that.

Nice work.

Gonzo (local member on aus300zx.com) makes a few different style fibreglass skins for the rear hatch. That could be another option.

Mine has a fibreglass infill panel, no third brake light.

2f637b81.jpg

Edd - Ya, I agree. Those massive wings do look pretty shite. I will be going brazillian for a while methinks.

Jono - Did Gonzo do that fibreglass fill in panel for you? I PM'd him on aus300 earlier asking about it.

Jono - Did Gonzo do that fibreglass fill in panel for you? I PM'd him on aus300 earlier asking about it.

Nope, was imported with that wing (& infill panel).