Sign in to follow this  
i want a silvia

Painting your stereo surround and interior plastics

Everytime someone gets into my car they comment on how nice my painted stereo surround looks. Then they ask "is it factory?"

Of course not, it was a DIY job! I am a bit of a perfectionist, so if you want to achieve a perfect paint job on your stereo surround or any interior plastics for that matter, then this guide is for you.

Keep in mind it has been a while since I did this, so apologies if I forget any steps.

Stuff needed:

Mineral turpentine

Spray paint - finishing coat

Spray paint - undercoat/primer

Spray paint - clear coat

Sandpaper - 120 and 280 or so grade

Sanding block

I used Dulux spray paint in white for both the undercoat and finishing coat, it was quick drying and gave a brilliant finish. I also used a Dulux clear coat for the final layer.

You should allow at least two (sunny) days to do this properly. If you don't want to do it properly, then feel free to do it in a couple of hours and have your interior looking like Sick Habib's VL down the road.

How it is done:

1. Remove your shift knob (if manual). Use your fingers or a small screwdriver to prise the stereo surround off the center console. Don't crack or snap any of the plastic - it should just unclip gradually.

2. Remove the gearboot (if manual).

3. Are there any cracks or imperfections in the plastic? If so, superglue them up. Don't worry about getting glue everywhere, it will all be sanded back eventually.

4. Okay, if you have glued anything, and it is dry, you are ready to start sanding! Use the 120 grade sandpaper first, making sure that there are no dips in the plastic. You can use a sanding block to keep everything nice and flat. Also sand the bits extending into the DIN pocket and the sides of the surround as often there are surface scratches etc which can show up in the paint.

5. Once the surface is nice and flat with no ripples or imperfections (bar the rough surface), hit it with the 280 (or higher) grade sandpaper. The aim now is to just sand in one direction. Remember the old saying: "The prep makes or breaks the paintjob."

6. Once it is perfect, grab some turps and a rag and wipe all the dust off. Rub all the turps off and make sure the surface is completely devoid of any left over turps or dust.

7. Now it is ready to paint! Start with the primer - and SHAKE THE CAN heaps first to avoid any splattering. When spraying, hold the can a good distance away first and then gradually bring it in so it is lightly coating the plastic. You don't want drips or running.

8. After the primer coat has dried, repeat steps 5 & 6. Then do step 7 again.

9. You should do at least three coats of primer before moving on to finishing coats. Each time you paint, you should wait for it to dry and then repeat steps 5 & 6 again. From memory, I did four coats of primer and two finishing coats before I did a single clear coat.

10. Lastly, when your paint is perfect and just how you want it, do a single clear coat on top of the final coat (which you shouldn't have sanded). The clear coat will protect from scratches and keep it looking nice and shiny.

And there you go, a quick and easy 10-step guide providing a little bit more ricey goodness in your interior! The white looks great at night with my blue glow from the stereo. :D

interiorresized.jpg

i think u should use metho to clean with not turps. turps leave oil

Wax and grease remover should be used, turps will work and metho. But id advise Wax and grease.

Good write up. Did you use a plastic/vinyl paint as a base coat to prevent possible cracking in the future?

it looks really gud i tried painting the plastics in my first car i had a swift gti and all the paint ran. but atleast i no how 2 do it now

I did this to my car it looks pimp. Theres also alot of other small parts you can easily paint which make your interior look good. I'll post something when i finish my interior.

cheers mate.. now i no the process. i think im gonna give it a go.. <_>

i did basically the same process but i retrimmed the glove box and the middle box in white vinyl instead of spraying....i have another post about doing vinyl if ne one wants to try it.....

heres how my respraying went though....

only heads up is be careful of the clear...to many layers or perhaps just a crappy brand and it starts to take on a yellowy tinge and the brilliant white you started with become a duller cream colour....

gr8 write up tho man....

PIC_0023.jpg

PIC_0026.jpg

PIC_0027.jpg

PIC_0036.jpg

PIC_0039.jpg

PIC_0041.jpg

i did basically the same process but i retrimmed the glove box and the middle box in white vinyl instead of spraying....i have another post about doing vinyl if ne one wants to try it.....

heres how my respraying went though....

only heads up is be careful of the clear...to many layers or perhaps just a crappy brand and it starts to take on a yellowy tinge and the brilliant white you started with become a duller cream colour....

gr8 write up tho man....

PIC_0023.jpg

PIC_0026.jpg

PIC_0027.jpg

PIC_0036.jpg

PIC_0039.jpg

PIC_0041.jpg

very clean 180sx and clean paint job !!

So looks like everyone is agreeing on white as the best colour? Im thinking bout doing mine but unsure on what colour, i have a black s13 sr20, anyone got any ideas?

charcoal looks good inside. my brother stagea has factory charcoal painted plastics inside, and it looks sweet

cheers for that man, I'm doing something similar to my car I'm going to paint it silver like the 200sx Z edition, around the center console, vents and where the speedo sits in its needs something to break up the black look in there lol

Im very curious as to how you were able to remove the vent things and put them back in without breaking them. I tried to remove the surrounding plastic of my middle vent to paint it and it broke while I was trying to get it out. Now I have to find a new one *swearing filters own me* lol

Everytime someone gets into my car they comment on how nice my painted stereo surround looks. Then they ask "is it factory?"

No offense, but if someone hops in your car and asks "is it factory", means it doesn't look factory, because they noticed it.

Great write up.Tried this in a few previous cars,and always had the paint run/look crap on the finish.Will definately look into it for the next one

No offense, but if someone hops in your car and asks "is it factory", means it doesn't look factory, because they noticed it.

None taken. For what it's worth, about two years ago I started hating painted interior plastics (unless the original colour was black and it was painted black etc). I do not recommend anyone carry out this DIY mod, but if you do you will get good results. :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this