Sign in to follow this  
m&m

Running thread

Running is an important part of training,especially for athletes.Football,Soccer,Rugby,Tennis,Basketball etc all require you to run,not jog,there is a big difference and jogging has no part in modern sport,just watch Ben Cousins play footbal and you will see what I mean.He sprints from contest to contest,during a stoppage watch him take in big gulps of air trying to recover,he gets rotated more than any other elite midfielder cause he runs himself into the ground.This is the modern way and West Coast are leading the way.

I havent run in years,I did so much of it in my football days,it was a neccesary evil,I get my heart pumping in different ways now.I also believe thats why my knees are in great shape now at age 44 and allow me to do close to double bodyweight squats.

My wife still runs and she is planning to do the Melbourne Marathon next year.She ran a Half Marathon a few years back and ended up with stress fractures in both femurs.It was her first ever 21km run and she made it in under 2 hours,she actually thought it would be harder and didnt go very hard early,plus she only really trained for it on short notice.She now alternates between 10k and 5k runs every second day,she actually prefers it over weights.I think she wants to compete in a Fun Run this weekend,now thats an oxymoron :lol:

Please post up your running training,routines,best times over assorted distances,anything running related,shoes you prefer,goals,events etc

This is my summer running program that i start at day light savings, last i do two of these a week and dont go to the next level until ive done every run with in the times, and do a single solid timed run at the end of the week to see my progress last year i lost 9kg (without eating less) and cut my 14 min run by almost 2 mins to 12:08 in a couple of months.

This is one of the best programs ive used to get fit (but its hard work... try it)

Summer Running Program

Session 1: 1km (4min 25 sec)

15 x 100m (23 sec with 10 sec rest) * 30 sec rest after 10

Session 2: 1.5km (6min 30 sec)

10 x 100m (23 sec with 10 sec rest)

Session 3: 1.5km (6min 30)

15 x 100m (23 sec with 8 sec rest)

Session 4: 2 x 1km (4 min 24 sec)

* 1 min 30 sec rest

10 x 100m (23 sec with 8 sec rest)

Session 5: 4 x 1km (4 min 30 sec) * 1 min rest

Session 6: 2 x 1km (4 min 15 sec)

* 1 min rest

15 x 100m (22 sec with 8 sec rest)

Session 5: 1 x 1km (4 min)

20 x 100m (22 sec with 8 sec rest)

Session 6: 1 x 1km (4 min)

25 x 100m (22 sec with 8 sec rest)

Session 7: 2 x 1km (4 min 15 sec)

* 1 min 30 sec rest

20 x 100m (22 sec with 8 sec rest)

Session 8: 2 x 1km (4min 15 sec)

*1min 30 sec rest

25 x 100m (22 sec with 7 sec rest)

Session 9: 1 x 1km (4 min)

2 x 500m (2 min with 30 sec rest)

35 x 100m (22 sec with 7 sec rest)

Session 10:2 x 1km (4min 15 sec)

1 min rest

30 x 100m (22 sec with 7 sec rest)

Session 11:2 x 500m (2 min with 30 sec rest)

1 x 1km (4 min)

10 x 100m (21 sec with 7 sec rest)

Session 12: 4 x 1km (4 min 15 sec)

* 1 min rest

5 x 100m (20 sec with 7 sec rest)

Session 13:6 x 500m (2 min with 30 sec rest)

15 x 100m (21 sec with 7 sec rest)

youll notice that as you move on times get quicker, breaks get shorter and you have to do more (you know your really fit if you can finish this program

My running extent atm is simply doing 6 minute miles which is which is a little quicker than i need to do to pass my fitness test. Im not really interested in running much more than that... :)

Ideally I should be breaking it up into 400 sprints.. And decreasing the rest inbetween each, but most of my effort is into the pool atm.

As my parents have gone away, im walking their dog for them atm. 3km run/walk with the dog a day, running up hill, quick walk down hills. Get home from that, 10x20m sprints, walk back, 10 pushups before i start the sprint, that way as i come up from the 10th pushup i can explode into the sprint, it hurts :lol:

can you say the same thing about swimming? ie. if you sprint your distances rather than swim normally, would it be better than jogging? Obviously it wouldnt be as good as running, just wondering though.

can you say the same thing about swimming? ie. if you sprint your distances rather than swim normally, would it be better than jogging? Obviously it wouldnt be as good as running, just wondering though.

Yes, but drink.. Keep your fluids up, otherwise you dehydrate yourself, and over eat afterwards to compensate.

Oooh yeah: m&m you rock for whipping up a running thread!

I generally run 80-120km/week depending on the season, ie. if I'm running middle-distance (1500m/3000m/5000m track) then it's probably closer to 80km with an increase in speed sessions whereas winter road/XC season (5km-21.1km) sees at least 110-120km generally with the length of long runs increasing to around 30-35kms.

At the min weeks are looking like this:

Mon: 60min (15kms) road

Tues: 60mins (13kms) with 60% run on sand

Wed: rest, maybe hit the gym or 50+kms on the bike

Thurs: 90mins (20-22km) road

Fri: 60mins easy (grass/sand etc)

Sat: rest, maybe hit the gym or 50+km on the bike

Sun: longrun of 2hrs+ (25-35km)

This is basically the base-building period where I gain aerobic fitness after spending 9 months away from competition with a metatarsal fracture and ITB niggles.

Give it a few more weeks and I'll prob throw in some speed sets and it might look something like this:

Mon: 60mins (15kms) road

Tues: AM 8km easy, PM 6x1km (2:50-3:00)

Wed: 60mins easy

Thurs: AM 8km easy, PM 8x600m w/200m jog recovery (grinding!) or fartlek/hills session

Fri: 60mins easy

Sat: 40mins temp + 20mins easy

Sun: longrun (20-30km) generally offroad @ Mt Dandy where Deek/Ron Clarke & Australia's best ran their sets

We'll just see how long the body can holdup before something breaks down for the 10millionth time!

If anyone has any queries on anything running-related, I'm happy to hear em. I'm no guru but have been coached, have competed (poorly!) and have read about every running related book/article known to man...

Kairazy: nice program

Hey Ralph,how tall are you and what do you weigh?

What are some of your best times over common distances?

Have you run a marathon?

Great to have a go-to guy with regards to running.Please post up training related threads.

Cheers

Markos

I've found running heaps just chops me down in terms of gaining muscle mass. So I try and keep it relatively short, as in a run up and down the beach for 20mins or so followed by a 15min swim. All up the 35 mins doesn't seem to chop me down too badly, maintains fitness and keeps bodyfat in check.

I've spoken to the bloke I get my suppliments from, he's huge with very low body fat and he has the same thing, so he actually recommended walking ie low intensity cardio for an extended period. Tried it, not as good as running IMO

Gday m&m!

How tall am I and what do I weigh? I'm 183cm and 63kg. Although I've always dabbled in free-weights I never really gain much muscle-mass due to the catabolic process of running.

Best times over common distances?

1500m unsure as although I love the blue-ribbon event, I really havent given it a serious crack

3000m 8:51,

5000m 15:20,

10km 32:34

21.1km unsure, once again the 1/2 will be my future aim although the last two I ran were shite

None of those times are particularly good, although I'm 24, have run since I was 19 with NO childhood sporting activity and at least 2yrs lost due to 2x metatarsal stress-fracture, ITB inflammation, bursitis of hip-flexor, and plantar fasciitis.

Have I run a marathon? No, but Oprah and P.Diddy have and so have 20millions others and they all ran (IMHO) woeful times. I'm aiming to run Melb Mara in 2008 hopefully after 2 years of 6000km/year and aim for a sub 2:45 (but we shall see!)

Tom Tucker: yeah I have a few mates that play VFL footy and are advised to go easy on the running due to its catabolic properties resulting in decreased muscle-mass. The swim shouldnt do you any harm as it's not a weight-bearing activity, wont burn as many calories, and should increase muscle-mass due to the resistance of the water.

Damn thats light. Good times mate.

I only believe in running if I'm being chased by something with intent to harm me....other than that running can go to hell!

Cardio is evil, starvation FTW!!!

Ralph,your selling yourself short,those times are truly impressive,and if you succeed in a sub 2.45.00 marathon,I will be very impressed.

Please keep us up to date on your training.How important is it to run 6000km/year in training for a marathon?

I done the 100km oxfam trailwalk/run in 2005. It was pretty funny beacause my mates and I didn't do any long distance training at all for it becuase we thought we would just wing it. Because of that about 8 of us got knee injuries. We were definetly fit enough but the body wasn't prepared enough to run 100km. I got injured about the 40km mark but didn't want to pull out so limped the next 60km lol. That was probably a dumb thing to do but as if I was going to pull out after doing 40km lol.

Hey ralph I noticed you do your speed work as your second workout when your not fresh. Is there a reason for this? I dread 1km intervals. What is your preferred distance? What distance do you find the hardest, not including marathon. Do you like cars? I do. The end.

Definitely agree with you on Ben Cousins, the best gut-busting runner in the AFL. Watching him collapse when he gets over the boundary not even making it to the bench is pretty inspiring. However i do believe that people on this board would be more impressed with brendan fevola, winning the player sprint (off a handicap) easily at aroung 100kgs.

180GO: Yeah I'm relatively light but I'd say I was around 61kg two years ago in August (middle of winter season), although I dont think a low weight is necessarily required to run long/fast.

m&m: How important is it to run 6000km/year x2 for a marathon? There's no secret formula, although I honestly believe nothing can substitute a solid aerobic base and mileage in the bank. I'm a big fan of the Lydiard method of training (as are many elite runners such as Mottram & NCAA guys) which relies on a large aerobic base prior to any sharpening or speedwork. Lydiard trained Olympic mid-distance guys (Peter Snell: 2x gold in 800m & 1x gold in 1500m) on 100miles (160km!) weekly rain or shine and demonstrated the importance of base-fitness for all distances over 400m. Apologies for going off on a tangent, but in response to the question clocking up consistent mileage would give me the mental edge (read:confidence) to give the mara a good crack.

As far as your wife (aiming for the 1/2 or full) is concerned, I think the most important run of the week in training is the long run as no amount of shorter runs can prepare you for several hours on your feet consecutively. I'd advise anyone aiming for the full mara to have completed at least 4-5 30km+ runs prior to the day. I advise having a poke around this site: http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreport.shtml Pete Pftitzinger is quite well renowned these days and a lot of his info is marathon specific

180GO: Trailwalker? I'm bloody impressed! Walk, run, or crawl, 100km is a damn long way. Yeah I LOVE cars, although I actually dont own one at present as I've shifted interstate for uni and had to sell my car (bought another pushbike though!). Considering buying a Peugeot 205GTi when I come home to Melb in late Nov. I know: FWD NA French sacrilege but I've still got a few more years of study and I cant do a Sil or any turbo car justice in my financial situation. Maybe one day I'll snap up an S15 with dished Volks and a disco-potato but not for a few more years...

Re speedwork: the 8km in the morning has minimal impact on my evening session as it's done at around 5:30min/km's. I agree that you would assume it would take away the edge; when my coach first suggested it a few years ago I was sceptical but you'd be surprised how little easy-mileage impacts on speedwork. Like you I also dread 1km intervals although definitely see value in them. My preferred racing distance in 10km & 21.1km (1/2 mara) road, although I dont mind any distance over 800m (ran deadlast in an 800m early on and the feeling has never left me!). Do any of you guys ever get out there and have a crack at any fun runs or anything?

Try a 2.4km run. I'd be very interested in your results.

Yeah? Why that particular distance?

I'd safely say it'd be around ???mins (Edit) or so based on recent 3km BUT I know many guys that would smash that time.

I'll tell you when you do it lol.

Haha, I actually came back to edit my last post as I'm not that crazy about 'speculation' of results, ie. my guess at how fast I could run a particular distance without actually ever timing it.

It's some sort of standardised military test isnt it? A bloke at the pub was telling me about his 2.4km TT and asking me to guesstimate his Perth City to Surf time and he was a military man.

I think the most interesting 'speculation' going around at the min (I'm sure m&m will agree) concerns Lance Armstrong's projected time for New York marathon which he is running in November this year.

How fast can the worlds greatest (arguably) distance cyclist run 42.2km?

There have been enormous debates online particularly as Lance was a top juniour triathlete prior to being a pro rider. Apparently his VO2 MAX equates to that of a sub 2hr8min marathoner, although it's also agreed that running and riding place vastly different demands on the lungs and ticker. I'll take a stab at 2:40 based on interviews suggesting that he's doing more partying than training.

Keen to hear what people think...

i would love to do more running, but alas i have ozgood shlatters, and achilies tendinitis. Both nasty, esp for running..

I do do lotsa cardio tho, i Skip, row, bike ride, and do X trainor. I might start a thread on non-running cardio workouts..

Annoying thing is tho, that all gym related cardio machines have different settings so its hard to compare.. :(

Would be very interesting to see Lance Armstrongs results in the marathon. Hopefully he hasn't lost to much fitness.

Haha, I actually came back to edit my last post as I'm not that crazy about 'speculation' of results, ie. my guess at how fast I could run a particular distance without actually ever timing it.

It's some sort of standardised military test isnt it? A bloke at the pub was telling me about his 2.4km TT and asking me to guesstimate his Perth City to Surf time and he was a military man.

I knew 2 blokes that were in the military. They both could run 2.4km in the 7:40 area sometimes 7:30's. One done very limited cardio work(naturaly an athlete, built just like an AFL player tall about 6'4", 88-90kg) and the other one was probably 5'9"-5'10", 88-90kg probably 20% bodyfat (he had a gut lol) but in his younger days competed in the A series triathlon or something like that, don't know much about the comp. Both could get in the 16's on the beep test.

Yeah those times are impressive, although the 16's on the beep test actually surprise me. Still, I've been shocked before...

Has anyone seen the Craig Mottram "Big Mazungo" DVD that came with 'Alpha' magazine in August? It's absolutely unreal! You've gotta love Buster: fastest white-man on Earth, and according to him, fastest one-on-one (no pacemakers) runner in the world! Shook hands with him after he won A-Series 5000m in '04 and honestly for me it was like shaking hands with Ronnie Coleman/Schumacher/Ronaldinho...

Edit: Mottram also mentions going through 85 pairs of shoes a year!!!

Do you mean 16's seems to fast? Their times are out of this world for how much training they did.

Yep, I mean the beep test time is incredibly fast but not improbable. m&m: would you agree from your experience re AFL training camps etc?

Nobody at the Australian Institute of Sport had recorded that time,according to the sleeve that comes with the CD,a boxer was highest at high 15's,I have lent my copy to a Soccer coach,I'll get it back and post up the highest scores from every sport.

In my experience The Squirrel is the most honest guy on this forum,and if he said they ran 16 I believe him.

Its the conditions I'd question,but in The Squirrels occupation,they tend not to get things wrong too often.

Would be very interesting to see Lance Armstrongs results in the marathon. Hopefully he hasn't lost to much fitness.

Probably shit im guessing

Yep, I mean the beep test time is incredibly fast but not improbable. m&m: would you agree from your experience re AFL training camps etc?

I think the reason their times are good is because they have incredible willpower. I could (as in used too lol)get in the 15's and these 2 would leave me for dead. They are for real. The over weight bloke could of got a better result if he could actually sprint lol. He was seriously disgustingly fit back in the day. As fit as they come pretty much. He went in a 10km race 3 or 4 years ago and come 3rd. The only people that beat him was someone trying out for the Australian 5000m olympic team and the other one was winning the local triathalon competition. They didn't beat him by much. I would of loved to train with him when he was competitive.