Sign in to follow this  
m&m

Diet advice

i think this thread needs another clean up :)

I find it hard to eat as much as i should be, not because i'm not hungry but because i'm always preoccupied with other things, gotta get my priorities straight, an average daily intake for me might consist of

- brekky - protein smoothie (2eggs, 2 bananas, ice cream, milk Pro powder) and toast, sometimes cereal as well

- snacks of museli bars when accesible

- smoko and lunch are had across the road at the take away, but consist of (real) chicken burgers, or steak burgers, something like that anyway

-protein powder and milk after work

gym

then more protein and milk

Dinner - generally it's a steak and potatoes or rice/cous cous, chicken stir fry, love my veges, and then there's the chocolate, occasional deserts and pizzas/chinese take away and evening bourbon drink in front of the TV

My biggest annoying thing is a younger sister at 18, working casual, i need a seperate lockable fridge, she'll eat anything that's there that's easy to cook, but wont restock it or give a hoot - bitch, so half the food i get for myself is gone by the second day, even after i tell her again and again why i get the stuff, and then theres the $$ it doesn't come cheap having like 2 chicken breast a day and 100g of almonds etc, but i guess it's what you think priorities are that dictates where the money gets spent

Oh yeah, i'm now 22, 85kgs, and 6ft1 (182cm) last time i checked :blush:

Many professoinal bodybuilders, powerlifters, strongmen and local gym freaks have been using large "good" fat intakes for years. To say that it is unhealthy is ridiculous. This is one of the funniest threads on here ever. Sure there are heaps of ways to put on weight, maintain weight, loose weight ,however by sticking to the percentages outlined at the start of this thread people have an idiot proof way of achieving thier goal in a safe manor. The higher intake of oils is also beneficial in stopping inflamation of the joints which many of you that subscribe to reading these threads are yet to experience, and may never due to the lack of poundages.. The medical evidence that backs high fat diets is in black and white. FACT.

^^ B)

"i don't need food i chew up enough iron as it is"

Hey guys!!

Just spent the last few hours sifting through the pinned articles, very interesting read!! Albeit some do have a few anger issues!! :lol:

Anyway just had a couple of intro questions...!! I'm sure more will come with time!!

What's the dealio with alcohol, is the odd night out drinking (say once a month, cause that's about it) gonna put everything out?? and to be serious do I need to cut out alcohol all together. I always feel guilty after a drinking night... not cause of my ridiculous antics the night before but because I feel like I've wrecked a weeks worth of work at the gym.... :blush:

Second question is I understand protein powder... it's mainly protein... But whats the go with Creatine??? What is it, should I be taking it and does it help promote muscle growth??? Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't find it in my travels though the threads...

Thanks for your help guys!! Hope to be speaking to you more in the future!!

Cheers,

Chris :D

As far as the alcohol goes, it does have a detrimental affect to both your ability to train and your bodys abity to gain muscle, and because of this it is generally frowned upon by the majority on the forum. I've actually eliminated alcohol from my diet for the past eleven weeks, and will continue to do so for the next three to four. I think if you set yourself some goals, and what you want to achieve allows you to drink occasionally then there is no point in restriciting yourself. What you will find though, as you become more and more clinical with your diet is that you automatically process what calories you are consuming when you are drinking, which makes your night crap....

On the creatine side of things, there are a few threads here, and some articles on t nation/ It obviously has some advantages, but you have to make sure your diet is correct before you starting looking for the magic pill.

Thanks for the reply mate!!

I haven't totally got my head around the whole calorie counting thing yet-diet intake of pro/fats/carbs but I'm slowly getting there, so I'm definitely not at the point of counting what I'm drinking at the night. :(

But I do agree with you that I think my goals will require me to cut it out totally at least for a period of time like you are doing!! So thanks for pointing that out, basically I need to sort out my goals and figure out what I need to do to achieve them, if that means no alcohol then so be it!!

Thanks for the reply Timmo!! As for creatine I'll have to do a bit more research me thinks!! I have actually bought some the other day but from initial reading if you're not eating the right foods then you may aswell not even bother taking it.... So I must sort my diet out!!!

Cheers,

Chris!! :D

Question: During summer i do a lot of surfing, and am out in the water for 3-4 + hours some days, because i wouldnt eat for so long should i eat more beforehand before i go out (obviously waiting some time before i went in the water) or should i eat less but eat more high energycarbs so i can stay in water without having to come in. ??? or should i just not worry about it to much

I wouldnt stress, maybe eat cottage cheese for a protein source before you go out with some pineapple....yum

looking at this, I am only consuming close to 2600 calories, not including tea as the missus likes to cook different meals each night.................

of that:

Protein = 980.2

Carbs = 1428.3

Fat = 190.6

WAT THA? Thats far too much carbs and not enough fat........ according to this thread!

this is what I ate today:

2/3 Cup Oatmeal, 1 cup Skim Milk (250 ml)

Banana, 100g Tuna, Nuts, 1 egg

Chicken(250 g), 1 cup broccoli, 1 boiled spud (80g)

1 yoghurt (100g), 100g tuna 1 scoop Protein Shake with 300ml skim milk

Beef Casserole

1 scoop Protein Shake with 300ml skim milk, 2 9 grain vita weats with cottage cheese

Edited by Royda

Your diet is shit

Your diet is shit

hence, the no gains...... no nothing....... I should stop listening to my gf and start listening to Markos. LOL! Although that would probably send me broke with food... LOL!

My brain is so confused.. u have to eat a certain ammount if u want to loose fat...

And a certain ammount to gain weight...

And if by eating in the middle it is maintenance..

So how the hell do u loose weight and gain muscle at the same time it sohuld tehcnically be almost impossible then?

can someone explain it to me?

if you read the articles threads it will explain it.

its pretty simple.

losing fat and gaining muscle is not impossible its quite a reality

Your diet is shit

hence, the no gains...... no nothing....... I should stop listening to my gf and start listening to Markos. LOL! Although that would probably send me broke with food... LOL!

I actually thought what I was eating was pretty good until I read this thread and others........... Now I don't know what to believe anymore! Is it worth it? I think I am becoming obsesed with all this shit to the point that it is stressing out my girlfriend......

But I need answers! Markos, can I eat enough food without breaking the bank account? If I get you to design my a suitable plan?

Edited by Royda

Well, I have 50 clients in the gym and 50 on here eating my diets, alot are Uni students. Where did you get the impression that un processed food was expensive. A dozen eggs cost me $3, tuna costs $4 for a 420gm can. I get rump steak for $7 a kilo at the Vic market. Vegies and fruit are so cheap I wouldnt bother quoting the prices. Same goes for oats.

hey markos the $7/kg rump you speak of, does it have much fat? cos when i buy rump it's pretty much more fat then meat and costs more than $7 lol :(

Well, I have 50 clients in the gym and 50 on here eating my diets, alot are Uni students. Where did you get the impression that un processed food was expensive. A dozen eggs cost me $3, tuna costs $4 for a 420gm can. I get rump steak for $7 a kilo at the Vic market. Vegies and fruit are so cheap I wouldnt bother quoting the prices. Same goes for oats.

eating 7 cans of tuna a week, 48 eggs (I mean egg whites), 1 kg of rump every 2 days....... kinda adds up don't it? plus there's the chicken and I didn't realise how much carbs fruit contained..... think an apple has almost more than a potato............

don't have fruits later in the day then, have them morning or during the day. 2 bananas an hour before you train will give you a good 40g or so of carbs to give you energy to burn!

don't have fruits later in the day then, have them morning or during the day. 2 bananas an hour before you train will give you a good 40g or so of carbs to give you energy to burn!

yeah but I already eat like well over 150g of carbs a day..... I guess I need more fat in there somewhere. steak, avocado, maybe some more fish...... and I will cut out spuds altogether... maybe substitute that with carrot... and the yoghurt is off the menu too.......

I will get this right one of these days!

i got an answer to make you shopping cheaper ...

DO NOT SHOP AT WOOLWORTHS OR COLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop at markets and wholesale places, hell of a lot cheaper, especially for meat.

I buy my fruit and veg from a place in Moonee Ponds... I normally get my meat there too but they dont seem to have much. I will start going to Vic Market for that.

I only buy my oatmeal, milk and tuna really at the supermarket. I get eggs for free (when I see my gf's aunt) or I just buy like 1 dozen every 2-3 weeks.........

i eat about 8 eggs a day. stop your whining roy! do you realise kosher meat costs double what non-kosher meat costs??? veal mince is about $10/kilo... steak is anywhere between $14 and $30/kilo! ($20/kilo being the average).

i eat about 8 eggs a day. stop your whining roy! do you realise kosher meat costs double what non-kosher meat costs??? veal mince is about $10/kilo... steak is anywhere between $14 and $30/kilo! ($20/kilo being the average).

I ain't whining........ I was just talking! sheesh!

I have now realised that I am wasting money on food that I dont need to eat and reading some more from other threads, I think what I have come up with to eat is a lot better than before.

Try swallowing 30 protein pills with milk and you'll soon change to powder.

You need to really increase each of your meals. 2 eggs should accompany something substantial like oats or add some bacon. A slice of turkey would weigh stuff all and 1 sandwich is nothing. A large chicken breast is going to give you a lot more protein.

Here's an example of one of my better days from my journal.

Breakfast 6:45: Oats with 150g milk; 30g protein with 500ml milk, 5 fish oil tabs

Snack 10:15: 125g chicken, avocado, cucumber

Lunch 1:30: 100g tuna, wholemeal roll, cheese; 30g protein with 500ml milk

Snack 3:45: 100g cashews, peanuts, almonds

Snack 5:30: 100g chicken, avocado, cucumber; apple

6:15-7:15 GYM

7:30 30g protein with 500ml milk, 5 fish oil tabs

Dinner 8:00: chicken stirfry with veg

Snack 9:30: 150g yoghurt

Snack 10:30 125g cottage cheese

here is all the help you will ever need with eating.Simply eat like this.Problem solved.Next.

so Markos...... this is everything I will ever need... I ain't far off then........ maybe add in the fish oil tabs, change to avo and cucumber with my chicken......

hmmmm...... ain't that hard now. It's all starting to click FINALLY!

buy some chickens it will save you cash on the eggs lol

i buy eggs in 10 dozen lots for $20, $2 per dozen

decent steak is around $12 per kg from a butcher or the markets

you could eat a kg of steak and a dozen eggs a day for the price of a takeaway lunch.

then add vegies.....

yeah mike ive got a protein shot waiting for you right here lol