Sign in to follow this  
Iron Chef

So you want to bring in a personal import...

If you're under 35 (haw haw) just get a working holiday visa, that gives you up to 18 months.

A quick update on my situation - I have almost finished my Facts, Issues and Contentions statement and it's looking gorgeous. The hearing is going to be scheduled for February or March next year.

Just so you all know, I'm going to see this through to the end win or lose. If I don't fight, then I've basically lost and if I fight and lose - at least I've fought these bastards.

Now, should I win - and it's looking very good so far - then I'd love to see them try and keep these rules in place. The aim is to bring the whole freaking thing down - and my case should shake the tree nicely.

Have a look at this email excerpt sent between the Administrator of DOTARS and one of his cronies... ( word for word from the email transaction )

"...alerting people to the changes and giving a significant lead time would have led to large numbers of people importing in advance of the new regulations."

They admit they knew the changes were coming and they chose to say nothing to anyone about them. That deliberate action to say nothing has screwed everyone in similar situations and that arrogance is going to be their ruin.

Thanks Chef.

Shibbeh, good luck mate.

Hi guys, in case anyone is interested I got my approval no problems.

BTW, in case anyone else is in my original situation - ie don't fulfil DOTAR's definition of what constitutes returning indefinitely because of circumstances they haven't thought of - with a lease in QLD, after you've filled it out and sent it off to DOTARs, you don't actually have to lodge it with anyone - it's an agreement between a landlord and a tenant and each keeps a copy. Ss if you're mate has a house, you could theoretically get him to sign a lease without putting a bond down, send it off to DOTARs, then rip it up and throw it in the bin... keeps them happy and you can keep living at your Mum's place!

So my car has arrived and it's bloody great driving it on the roads here... it's a black Subaru Legacy GT-B.

I may have to sell it though as all up it was a bit more expensive than I thought, especially aftere losing a bit on the exchange rate...

I just imported the exact car :)

I believe that a lease agreement is only one component of proof, didnt you have to provide additional info?

A quick update on my situation - I have almost finished my Facts, Issues and Contentions statement and it's looking gorgeous. The hearing is going to be scheduled for February or March next year.

Just so you all know, I'm going to see this through to the end win or lose. If I don't fight, then I've basically lost and if I fight and lose - at least I've fought these bastards.

Now, should I win - and it's looking very good so far - then I'd love to see them try and keep these rules in place. The aim is to bring the whole freaking thing down - and my case should shake the tree nicely.

Have a look at this email excerpt sent between the Administrator of DOTARS and one of his cronies... ( word for word from the email transaction )

"...alerting people to the changes and giving a significant lead time would have led to large numbers of people importing in advance of the new regulations."

You are a brave man Shibbeh! Im thinking of returning to Japan for one more personal import :)

Chef dunno where to ask about importing a Type X 180sx? And if, compared to local prices, is worth it?

How about NOT in the personal import thread....

Out of curiosity, cars with minor accident damage - are they allowed to be personally imported? And would it go on record in Australia as being damaged?

i got my orange personal import plate today and my car should be delivered to my house tomorrow.

i used my customs broker to do the engineers certificate. the price they quoted me was heaps cheaper than what they charged me <_>

and they cant tell me if all my inner cargo is still with the car. not overly impressed. ill be back in aus on saturday so ill deal with it then.

at least it can be regod now :thumbsup:

i got my orange personal import plate today and my car should be delivered to my house tomorrow.

i used my customs broker to do the engineers certificate. the price they quoted me was heaps cheaper than what they charged me <_>

and they cant tell me if all my inner cargo is still with the car. not overly impressed. ill be back in aus on saturday so ill deal with it then.

What did you import Adam?

When my car was delivered, all my inner cargo was taken out.

To get in back, my dad just went around to the customs brokers and took a stroll though their wharehouse, and picked out all my stuff.

The only thing that couldn't be found was a bunch of Drift Tengoku magazines.. Bastards!!!!!

What did you import Adam?

When my car was delivered, all my inner cargo was taken out.

To get in back, my dad just went around to the customs brokers and took a stroll though their wharehouse, and picked out all my stuff.

The only thing that couldn't be found was a bunch of Drift Tengoku magazines.. Bastards!!!!!

my c35. took it for a quick drive today. :yes:

getting my rwc and rego on monday.

all my inner cargo turned up but they have scratched 3 out of my 4 brand new wheels and stuck the new VIN on the guard :wtf1:

happy its finally here but not happy in other ways.

Out of curiosity, cars with minor accident damage - are they allowed to be personally imported? And would it go on record in Australia as being damaged?

Cars with minor damage and repaired can be imported through SEVS, major damaged cars cant. Personal Imports that have been majorly damaged dont face any issue with importing. There is no way to check and it is not recorded. I would demand logs books, and do a proper inspection just like any other car in Australia.

Cars with minor damage and repaired can be imported through SEVS, major damaged cars cant. Personal Imports that have been majorly damaged dont face any issue with importing. There is no way to check and it is not recorded. I would demand logs books, and do a proper inspection just like any other car in Australia.

So I guess that is potential to drop the resale value of a car that you import. Have to make sure that it's in demand, hey!

Well, the AAT meeting is next Thursday. Wish us luck!:)

And answer my emails Kristian!

Well, the AAT meeting is next Thursday. Wish us luck!:)

And answer my emails Kristian!

please let me know as soon as you know. i want to get the ruling lifted off my car.

shibbeh will update you when he gets back, but basically it has gone to the judge for a ruling as DoTaRS were being knobs about it, essentially offering the same deal they were when he first applied.

Adam87, is there something written on your import approval to say that you can't sell the car? I'm curious to know how they can police it.

shibbeh will update you when he gets back, but basically it has gone to the judge for a ruling as DoTaRS were being knobs about it, essentially offering the same deal they were when he first applied.

Adam87, is there something written on your import approval to say that you can't sell the car? I'm curious to know how they can police it.

yeh it says i cant provide the car for use in transport under another name

did you want to see a copy of that to see what theyve written?

The decision is coming tomorrow.

I'll post some info here on what happened.

WE WOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW I'M COMPLETELY OVERWHELMED.

I'll post more info later on.

Right now I need a bottle of champagne and Kristian, I couldn't have done it without your help. This is one to remember my friend.

Time to start making some phone calls adam87!!

I've already got a line of people beating a path to my door for this car! Looks like its sold already?!:wacko:

Details please. Congradulations mate. David vs goliath! Ive noticed that Dotars have added some comments about the amendment, sadly they havent changed it :(

Ah - that only related to the 5 year rule. They gave a period of 12 months for that but nothing for people who purchased before the changes.

Holy thread revival batman.

Question...

So I have recently aquired a 180, that is complied, has a roady, and im about to register.

The hitch is, I rang qld trans today and they said I need to have the car at a qld trans depot for them to just check the engine/vin number and import plate... yeah the car may be just the tiniest bit low, and have a few zip ties, so I dont want to take it to qt.

Has anybody rego'd a car that hasnt been rego'd before (import) and not had to take their car? Is qld trans feeding me bullsh*t?

wrong section

youll have to take it in tho. normally its one of the desk girls that will look at it anyway. ask in the qld section :thumbsup:

Anyone help me on info regarding rego? I've gotta personal import it's currently getting compliance and rego check and I've been told my tyres are over 5 years old and that they will fail the rego? I used to fit tyres for a living and I know the manufactures recommend replacement of 5 yrs or older didn't think it came into rego checks etc?? Thanks in advance!!

That sounds a bit weird - for personal imports, providing the tyres aren't below minimum tread depth, you'll be fine. PM me the crew doing it if you want to discuss it further.