Sign in to follow this  
gwalker

S15 - RB25DET Conversion

Hi All

In the search for more power and something a bit different I am looking into doing an RB25 conversion on my S15. Does anyone know exactly whats involved and what costs I might be looking at.

Cheers

im am open to all conversions and this one would prove to very controversial in the days to come.

i would say buy the time you add up the cost up building an RB25 into your S15 you could have just built the SR into something just as powerful.

of course if you want to do the conversion i would say you would need custom engine mounts, gearbox mounts, custom tailshaft, exhuast and wiring and then some.

price could easily top $6000 with engine and box all in there.

im am open to all conversions and this one would prove to very controversial in the days to come.

i would say buy the time you add up the cost up building an RB25 into your S15 you could have just built the SR into something just as powerful.

of course if you want to do the conversion i would say you would need custom engine mounts, gearbox mounts, custom tailshaft, exhuast and wiring and then some.

price could easily top $6000 with engine and box all in there.

Yeah I understand what you are saying. I was also thinking of the money I could recoup from selling my old engine. I will have a Black top Sr with HKs cams, RAS, Loom, PFC, 740cc injectors, Z32 AFM, T518z, manifold, brakes, intercooler piping, brand new clutch and gearbox, new 1 piece tailshaft etc. Based on my estimations of what I can get back for all that I think I might just be able to get the conversion done with stock turb etc.

I have thought about doing a built SR but it would seriously get into 8k pretty quickly with the majority of that expense being made up by maching and labour. Even with the engine built getting it to 350RWKW on pump fuel is going to be hard.

wow if thats your engine then i would say that the cost may just balance out.

are you happy to put the RB25 in standard or do you have a power figure in mind?

are you happy to put the RB25 in standard or do you have a power figure in mind?

Oh yeah definatly want to make 350RWKW but I guess the first hurdle is just to get the engine in. Not that I know f*ck all about RB's but I would assume that something like a 3540, injectors, microtech, pump etc would get it at around that mark ?? is that possbile on stock bottom end ??

pretty sure you cant use an engine older than your chassis, so that would mean a NEO engine at least,

Not true in qld.

The 34 has a rb25det, thats all that is needed.

Its like the old gtir motor into an n15 pulsar, the variant is not the concern.

on a stock bottom end???

no way. it will need at the least:

pistons

rods

crank (either stock or GTR but will need balancing)

twin plate clutch

a pair of 040 bosch pumps (or any combination that can do 600HP or more)

cam gears

metal head gasket

camshafts

turbo and manifold (3540 is a good choice, for the power you want nothing much bigger or smaller)

good intercooler

oil cooler

aluminium radiator

from there you can add with fuel pressure regulator and choice of engine management. so long as it is tuned right the engine can survive quite a while if not thrashed to death each time you drive it.

the gearbox is marginal at this power and will only last as long as you want it to. a twin plate clutch is the least you need here.

i would reccomend the Hi-Octane RB25 kit. around the $5500 mark you get the rods, pistons and piston rings, camshafts, cam gears, head gasket and engine gaskets.

great buy i think, and all you need to do is get the engine machined and you have it all put together at the one time.

on a stock bottom end???

no way. it will need at the least:

pistons

rods

crank (either stock or GTR but will need balancing)

twin plate clutch

a pair of 040 bosch pumps (or any combination that can do 600HP or more)

cam gears

metal head gasket

camshafts

turbo and manifold (3540 is a good choice, for the power you want nothing much bigger or smaller)

good intercooler

oil cooler

aluminium radiator

from there you can add with fuel pressure regulator and choice of engine management. so long as it is tuned right the engine can survive quite a while if not thrashed to death each time you drive it.

the gearbox is marginal at this power and will only last as long as you want it to. a twin plate clutch is the least you need here.

i would reccomend the Hi-Octane RB25 kit. around the $5500 mark you get the rods, pistons and piston rings, camshafts, cam gears, head gasket and engine gaskets.

great buy i think, and all you need to do is get the engine machined and you have it all put together at the one time.

^^^^

Bugger that kinda sucks. If I am going to do that I may as well just build the SR for 300KW+. What kinda power can reliably be put through these engines with all mentioned above without the build ??

theres a neo rb25det engine for sale on silviansw.com of you intrested.

cya

rb26 would be much nicer..

wonder how hard a 2jz would be to drop in...

just fully build your SR, add some NOS! and you should hopefully reach 350kw!!!

if not..... sell it and get a R34 GTT

Cheers

i would put a 1jz in, far better engine and will handle 300rwkw all day internally std.

theres a neo rb25det engine for sale on silviansw.com of you intrested.

cya

Thanks the engine looks very tidy.

i would put a 1jz in, far better engine and will handle 300rwkw all day internally std.

U have PM. Need more a few more details. Really want at least 300RWKW with whatever I go for.

cheaper to buy than an rb25det i imagine too.

Oh yeah definatly want to make 350RWKW but I guess the first hurdle is just to get the engine in. Not that I know f*ck all about RB's but I would assume that something like a 3540, injectors, microtech, pump etc would get it at around that mark ?? is that possbile on stock bottom end ??

your really pushing it, i do know u can only run up to 22psi on stock rb25s and havent seen anymore than 320rwkw on stock internals

cheaper to buy than an rb25det i imagine too.

the standard rb25 can handle 300rwkw easy and there its not uncommon to see stock rb25s with thsi power, i was running 20psi everyday with td06 setup without a problem. I have stock internals but have a gasket for lower compression:)

The supra 3lt can handle over 350rwkw and more reliably too, it will also cost twice as much....might as well just put on an rb26 then

1J couldnt be engineered though surely?

As for a tuff SR, speak to Kemp (STR8E180) or 180_wannabe (SR with T67).