Sign in to follow this  
tai_180sx

Painting your car in 2pak paint

Well, my plan is to do this.

So far I'm sanding my car down Haha good luck to me it's a pain.

I'll have a few practice runs before I start on the car but I'll sand it down for now.

I'll post up some pics later for everyone :)

Hey man I just found your topic and im halfway thru painting my car but i have a question when doing the clear coat its really ruf with little pin holes everywhere what do i have to do to fix it im guna try get some fine sandpaper an sand it back slightly then do another coat but not sure if this will fix it any info would be great

hey mate,

my best guess is that you have not mixed the paint correctly. you also need to spray the clear coat on pretty thick.

if you have stuffed something up while painting the clear, then rub down the whole car in a 800 grade sandpaper and re-paint the clear coat.

when you are rubbing it back though, make sure you don't rub through the clear coat and back to the paint, otherwise you will stuff up the paint and you will then have to re-spray all the paint on that panel too (and blend it into the rest of the car).

if you don't have a really thick clear coat, then i would suggest painting another few nice thick coats, seeing how it turns out then. if you are still unhappy with it, then you will be able to rub it back as you will have enough clear coats on the car that you won't rub through them.

my best suggestion is to do a few test paints on the bonnet or something first, if you haven't mixed the paint right, then you will soon find out.

Can i get some information on actually spraying the car?

I have sanded the car perfectly bogged up bits and pieces etc.

Now i have my spray gun and compressor and my "Spray Booth" Haha now I'd just like to get some tips on how to use a spray gun properly? I'll practice a bit but I'll get your opinion thank you.

It's pretty hard to tell someone how to paint without showin in person. Set the gun to about 25psi and wind the needle most of the way in. Set the fan to full spray and adjust it alittle down. Try on a old panel and it should go on pretty smooth, if it goes on lumpy wind out the fluid alittle and try again. When sprayin you want to do a over lap by half on each coat.

to help stop the orange peel, is in the clear coat at the end add less hardener that way it has more time to settle and spread out over the car to give it a nicer finish

i would never put less hardner thats just silly, try a slower hardener or slower thinner. Maybe instead or 10% thinners try 15 to 20% and give it alittle more air pressure.

your not allowed to use 2pac paint outside of a booth environment!!

are you guys using the correct masks and protective clothing?

isosionates in the 2pac are very harmful!!!

make sure the neighbours are not home,2 pac over spray doesnt wash off!!

hey im all for saving a heap of coin on some diy jobs but ive seen plenty of back yard resprays and i suppose it depends on what you really want out of it.

you will always get a better finish,longer lasting quality and probably a warranty if you use a crash shop or even just a paintshop

my 2c

cheers

im not really up for the whole getting cancer thing,

what if i preped the car (as in rubbed it back correctly)

fit kit / guards myself, then take it into a spray place to get painted, as im guessing most of the labour cost comes from actually

the time taken to 'prep' the car ??

or is this still illegal ?

car is white over gold s13 (89') sil

cheers..

The problem with doing it that way is that i have never met a spray painter that will just paint a car that you have prepped. the reason for this is the quality of the paint comes down to the quality of the prep work... so most spray painters will only paint a car that they have prepped themselves or know the person who has prepped it and can be sure that its done correctly.... otherwise they'll end up with a crap paint job and you'll go back to them complaining.

this is true.

but

all the painters ive ever worked with will go over the car with you, show you whats a lil average and give you the option,repairing it for more money or just painting over it.(in a situation like this)

this is still the cheapest way of doing this job but you probably wont be entering auto salon,when you prep it at home with not much idea!!)

every ones opinion of a good job is different,some people think shiney paint is all that matters.

it depends on the application of the car as how much work and money you will need to spend to get the result you want(or really need)

get estimates and products being used,

you wont get a warranty on whats beneath the base coat if you prep it yourself!

hope this helps more

cheeers

what are the disadvantages of using singlepack primer-putty? The guy at the paint tore said it can be done safely the only real issue is that when the 2 pack hardens it shrinks and can show up your prep work. ie where you have bogged etc.

can it cause any other problems. like the paint not sticking properly? Or the paint chipping easily?

regards luke

heres mine i did. i ve got a few jobs to do for some other people in the next few weeks but pm me if your serious about a respray

106_0799.jpg

107_0023a.jpg

looks cool.

ive fitted many cossie vents ,should have fitted them from underneath,rivet,eurothane/f/glass etc.

they look super cool with no edges,but need to modify the front vent so it doesnt hold water

cheers

nice job man, i learnt heaps from ur article :)

hey guy's I've got a 40L, 6-8 Bar opperating pressure, 125L/M, 2.5hp air compressor. Would this do the job? And where can I get a proper mask from?

Cheers

This guide is the funniest thing i have ever read.

Now everybody with zero spraypainting experiance can do full COB resprays on their cars!

With nothing more than gun and a compressor from super cheap. and a few paragraphs explanation!

I hope heaps of people made absolute messes of thier fully sick cars,

And copped the $50,000 fine for spraying 2K outside of a workcover approved spray booth!

Cheers guys.

Now everybody with zero spraypainting experiance can do full COB resprays on their cars!

With nothing more than gun and a compressor from super cheap. and a few paragraphs explanation!

And copped the $50,000 fine for spraying 2K outside of a workcover approved spray booth!

Cheers guys.

LOL what a noob. This is a great article, and ill amongst other will be using it to paint there car. Maybe you cant afford to buy the gear your self so you push a few alphabetical keys from the library to flame this thread. Go away.

Cheers guys.

shutup :wedgie:

Great thread... what compressor was used??? and what type of gun? top load gun (gravity fed) or standard?

Cheers guys

i am getting the shits with my car i cant stop getting orange peel i hve tried it with both 10% thinners and no thinners still geting it i spray the car in primer the primer works fine i sand it back with 800 to get it smooth shuld i try sanding it back with 1200 after the 800 to maybe it it smoother comes out fine in some spots and really orange peely in others

I was doing the same thing until I got the following information:

If the EPA catch you doing a back yard job without the proer booths/fitlers etc they will have you arrested and the fines start around the $10,000 mark. All it takes is for a neighbour or passer by to report you and you'll end up wishing you saved money by getting a bare metal pro harlequin job. Arcrilic is ok but you don't really want to mess around with that, 2 pac is much easier to paint.

really.

wow. pretty lots of money.

nice job.

Sign in to follow this