Sign in to follow this  
tai_180sx

Fitting Aftermarket Seats in 180sx

Ok, to start this off i'm just goin to say if you can't weld and use an angle grinder you should not attempt this. it is not exactly easy. if you even want to put your standard seats back in don't think about it either as the brackets will be removed.

this is the only way i could work out how to fit aftermarket seats in a 180sx or silvia and still have the seats sit at the stadard height. obviously if you mount the seats in the standard position then the seats will most likely hit the roof or your head will.

if you have a look at the standard seats one side of the seat is mounted a good inch higher that the other side. now this is a problem because if you put some blocks under the lower side to bring it all up to level the seat will sit too high and probably touch the roof. if you cut down the higher side to make the seats level and mount them all on the standard brace that goes across in front of the seat then teh seat will still sit too high and your head will sit close to the roof.

so what you have to do is.......

pull both seats out...

you will see there is a brace at the front of the seat that goes from one side of the car all the way to the gearbox tunnel and this is where the front of the seats are mounted. this has to be completely cut off. the reason for this is because it is basically too high to mount the seats on, even if you hard mount the seats to it.

once you have cut the complete brace off you will have to replace it with a much smaller brace. i used RHS pipe that was square and measured 1cm x 2cm's. when cut to size it slips right back in place where the old brace was and is much smaller and stronger. it will have to be welded in. run a weld along the floor and up the sides of each end.

for the passenger side you do the exact same thing for the front but because the floor has a hump in it for the cat you have to take a hammer to it and knock it down a little bit. just enough to have it sit at the same height as the RHS bar so the seat doesn't rub on it.

for the back of the seat you have to get 2 length of Flat bar which is a solid flat bar that is about 1/2cm thick and 2cm's wide.

cut this to length to run parallel to the front RHS bar.

the flat rail will have to sit on the lip at the door and you will have to hammer it down into the gearbox tunnel so it will sit in place.

once its in place weld it in at each end.

if you prefer you can make custom brackets which will take a lot more time and use the standard bolt threads to bolt the rails to the floor.

now to fit the seats i mounted the rails that came with the seats to the bottom of the seats and then sit the seats in place on top of the new brackets you have welded in.

sit in the seats while they're in the car and move them to where you think they are sitting straight. put your hands up on the steering wheel and get a feel for if you are looking straight ahead.

try and get out of the car without moving the seats and then spot weld the brackets or clamp them in place so the rails dont move. i spot welded mine as it was easier and as long as you sit somethign between the seats and where your welding you wont burn the seats.

once they rails are spot welded you can then remove the seats off the rails and pull the seats out.

you will be left with the new support bars that you installed and the seats rails spot welded to them..

now that the seats aren't in the car you can quite easily either drill holes in the rails and tap threads and bolt the rails to the supports or you can just weld them in permanently. i welded mine.

once its all welded and cooled off you can install the seats back on the rails. because of how low you have to mount the seats to retain the same seating position it will be very hard to do the bolts back up into the seats, but with skinny hands you can do it.

thats a pretty quick run down on how i installed my seats. here are a few pics i have taken with my seats in the car.

you will see in the pics i have added the support rails that i have used that sit under the carpet. and also you can see where the old support rail used to sit and has been cut out.

i have also added pics of the finished product.

post-2246-1133685606_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1133685667_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1133685752_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1133685783_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1138359033_thumb.jpg

post-1-1164593926.jpg

I'd just like to point out that some nice cheap R32 seats make a great upgrade for the S13, and very easy to fit, one slight modification to rear right rail on drivers side and opposite on passanger.

GTR seats are the best bet. if i was ever going to do it again id just fork out the money and go for GTR seats.

I found a much easier method. I have exactly the same seats, and what I did was:

1. rip out the original seats
  2. unbolt the rails form the original seats
  3. discard old seats
  4. grind the mounting angle plates off the rails
  5. bolt the rails onto the new seats
  6. place seats on some wood temporarily marking out the alignment for the rails
  7. mark out where the mounting angle plates fit best (be very careful to get this correct, double & triple check alignment)
  8. take them back of the seats
  9. weld them onto the rails (or pay someone $40 at a mechanics shop to weld em after u position em)
  10. reattach and hey-presto, sliding rails

I found by doing this not only was I not attaching new peices of metal but i still had the original sliding motion of the chair, and it had full clearance and fit nice and snug.

I hope this helps other people.

Edited by configurecart

Ive been trying this today...ended up with my seats WAAAAY too high - so im gonna go back to it tomorrow, these instructions should be awesome.

Thanks

Just wondering, they look like the recaro style bucket seats from just jap?

I only received two of those rails, and no bars - and i believe i am meant to get 4 rails??

I found a much easier method. I have exactly the same seats, and what I did was:
  1. rip out the original seats
  2. unbolt the rails form the original seats
  3. discard old seats
  4. grind the mounting angle plates off the rails
  5. bolt the rails onto the new seats
  6. place seats on some wood temporarily marking out the alignment for the rails
  7. mark out where the mounting angle plates fit best (be very careful to get this correct, double & triple check alignment)
  8. take them back of the seats
  9. weld them onto the rails (or pay someone $40 at a mechanics shop to weld em after u position em)
  10. reattach and hey-presto, sliding rails

I found by doing this not only was I not attaching new peices of metal but i still had the original sliding motion of the chair, and it had full clearance and fit nice and snug.

I hope this helps other people.

the problem with this is that the seats sit too high. they fit alright, but if you don't like riding in what feels like a truck then your way wont work.

yes they were seats from just jap and i got all the rails i needed.

doin it this way will it be able to pass to get them blue platted

i have no idea what blue platted is, but i got my car fully engineered doing it this way.

the problem with this is that the seats sit too high. they fit alright, but if you don't like riding in what feels like a truck then your way wont work.

yes they were seats from just jap and i got all the rails i needed.

they weren't to high for me, but i am only 170cm. O_o

blue plated = mod plated. its probly a different colour in other states just to mess with us.

oh dear, looks like fun. Sure enough, i will be doing this soon so this guide will come in handy. I'm over 6 foot tall so ive got to try and make the new seats as low as possible.

Check out http://www.importautoparts.com.au/ if you're looking for a direct fitting option for aftermarket seats.

I bought my rails from here for $199ea + postage for my SAAS Kombat seat and they fitted straight in to my 180.

Just let them know the front/back and side/side measurement of the seat base and they'll sort it out for you.

Mine seats slightly higher than standard but has heaps more padding so if you are careful with seat choice

you should be able to get a lower than standard seat height.

I'm 6'1" so the SAAS seat is a little high for me but the IAP rails are spot on.

Hope this helps someone out before they fork out the $$$.

Image099.jpg

Edited by stylz_180

wtf you cut and weld into your car!!! OMG just buy some low mount bride rails and they bolt in.

Thanks for wasting your first post on me, i've heard the Bride rails are good too,

but this was an easier option for me because they were drilled specifically for my seat

so I didn't have to search around for Bride rails or re-drill them to suit.

And in response to your first suggestion- I didn't want to buy a welder and spent the hours I don't have

on making non-ADR approved backyard seat rails.

I was just presenting another option for people out there and trying to help, but thanks for knowing

everything about my situation and flaming me with your first post... :rolleyes:

Edited by stylz_180

when i upgrade to s15 seats i used the retractable lever from my old 180sx for both sides and the other side rails from the s15 seat rails, worked a treat !

Sign in to follow this