- - - - -

Dayz - Zombie Wasteland Survival - Arma 2 Mod 

290 replies to this topic

#1 Damit

• Car:R33 & RB25 180SX

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I have been playing the new zombie wasteland survival mod for Arma II called DayZ.

The Mod is currently in Alpha and somewhat buggy at times, but is generally a blast and as addictive like crack!

Dayz main page - http://dayzmod.com/index.php
Dayz Forums - http://dayzmod.com/downloads.php
Dayz download page - http://dayzmod.com/forum/

Some background on the mod

Welcome to Chernarus. A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

This is Day Z - This is your story.

DayZ was created by Dean "Rocket" Hall

DayZ - What Will You Become?

Realistic "Zombies" with custom animations - These once human creatures will act and behave as if they have a heighten sense of hearing and smell but less sight, on top of that they use motion captured animations such as walking and eating from your unconscious body. If you look into any built up area you'll see them walking around waiting for their next victim which dares to venture in.

New weapons and vehicles! - Ever felt like you needed a Crossbow? Or maybe a less military like weapon? If you have then this is perfect for you as we have both of these created to high quality standards all ready for your use in this wasteland. On top of that you can even pick up the bolts fired from the Crossbow to reuse! Not only that we also have created custom vehicles which can be repaired and ridden around to show the world what you're made of!

Custom Medical System - ArmA II's magic medic feature is a thing of the past with this medical system - If you get shot, expect to bleed and to lose blood until you're bandaged up. Lost too much blood? Then expect to fall over unconscious. If you get shot in the leg then you won't be able to walk until you get morphine so you can man up. Pain is also a factor taken into consideration so without pain killers after taking an injury you'll continue to shake. This is medical at it's best!

Persistent Server - Fed up of spending so many hours working towards a goal or finding supplies and then the server crashes on you losing all your progress? Well with the DayZ server all stat's are saved to our external database so where ever you log off, whatever you have will be keep on you next time you come back in. This means you can spend however long you want doing what you want to do. As long as you don't die during the night!

Tons of new objects - We haven't just added in big things like weapons, we take pride in little details so expect to find things such as water canteens, a number of canned foods, junk and car parts (Along with more!) each of which have their own models, textures and UI imagery, once again all created to that high quality you expect in a full scale modification and we're sure you won't be disappointed with it. Nothing has been rushed.

Hunting and Survival - Eating and drinking is a core part of gameplay, you can tell if you need something by a very subtle GUI which doesn't effect the atmosphere, and if you don't fulfil those needs. You'll die. Wandering animals can killed and gutted (with the right tools) to gain access to their meat which can be eaten so you live longer but also to gain blood. For once these animals actually have a use.

Heavy Optimisation - The DayZ server has been designed to give the best play possible. Custom coding and edits have created a smooth running world which can easily have thousands of zombies spawned at once!

And Much More! - The only way to find out - is to survive!

Requirements:

ArmA II: CO (Arma II and OA launched together - launcher suggested)
DayZ Mod Files (Available on the downloads page)
Balls

Dayz vids

Hilarious video of an army of american players and their first experiences in the game, anyone who's played a bit of the mod will love this!

Edited by Damit, 30 April 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#2 Bludbud

Bad command or file name. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay.

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Car:180sx

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Just gave this a go, seems good so far. I'm a bit clueless on what to do though. I walked into some town, then got raped by 17 zombies :wtf1:

#3 Damit

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

it does take a bit to get used to
tip zombies don't run inside of buildings ;) - they also stop to hit you so if you don't stop running they won't get you unless you run into a zombie
avoid the 2 main cities (cherno and electro) as thats where most people hang around and kill each other

I on a new spawn head to one of the 2 cities to get basic gear - alice pack, compass and a map and leave, head north to stary sobor (survivor camp with good weapons gear and ammo) then onto NW airfield to see if i can get even better gear

raiding NW is probably the hardest thing you can do as all the good gear is there and people will camp to kill you there and i normal do a quick run through barracks only if I'm on my own but normally do with 2-3 clan mates at night with Night Vision and sniper cover

Item table of all items and the chance of spawning
http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html

Currently this life
Character owned by Damit.
Character is alive.
Character has killed 252 zombies (165 headshots).
Character has murdered 8 other characters.
Character has walked 135.9km.
Character has lived 13h 54m.

and my gear is
M4A1 CCO SD (silenced M4) - zombies dont react to it
G17 - has a flashlight :D
in my pack an M24 for Sniper cover
still trying to get Night Vision, Range Finder, and a GPS but with new values for items spawning rather than those items being about 2% chance now they are 0.11% so probably a low chance i will get them

#4 Bludbud

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

thanks for the tips :). So Zombies can't run in buildings, but they can climb ladders up a lighthouse <_< where are these cities? I don't have a map so i have no idea which direction to go when i spawn. Also what server do you play on?

#5 Damit

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

I play on any server mainly AU ones as character persist across all servers - and with all the updates and issues with vehicles and tents i don't use them so no need for me to be tied to a specific server

also with map and knowing where you are use this http://ttp2.dslyecxi...arus_big_hq.jpg
and look in in the bottom right hand corner when you spawn as it tells you where you are

#6 180fan

• Car:Nissan Stagea RS-Four

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Why did I start playing this when i have assignments due :lol:
Seems pretty cool, played for around 30 minutes and already scored a winchester and killed a few zombies. Still need to find a map though

#7 Edd-GTR

• Car:1989 BNR32 GTR

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Played a bit with a mate the other night. Lack of ammo is annoying!

#8 Damit

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

lack of ammo is part of the game as it is survival not shoot every zombie you see

with the guys im playing with we now have multiple jeeps, cars , a bus (no point having it as it cant drive through towns at all as its to big to drive around roadblocks and off road you are lucky to get up to 5 kmh and 2 heli's

some of our cars
Posted Image

and our first chopper when we got it running
Posted Image

#9 koguchi

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

this sounds amazing!!!
so to play this I need to buy what exactly? (ARMA II: Combined Operations) that?? then download the mod?

Edited by koguchi, 16 May 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#10 TheApothecary

• Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

I don't have Operation Arrowhead expansion or I'd be all over this. :(

#11 koguchi

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostTheApothecary, on 16 May 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

I don't have Operation Arrowhead expansion or I'd be all over this. Posted Image

the website says you only need CO

Requirements:
  • ArmA II: CO
  • DayZ Mod Files (Available on the downloads page)
  • Balls
not sure why OP mentioned OA??

im looking at buying it this way - http://store.steampo...d.com/sub/4639/
and that appears to include OA?? maybe thats why he mentioned it? :S im lost.

Edited by koguchi, 16 May 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#12 TheApothecary

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Arma II: CO = Combined Operations = Arma II + Operation Arrowhead.

I bought Arma II on steam ages back just to try it out and didn't feel the need to get OA at the time.

correct me if I'm wrong.

#13 Bludbud

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostTheApothecary, on 16 May 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Arma II: CO = Combined Operations = Arma II + Operation Arrowhead.

I bought Arma II on steam ages back just to try it out and didn't feel the need to get OA at the time.

correct me if I'm wrong.

yea that's right. i had arma II then bought OA after to make CO, then i downloaded the mod

#14 koguchi

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

downloading now...hope its good..only thing dodgy i noticed in the vids was the crappy character animations for the zombies.

#15 Silvieson

• Car:Aero S13

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Whats involved in getting vehicles repaired? Do you need to find parts and fuel like it was suppose to be in the original stalker?

Gonna give this a go I reckon! Kinda over playing fallen earth

#16 Damit

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostSilvieson, on 18 May 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Whats involved in getting vehicles repaired? Do you need to find parts and fuel like it was suppose to be in the original stalker?

Gonna give this a go I reckon! Kinda over playing fallen earth
yeah you need to find the vehicle and then parts for it - engine, fuel tank, wheels, fuel and then put it together

oh and im now almost fully geared - just need to get a range finder
Posted Image

#17 180fan

• Car:Nissan Stagea RS-Four

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hope i dont come up against you at nighttime, i'm happy just having my AKM and 3 mags :lol:

#18 koguchi

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

the wireless aspect of my router let go the other night just after I purchased the game, so I was stuck with 24kbps internet for the last 2 days... but I went and bought an extra long phone line tonight so now I can actually download it..
seriously cant wait to play.

#19 koguchi

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

i dont see any aussie servers.. I join the low ping NZ servers and get kicked for my own ping...not looking good for me so far..

#20 Damit

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

View Postkoguchi, on 19 May 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

i dont see any aussie servers.. I join the low ping NZ servers and get kicked for my own ping...not looking good for me so far..
really there is like 9 of them

and the guys im rolling with
Posted Image

#21 koguchi

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

what are the names of the servers?
I see two NZ ARMA servers but no aussie servers??

#22 Damit

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

they have AU, AUS, AU/NZ in there name

here is the IP and port for AU2 which is the one I play on - 119.252.190.33:2402

#23 koguchi

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

oh yeh I think thats the one I meant with NZ...AUSARMA..think thats the one that keeps booting me for crap ping..which i dont quite know how mine is bad with ADSL 2+ connection :(

#24 Damit

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

View Postkoguchi, on 19 May 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

oh yeh I think thats the one I meant with NZ...AUSARMA..think thats the one that keeps booting me for crap ping..which i dont quite know how mine is bad with ADSL 2+ connection Posted Image
ping kick is at 180ms if your ping is over that i think you have net issues

#25 koguchi

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

well i finally got to play a little bit...after getting no where and dieing heaps i finally got some weapons and made it inland...i was bleeding from the head and a guy went to *bandage me* and shot me in the head.. :(

trying to get back to those aus servers...always full though.

*edit* got to play some amazing games...10x more fun if you travel in a group
*edit again* cheers damit, this game is fkn boss..got a friend getting it, perfect game for super quiet tactical shit.

Edited by koguchi, 20 May 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#26 Silvieson

• Car:Aero S13

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

to play this stupid mod its gonna make me get rid of 20 gig worth of other mods.. seriously... wtf.. design the freaking game to just not use or disable other files its not using..

#27 koguchi

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

might be worth it :D
A friend and I survived about 10 hours today, both got stacks of harder to get gear, found a chopper etc, could have fixed a car if we picked up all the parts we found.
went from balota through to cherno then into electra and then hiked through pusta, onto staroye then finally after hours go past guglovo and we just made it into stary sobor.
had some seriously scary moments and almost died a few times...being able to kill and cook cow meat saved our asses a few times. one of the next stops will be the airfield, we are also really close to a military base so we should be able to get some better weapons, really want some night vision, torches suck.

Edited by koguchi, 21 May 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#28 TheApothecary

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

It'll be standalone eventually.

It is only Alpha.

#29 Damit

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostSilvieson, on 21 May 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

to play this stupid mod its gonna make me get rid of 20 gig worth of other mods.. seriously... wtf.. design the freaking game to just not use or disable other files its not using..
use a launcher - http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=8241
and only select dayz

#30 Rhysee

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Does anyone know where i can buy a hard copy of this game? not really keen on downloading off steam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!