Making a S15 drift car? 

Drifting Nissan Silvia S15
34 replies to this topic

#1 dreams93

• Car:S15

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hey Guys!

I'm new here and i wanted to know what the people's opinion on making a drift car!
I've just bought myself an S15 and imported it from Japan to Miami, FL and the first thing I wanted to do was to first have fun driving sidewayz!!!!
I've already have experienced drifting for the first 3 months but never had the opportunity to create my own car or have been given advice on building one...
I know tires would be an expense but at least i know thats another thing to work for...
But i also want to know, what adjustments would i have to do making the ride "quake proof" and run smooth.
The first thought i wanted to do was to swap the engine, i know the SR20DET is great and all but i dont want to feel like im driving a 240sx / 180sx.
I have been thinking about making either a 2JZ GTE swap or RB26DETT swap... (would love the N1 version though) but either than that...
I'm clueless to what i should do to handle the torque i would recieve from such powerful engines...
Help and advice would be great on what i should buy to keep my car fast and stable on a drift, also making it an everyday car!!!

Would love to hear everyone's opinion!
Thanks everyone

~Jackson~

#2 saadn

• Car:JDM s15

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

All you need is a diff

#3 harris.

• Car:180sx SR POWWAAAHH

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

arent s15's like super rare over in the states??

if i was you i wouldnt be drifting a car that is not easily fixable/replaceable.. why didnt you just get a 240 if you want to put a 2j in it and learn to drift that??

#4 S15Roc

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

View Postharris., on 29 March 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

if i was you i wouldnt be drifting a car that is not easily fixable/replaceable.. why didnt you just get a 240 if you want to put a 2j in it and learn to drift that??
Not meaning to attack you, but, in general us Australians have such a sh!t approach in maintaining the appearance of our drift cars - why does he need to have drift hack to learn how to drift? Take a look at Formula D in the States, those cars are awesome to look at, at least the QLDers are on the way. But you're right in that they're rare there, if he's happy drifting it then I hope he at least knows that things will break...

dreams93, can you give us more information about your S15? What modifications have you done to it?

You should have a read of some of the build threads here on this site, and on other sites in general to learn what they've done.

Edited by S15Roc, 29 March 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#5 harris.

• Car:180sx SR POWWAAAHH

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

View PostS15Roc, on 29 March 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

Not meaning to attack you, but, in general us Australians have such a sh!t approach in maintaining the appearance of our drift cars - why does he need to have drift hack to learn how to drift? Take a look at Formula D in the States, those cars are awesome to look at, at least the QLDers are on the way. But you're right in that they're rare there, if he's happy drifting it then I hope he at least knows that things will break...

dreams93, can you give us more information about your S15? What modifications have you done to it?

You should have a read of some of the build threads here on this site, and on other sites in general to learn what they've done.

i dont think you understand quite how hard it is to get an s15 into america.. the reason those formula D teams can do it is because they have hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to play with.. it is RIDICULOUSLY expensive to get one imported, and prepped for use on US roads, and smog tested, and all that shit..

worst way to go about drifting.. ESPECIALLY if you only have 3 months of sliding under your belt..

#6 6330

• Car:180sx, Aprilia SXV

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:43 AM

It might be a "track only import"
To the OP, as already mentioned have a look at some of the build threads on here because there are some good ones.
If you have the cash, put everything from a GTR into your ride (RB26, rear cradle, diff, brakes)
Or you could fit one of the bazillion LSX motors that you already have in the states.
Are SR20 conversions that common there now? (considering the price of them over there)

#7 -**wHiStLe**-

• Car:S15, R32, R33

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

You need to put a VR38 into it for it to be of any use to drift with.
Plus make it a twin chassis and convertible.

Otherwise you're just wasting your time!
Trust me on this.

Edited by -**wHiStLe**-, 30 March 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#8 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

got 20-30k handy?

#9 T&E

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

2way lsd, coilovers, adjustable suspension, bucket seat, steering wheel... not all essential but ideal to start off with :)

#10 GODZILLA

• Car:JET200

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

2-way LSD
coilovers
castor rods
decent clutch to handle abuse
drift handbrake button

these are all you need to drift

Oil cooler, sump and radiator will help the engine stay alive

intercooler and exhaust really are a must to help engine breather easy enough to stop factory intercooler getting really hot and causing detonation

chase ability and set-up first, power later

#11 pman

Pooh Bear; Wreckin' porcelain since the 90's.

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Car:RayGay's mum

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

PS3/XBOX + GT5/FORZA

#12 antonio

• Car:S14

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Dear Jackson,

Take the car to a race track, figure out what is letting you down and change parts associated.
Repeat this process until you are happy.

Regards,
The Internet.

#13 MRSR20

• Car:s14a

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

sorry man but the words 2jz, rb26dett, daily driver and reliable don't belong in the same sentence.

#14 R32GTRS

• Car:RB25 R32gtst

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

^ what.

#15 pman

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostMRSR20, on 30 March 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

sorry man but the words 2jz, rb26dett, daily driver and reliable don't belong in the same sentence.

Oh yeah you're right, cause there's nothing reliable about a daily Toyota Aristo.....

#16 MRSR20

• Car:s14a

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

View Postpman, on 30 March 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

View PostMRSR20, on 30 March 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

Oh yeah you're right, cause there's nothing reliable about a daily Toyota Aristo.....
lol obviously i meant it in his case doing an engine swap, take it easy son

#17 pman

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Even in his case, what issues would there be in terms of reliability and ease of daily driving?

#18 dirty_rb30

• Car:180sx show car

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

any car that someone learns to drift in is going to get messed up, FD cars are clean-ish because usually you have learnt to drift before you pick up a sponsorship portfolio, FD license and a pro-spec car :P

Edited by dirty_rb30, 30 March 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#19 dreams93

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

lol suprised to see some responses in a day, anyways... i've just gotten the s15 into the states, just paid for the car and the salesman handled the shipping from japan, now its sitting in my garage and the car is clean besides the exterior body kits and 18 inch rims both front and back, no modifications to the car, its just a clean factory made SR20DET. I may be calling motorex soon to legalize it in the states before i start driving it daily, and yeah im thinking about taking it to a local track and take it for a spin, just gotta work on its suspension for now i guess

#20 ek9

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

isnt it heaps hard to register an S15, skylines etc due to the emissions etc?

#21 dreams93

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

I understand its hard to get Japanese cars in general into the states but as long as money is involved, nothing is impossible.... i for one have money and can make it happen, a little restrictor chips here and there and some modifications to the chassis, maybe roll-cage bars etc. should be like 5k - 10k extra plus garage labor... but other than that, i just wanted some information on making good s15's for drifting, including either a 2jz gte swap or rb26dett swap....

Edited by dreams93, 02 April 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#22 dreams93

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

View Postpman, on 30 March 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

Even in his case, what issues would there be in terms of reliability and ease of daily driving?
i've heard the 2jz gte is a more realiable and powerful engine, compared to the rb26 dett which is lighter but has maybe a 4-6year life span...(so i've heard)

#23 dreams93

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

View Postharris., on 29 March 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

i dont think you understand quite how hard it is to get an s15 into america.. the reason those formula D teams can do it is because they have hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to play with.. it is RIDICULOUSLY expensive to get one imported, and prepped for use on US roads, and smog tested, and all that shit..

worst way to go about drifting.. ESPECIALLY if you only have 3 months of sliding under your belt..
i understand that its hard to get it imported but my dealer already got me the car into miami, plus i have it in my garage, all i did was pay for shipping and the FOB price of the car, $12,500 USD worth for the whole thing, now its sitting at my place waiting for motorex to take a look

Edited by dreams93, 02 April 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#24 saadn

• Car:JDM s15

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Postdreams93, on 02 April 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

View Postpman, on 30 March 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

i've heard the 2jz gte is a more realiable and powerful engine, compared to the rb26 dett which is lighter but has maybe a 4-6year life span...(so i've heard)
let me lay down some knowledge. there's a few builds on here for s14s that you should look at for engine conversion stuff but if i was you id check out ghostys thread. as i said before if you want to just drift it pretty much all you need is a diff. if moneys no issue get everything.

#25 WPN-X7

• Car:LS1 FC vert

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

dont bother touching the motor man. get a decent clutch and diff behind it
and find a decen coilover combo and get as much seat time as you can.

when you start to find the limits of a stockish set up, drop some more coin into the suspension/ motor and go from there.

going all out from the get go will make you to relient on power, and make you a totally shit driver.

#26 pman

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

R, Bolger

#27 WPN-X7

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

View Postpman, on 03 April 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

R, Bolger

powerskid champ of the world. ha.

#28 Shakey Bones

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Dude to drift the least important is your motor. And the SR20 will be perfectly fine. If you want to do a RB or 2JZ swap be my guest. But you won't drift any better for the most part with those conversions.

Out of the box the S15 is a decent drift car. However as everyone has said a 2 way Diff, some stiff coil over suspension, thicker anti roll bars and general suspension components to make the whole car stiffer and more rigid is the best place to start. Just this alone will get you out there drifting pretty well with some good angles and great control. Don't be discouraged that the engine is stock, these car were born to go sideways.

If you want to keep the SR20, just head to the Dyno thread where everyone has posted their setups, But a 3" exhaust, Front mounted intercooler, boost controller and Tune will see a nice reliable 270 wheel horse power that will still be fuel efficient enough for a daily driver while retaining street drivability. Of course with some money and a good tuner that SR20 can see pretty much all the way up to 500+hp and be much cheaper than a RB or 2JZ swap to the same power.

Although it wasn't expensive for you, I can't imagine drifting in a S15 in the states. Why would you want to wreck such a rare car. And yes Drifting will wreck it there are no bones about it.

Like drag racing wrecks your drive line, Circut racing wrecks your brakes, suspension and motor and drifting wrecks your panels and everything else.

Its like someone here in Australia drifting in a 1969 Chev Camaro (if you could do it) it would just be a bad idea as they are so rare. In the states however they are a dime a dozen (Like S15s here)

#29 WPN-X7

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

ive been drifting for aggeess and the most powerful car ive used was my gz20 soarer with a 1j. 220kw atw. and half the tine i didnt even #need# that much power.

160/180kw with a decent set up is PLENTY

#30 B'sS13

• Car:s13 silvia stagea AE71

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Because you are asking this question....

Don't do it. You will FAIL ........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!