Plastic welding silvia s13 aero bumper? Anyone ever try? 

7 replies to this topic

#1 cody Casale

• Car:1990 silvia ca18det

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

I have been plastic welding a couple panels from various cars with no problems-

Currently I am trying to plastic weld a nissan silvia factory aero bumper that I was told is made out of urethane.

When I use my soldering iron, it immediately seems to be burning the plastic and turning it brown?

I have been reading some articles online, and one of them said that some plastics are better to be chemically bonded rather than bonded with plastic welding?

#2 Jarryd F

• Car:S13 SIlvia SR20DET

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

I've tried plastic welding mine. I've used both the pvc and re abs rods and none of them seem to want to stick. just bubbles and turns brown like what's happening with yours.

#3 cody Casale

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:18 AM

^
yeah, I think the best bet is to chemically bond the crack- using a urethane repair kit or something similar- a flexible epoxy or resin

#4 antonio

• Car:S14

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

Ive plastic welded a few bars to date but ive not done a S13 Aero so im using the other bars i have done may be the same material i but have done S14/S15 JDM/Aero bars.

The trick i have found is using plastic from a front bar itself or just another front bar.

#5 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

try searching before posting. sir ashman did an article on bumper repair

#6 cody Casale

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

^ i did try searching and have already seen his thread. I am not asking a generic question about bumper repair- i want to know the proper adhesive for urethane ( not epoxy from bunnings, which he uses).

#7 2gceffy

• Car:rb25det uras cefiro

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Made out of same stuff as HSV bars can't be welded, I'd use that plastic panel bond with mesh or something

#8 YCA18T

• Car:CA18DET S13 Silvia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

The best stuff to use is a Teroson branded product. I can not remember the exact part number, will find out after the weekend when i am back at work. But my aero bar has been repaired with it. it is still flexible but very strong. Much better than plastic welding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!