←  Nissan Silvia (nissansilvia.com)

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

advice on s15 needed

Dave69001's Photo Dave69001 16 Feb 2012

Hi guys,

its been a while since I've been on here and the site has completely changed so if this is in the wrong section please move it,

I'm currently in the market for a S15 and found one I like but I think it may be hiding potential major accident damage.

The gap on the rear tail lights is uneven on both sides and much larger on the drivers side than the passengers (pics attached hard to see in pics but much easier to tell in person) the tail lights have also been replaced with LED ones, the current owner said he was involved in a minor rear ender and it was "professionally" repaired.
What worries me is that if it was professional they wouldn't let it leave the shop with a gap like this and there may be more hidden nasties.

Should I steer clear from this car or does it only look fairly minor?

thanks :)

Attached Thumbnails

  • Attached Image
  • Attached Image
Quote

george.k's Photo george.k 16 Feb 2012

the boot looks like it lines up with the rear body

maybe shit lights...

ask for pics of the damage and if he says he didnt take any he is full of shit... because we all take photos of accidents. before and after shots.
Edited by george.k, 16 February 2012 - 07:56 AM.
Quote

Dave69001's Photo Dave69001 16 Feb 2012

thanks
i have just asked him for some pics ill see what he says, also on the dash cluster the screen on the RPM gauge didn't work, is this anything important or is it just a clock ?
Quote

MidnightMods's Photo MidnightMods 16 Feb 2012

If you have doubts then keep looking. It has clearly been in a smash before so unless it is 40% cheaper then others or its going to be a track pig I would keep looking
Quote

pmod's Photo pmod 16 Feb 2012

To add to George's reply, ask the seller if he has original lights. If not, try to borrow some (or buy cheap from ebay/forums) and fit them.
A reasonable seller won't mind. If he objects, then walk away.

My thought is that it's either the lights, or the stud insert points. If the bolt points haven't been pulled into the correct place post-accident, it will push the lights out as in your picture.

View PostDave69001, on 16 February 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

thanks
i have just asked him for some pics ill see what he says, also on the dash cluster the screen on the RPM gauge didn't work, is this anything important or is it just a clock ?

Just a clock.
Edited by pmod, 16 February 2012 - 08:21 AM.
Quote

liberate's Photo liberate 16 Feb 2012

Yeah the boot looks like it lines up with the car, is be betting on either shot lights or incorrectly fitted lights..
Quote

Barbie princess's Photo Barbie princess 16 Feb 2012

another way of telling if it's been repaired is looking for hard lines of clear coat when you open the boot, doors bonnet etc. sometimes they don't cut them all out, but that could be for minor or major accidents.
Quote

Dave69001's Photo Dave69001 16 Feb 2012

cheers guys hopefully he gets back to me with some pics, normally id steer away and keep looking its just I'm after a white s15 with a sunroof and relatively stock below 20 grand and this has been the only one I've found in sydney after about a month of looking

might be best to keep looking tho eh...
Quote

george.k's Photo george.k 16 Feb 2012

View PostDave69001, on 16 February 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

cheers guys hopefully he gets back to me with some pics, normally id steer away and keep looking its just I'm after a white s15 with a sunroof and relatively stock below 20 grand and this has been the only one I've found in sydney after about a month of looking

might be best to keep looking tho eh...

Y stock... what are your future plans for this car?
Quote

Dave69001's Photo Dave69001 16 Feb 2012

just a relatively quiet exhaust and a nice set of wheels is all i want to do...

police are going crazy with defects in syd lately and I've owned 2 fairly highly modded skylines before so I'm just looking for a nice daily now that i can't be defected for
Quote

george.k's Photo george.k 16 Feb 2012

View PostDave69001, on 16 February 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

just a relatively quiet exhaust and a nice set of wheels is all i want to do...

police are going crazy with defects in syd lately and I've owned 2 fairly highly modded skylines before so I'm just looking for a nice daily now that i can't be defected for

tell me about it... but its the wheels they look at... anyways good luck let us know how u go
Quote

Dave69001's Photo Dave69001 16 Feb 2012

im not after habib spec chrome dinner plates lol just some nice jap 18s with tough offset,

thanks ill update you all when he gets back to me
Quote

pmod's Photo pmod 16 Feb 2012

View PostDave69001, on 16 February 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

just a relatively quiet exhaust and a nice set of wheels is all i want to do...

police are going crazy with defects in syd lately and I've owned 2 fairly highly modded skylines before so I'm just looking for a nice daily now that i can't be defected for

Really? They seem to ignore me. For future reference, which areas are you guys travelling through?
Edited by pmod, 16 February 2012 - 10:15 AM.
Quote

gulrez's Photo gulrez 16 Feb 2012

ive never had trouble either...i think it also comes down to how you drive...
Quote

Dave69001's Photo Dave69001 16 Feb 2012

never mind the car just sold so don't need to worry about it now,

I've been out of the import scene for 2 years never had problems with my skylines in the past but i just want something standard now thats all, i don't drive like a tool,

thanks for your help anyway guys mods can close this thread now if you wish
Quote

RPS-250's Photo RPS-250 17 Feb 2012

Open up the boot trim and have a look at the floor. If there are any inconsistencies or structural re-working from a rear end bingle it will show itself in that part of the car. Otherwise from the pics it looks like just poof fitment of the lights or sub standard tail lights.
Quote

chris2712au's Photo chris2712au 17 Feb 2012

looks like they are cheap SHT lights.. get some stockies.. the fit isnt right.. the thing that i would be concerned about is the water in the boot.. take the spare out and check for rust in the wheel well..
Quote

brent47's Photo brent47 17 Feb 2012

View Postchris2712au, on 17 February 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

the thing that i would be concerned about is the water in the boot.. take the spare out and check for rust in the wheel well..

Found the cause of this at all.?? Gives me the shits, can't possibly be coming from the grommet in the boot floor.??
Quote

pmod's Photo pmod 20 Feb 2012

View PostRPS-250, on 17 February 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Open up the boot trim and have a look at the floor. If there are any inconsistencies or structural re-working from a rear end bingle it will show itself in that part of the car. Otherwise from the pics it looks like just poof fitment of the lights or sub standard tail lights.

I hope this wasn't a typo, because you have articulated the problem with the lights perfectly.
:thumb:
Edited by pmod, 22 February 2012 - 11:07 PM.
Quote

jdm4life's Photo jdm4life 23 Feb 2012

take the car down to a smash repairer you know and get them to assess your car, best way to check if its been in a big or minor hit IMO.
Quote