Protein powder/workout - need advice 

49 replies to this topic

#31 DeluxeJZS

• Car:95 JZS147 Aristo

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

View PostS14_Lee, on 29 February 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

what about the before bed bit ?
This is also fine, I work a week on week off dayshift and evening shift, when working dayshift i train at 4pm and have my shake straight after my session and in the morning, when i work my evening shift i train at 11am and have my shake straight after my session and roughly an hour before i go to bed!! The intake will still be helping the repair of your muscles while asleep!! ;)

#32 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Anything you eat/drink before bed is going to be absorbed more than during the day as your metabolism slows down as you sleep. This is why people who eat late or before bed get fat quick.

#33 Shark

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PoststeveP, on 01 March 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Anything you eat/drink before bed is going to be absorbed more than during the day as your metabolism slows down as you sleep. This is why people who eat late or before bed get fat quick.
LOL BS.
It makes no difference when you eat within a 24hour block. If you eat enough calories to put on weight, you will put on weight. REGARDLESS of when you eat.
I eat before bed, but I'm not putting on weight quick :lol:

People who eat before bed, (generalising here), are usually snacking and eating crap, therefore it won't matter if you ate that shit during the day or before you go to bed, they would still have those calories and that amount of extra crap in their body. Even if your metabolism slows while you sleep, if you ate those extra calories 8hours ago, or you had them 20minutes ago, it makes no difference to the overall calorie intake or how many calories you have burnt in a day.

#34 Marko

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

yeh thats a load of crap. i've been getting in an extra dinner before bed at 10.30pm for the last few months and havent put on any weight.

back to the hijack...have ur shake post workout but u should really eat some proper food around 1.5hours after your workout. I normally have a steak or chicken breast so i dont have to have another shake. If i dont get the time for my 2nd dinner i'll have a casein shake.

#35 steveP

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Just because you're not putting on weight by eating before bed doesn't mean it's total crap. Everyone's body reacts different based on genetics and metabolism. Eating habbits are just as important as what you eat. Like I said, it's common knowledge and it's not like I just made it up. Google it.

Edited by steveP, 02 March 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#36 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

OP, as a tricker and former competitive runner, it's interesting that you want a 'lean athletic body', but plan to just go to the gym.
In my experience, just doing muscle isolation will get you a different body shape.

I really think you should consider a combination of upper body gym (refer to zeropsi's post) with some form of athletics for the lower body and core. No need for squats if you can run or jump. My suggestion is:

- Sand running (windsprints or fartlek)
- Hill sprints of varying gradients
- Timed step runs, resting between passes until your heartbeat returns to 110
- Hopping reps over 30m, alternating feet

Times and reps are highly dependent on your physical capability. It will gain you a lot of leg strength, with the bonus of fitness and explosive power.
If you want to include some body resistance exercises in your routine (planche training, chinups/muscleups/levers/rings/vertical pushups), even better.

Nothing sadder than an athletic-looking guy that isn't very athletic ;)

Edited by pmod, 02 March 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#37 Marko

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

View PoststeveP, on 02 March 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Just because you're not putting on weight by eating before bed doesn't mean it's total crap. Everyone's body reacts different based on genetics and metabolism. Eating habbits are just as important as what you eat. Like I said, it's common knowledge and it's not like I just made it up. Google it.

if ur energy expenditure is high then it shouldnt matter what time u eat. i come home after work, eat half size dinner then workout and have a post workout shake. 1.5 hours later i'll have another dinner thats about 3/4 of what i call a meal before bed so my body can use the nutrients from that 2nd dinner to recover from the workout

#38 S3 TRXTC

• Car:banana

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

http://broscience.co...-boogeyman.html

#39 stupidlikeafox

• Car:S14

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

For a long time it seems everyone was against eating big before bed and for spacing your meals out throughout the day. But in recent years they've found meal timing isnt that big of a deal, its more so your total caloric intake and macros

I think a lot of people have had success with lean gains etc
http://www.leangains...abel/Fat%20Loss

#40 Shark

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostS3 TRXTC, on 03 March 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

http://broscience.co...-boogeyman.html
You obviously didn't google it bro.

#41 steveP

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Like all things diet/workout related, there's arguments for either side. Just because you think a certain way doesn't mean everything you don't agree with can be totally disregarded. Got to love your ignorance.

#42 El Freako

• Car:Nissan Pulsar SSS

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

No, its a pile of crap. It was common theory but has since been debunked. There can be arguments from both sides sure, but that doesn't stop one side from totally wrong.

I intake the majority of my calories just before bed because its my post-workout period. I have a decent breakfast and dinner but during the day my eating can vary due to uni. I've been losing weight.

#43 Dr. Cranium

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

I used to eat 2 chicken breasts and 100g of pasta at midnight, didn't get fat, just huge.

People need to stop over thinking shit.

#44 Marko

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

just f**king eat if ur hungry. what the clock tells u doesnt mean anything. eat big = muscle growth

#45 free_state

• Car:s13 ca18det

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostMarko, on 17 March 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

just f**king eat if ur hungry. what the clock tells u doesnt mean anything. eat big = muscle growth

Exactly , I've gained 5kg since january , no real diet plan , just eat quality foods whenever I feel hungry . Also good to have some low fat cottage cheese & maybe some peanutes before bed . Whey protein shake not real good - absorbed quickly .. but can't hurt .

#46 DRIFTKID

• Car:Stagea

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

That is the dumbest thing i have read in a while..

#47 -**wHiStLe**-

• Car:S15, R32, R33

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

For me, it feels like it has some validity to it.
In the evening/night, I start getting much more hungry than I am during the day.
I understand this as the body trying to maintain and recoup everything it's used in the day.
Not sure if that has anything to do with it at all, but eh :)

#48 steveP

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostDRIFTKID, on 01 April 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

More ignorant people. Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's the stupidest thing ever stated by a human being. Grow up.

First 2 google search results.

http://www.illpumpyo...-before-bed.htm

http://au.askmen.com...ating_well.html

I admit it's not as black and white as totally not eating regardless of what you're trying to achieve. Obviously if you're building muscle you want to have a constant source of protein and you don't want to starve your muscles throughout the night. You build muscles as your sleep/rest, and if you're being kept awake due to digestion, you're hindering yourself. Not eating at least 2 hours before bed is more of a weight loss solution.

#49 Dr. Cranium

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PoststeveP, on 02 April 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

View PostDRIFTKID, on 01 April 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

More ignorant people. Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's the stupidest thing ever stated by a human being. Grow up.

First 2 google search results.

http://www.illpumpyo...-before-bed.htm

http://au.askmen.com...ating_well.html

I admit it's not as black and white as totally not eating regardless of what you're trying to achieve. Obviously if you're building muscle you want to have a constant source of protein and you don't want to starve your muscles throughout the night. You build muscles as your sleep/rest, and if you're being kept awake due to digestion, you're hindering yourself. Not eating at least 2 hours before bed is more of a weight loss solution.

Neither of those links list an author, nor do they provide any evidence.

I reccomend weight loss clients to either eat cottage cheese or take a casein shake in the minutes before going to sleep.

#50 skuma

• Car:'96 180sx, Supra RZ

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

yo peeps!

interesting to see what people are writing, I guess everyone's diff
to be honest ive been eating late meals at night before bed and have found it helps me gain weight n lift harder, although i got a bit of stomach fat nowdays lol..

Took a bit of a break from the gym in dec-jan but have been hitting it preety good past few months..up to79kg now, gained about 6kgs in 4 months (trying to get lean muscle so not overdoing it trying to get 'mass')

been using a workout similar to this (replaced few exercises and dnt do much 'burn reps')
http://www.muscleand...kout-split.html

i seem to be a bit stuck on barbell curls and lat pulldown, cant seem to move up in weights on those quickly at all

Edited by skuma, 16 May 2012 - 06:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!