Where to put guages? (without drilling the dash!) 

Guages Dash
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Where to put guages? (without drilling the dash!) (174 member(s) have cast votes)

Where to put three guages? (Air/Fuel, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 miller.k

• Car:RPS13

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

Id put them in the middle of the dash above the ac vent, all facing the driver. I had a set of defi copys with sunshades. Looked pretty cool. Its Also Legal in nsw and easy to see. As for mounting, just clean the surface with wax and grease remover and use the 3m double sided stuff from bunnings to stick em on. Worked a treat for me

#62 LISTEN_180SX

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

I'm planning on getting the apexi el II gauges (only 25mm deep) and mounting them behind the steering wheel just below the factory dash/gauges.

Neat and tidy, out of the way, but in direct line of sight.

#63 S14_Lee

• Car:S14 Zenki,

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

so whats legal ?

can you get away with one on the a pillar ?

#64 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Not in NSW, and I don't believe they're legal in QLD either, for reasons of head impact and vision obstruction.

Anyway, since this thread has been resurrected, might as well post something unhelpful.

Attached Image: Cluster01.jpg
Attached Image: Cluster02.jpg
Attached Image: Cluster03.jpg

#65 SR2OYO

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

View Postpmod, on 19 April 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Not in NSW, and I don't believe they're legal in QLD either, for reasons of head impact and vision obstruction.

Anyway, since this thread has been resurrected, might as well post something unhelpful.

Attachment Cluster01.jpg
Attachment Cluster02.jpg
Attachment Cluster03.jpg

LOL!

I honestly prefer AC vents, it looks clean and theres no drilling and f**king around. But I have one on the pillar and it's pretty goood.

#66 Suspop

• Car:S15 / Megane RS 250

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

^What's that? Boost? Like kind a cool, kind of useless?

A piller is not legal.

#67 pmod

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostSuspop, on 24 April 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

^What's that? Boost? Like kind a cool, kind of useless?
A piller is not legal.

Boost and water. The sensors aren't hooked up in the pics.
I really needed them to troubleshoot some problems, and wanted them out of the way. The cluster seemed like the best place for ease of viewing, as well as subtlety.

It's totally irrelevant to this thread though. Chances are nobody will ever do it lol.

Edited by pmod, 26 April 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#68 sidies

• Car:s14 silvia

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

I would relocate AC controls to above or below stereo and use din setup in the AC hole

Also you can use those little sun visors to angle the the gauges with a little sanding (flip them upside down) if your just making a panel

This is my set up at the mo,. Its not a 13 though

Fibreglass replacement panel

Posted Image

Edited by sidies, 30 April 2012 - 03:31 AM.

#69 pmod

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

^Very nice.

Since it's an auto, is the car used for drags, or just a cruiser?
If drags, are the gauges just for pre/post-run checks? Seem a little low to reference during a run.

#70 sidies

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Just a Daily , They're not to bad because the bottom ones face up quite a bit cause of the curve at bottom (hard to tell in the photo, I'm leaning ford quite a bit)) the far left one is on more of a angle facing the driver. Its more for aesthetics that one. Its actually a N/A just oil pressure , oil temp, and going to get intake temp to see the difference in temps with my intake scoop and air box on.

I'm working on a different set up now that clips to the AC controller hole I,ll post some picks when I'm done, and yes they are much easier to reference

Heres another pic you might be able to see what I'm taking about, Sh#t photo though

Posted Image

Ha Ha check out the state of the interior what a mess

#71 Humpty Dumpty

• Car:Wide Body 180sx

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

That looks nice and neat... I have mine on the a pillar but may move them to just above the a/c vent and just 3M tape it on

#72 sidies

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

As promised the clip in setup

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think black textured coat will look better for that one, or chop and round the edges, what do you guys reckon?

Posted Image

#73 sidies

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostHumpty Dumpty, on 01 May 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

That looks nice and neat... I have mine on the a pillar but may move them to just above the a/c vent and just 3M tape it on

Be careful if your wiping your dash with prepsol it can eat in to some plastics ,use some dish washing liquid and hot water its a good degreaser or some citrus cleaners are good, IMO I wouldn't attempt it with any solvent based products

#74 (Locky)

• Car:kouki s14

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

S13
just essetials, boost and yashio dig water temp
Posted Image

s14
Did this ages ago, glassed up the double din adn where the ashtray/cig lighter goes
bad pic but you can see it in background
Posted Image

brother s13
Got defi din combo, prob going to get the same for thbe laurel as there neat, subtle and have stuff all wiring compeared to 3 seperat gauges
Posted Image

#75 Suspop

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

^ problem with that is you have one pressure, so you'll skimp on boost if you where thinking of having it down there.
And I don't really see having an oil temp and pressure and valuable as say having.. water temp, oil pressure and boost.
Also I see that this is kind of a bad spot because it's too low to view 'all' the time.

I like the digital solution pmod did, however I don't think I have the skills to do that effectively (neatly).

Edited by Suspop, 05 May 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#76 ravewar

• Car:S14 S1

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

View Postsidies, on 02 May 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

As promised the clip in setup Posted Image Posted Image I think black textured coat will look better for that one, or chop and round the edges, what do you guys reckon? Posted Image

Very nice! where did you relocate the A/C controller to?

#77 (Locky)

• Car:kouki s14

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

View PostSuspop, on 05 May 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

^ problem with that is you have one pressure, so you'll skimp on boost if you where thinking of having it down there. And I don't really see having an oil temp and pressure and valuable as say having.. water temp, oil pressure and boost. Also I see that this is kind of a bad spot because it's too low to view 'all' the time. I like the digital solution pmod did, however I don't think I have the skills to do that effectively (neatly).

I still have the boost near the cluster somewhere, on the cage in my 14
Boost is something that I like to be able to see out of the corner of your eye all the time. An overboost can kill an engine in a few seconds
The other oil press water/oil temp is somehting you caheck occasionally, like before/after every run. And a defi din setup looks factory like on the JDM s14 and GTRs so alot neater and les flashy that 3 singles in din pocket

#78 sidies

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

View Postravewar, on 05 May 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

View Postsidies, on 02 May 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

As promised the clip in setup I think black textured coat will look better for that one, or chop and round the edges, what do you guys reckon?

Very nice! where did you relocate the A/C controller to?

Just below the stereo in the old pocket location, bit of messing around but worth it IMO

Posted Image

#79 pmod

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostSuspop, on 05 May 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

^ problem with that is you have one pressure, so you'll skimp on boost if you where thinking of having it down there.
And I don't really see having an oil temp and pressure and valuable as say having.. water temp, oil pressure and boost.
Also I see that this is kind of a bad spot because it's too low to view 'all' the time.

I like the digital solution pmod did, however I don't think I have the skills to do that effectively (neatly).

http://www.nissansil...howtopic=518128

Main skills are soldering and using a razor knife without cutting your fingers. You should be fine.
Just buy an old cluster for cheap and if it works out, swap in the parts from the good one. If not, only 70 bucks blown.

#80 Suspop

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hmm that's not too bad at all.
But is it useful for fast variable data? I mean I find needle ones seam to give you a better idea of what's going on. Digital numbers might just drop like from 13 to 7psi and you have no idea what has just happened. While with the needle you can see the motion and the speed of the needle.
It would be find for like oil or water temp because that doesn't vary with such great speed. Not sure about oil pressure, it does vary (but not having one I can't comment if it's significant while driving).

Anyway have you thought about putting 2 or 3 gauges on the left side where your left leg is. Like one after another. Idea came from just finding a position for the boost gauge, but I then thought... maybe I could put more down there.

#81 karbonphyber

• Car:180SX

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Sticky tape, lots of it. will hold up :)

#82 clean-s-13

• Car:s13 (RB20DET)

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

I wanted to put mine down near my left knee so that the cops leave me alone. :/

#83 clean-s-13

• Car:s13 (RB20DET)

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

Posted Image
this is where I put mine.

#84 s13k's

• Car:'93 Silvia K's

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

R32 GTR Din gauges! My set up below.

They work great, look stock and light up so good during night. Cluster, stereo, gauges are all in perfect harmony :)

Posted Image

#85 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

may as well not have one if it is hidden in the ashtray.

#86 R32GTRS

• Car:RB25 R32gtst

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

lol what good is it down in the ash tray :lol: yep no point even installing one

#87 baka_janai_no

• Car:Nissan S13 Silvia

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Attached Image: 44965_159225370773638_7649090_n.jpg

why not use a triple gauge cluster and use double sided tape?

#88 greens14

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

I'm not sold on those gauge holders that sit on top of the dash. They look a bit tacky.

#89 rip200sx

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

anyone got pics of 3 gauges on dash facing driver *clean install*
what brand gauges are recommened best bang for buck?
LOL at the ashtray gauge

#90 robbo_rb180

• Car:sil80 & s14

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

I just bought a broadfield gauge holder quality is really good
Attached Image: 2013-05-18-093.jpg
these saas gauges were $50ea and I haven't had an issue with them but am replacing them in the near future

you can get them off zilvia http://zilvia.net/f/...uge-plates.html
Attached Image: broadfield gauge holder.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!