Cordless rattle gun 

39 replies to this topic

#1 Suspop

• Car:S15 / Megane RS 250

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

It'll be for re-doing and undoing (a lot of) wheel-nuts only.

So I don't need any of those fkoff ones. I'll only need about 120Nm (I only tighten to 90Nm anyway coz I don't want to kill it), but I've been told to aim for 18V.
Not sure on brand. Maybe Makita - they served me well to date. But I'd expect it's overkill for my application, hence waste of money.

I'm thinking I'll have a problem with the rattle-gun twisting/stuffing up the thread on the bolts/nuts. (maybe I've just had bad experience.)
Problem two, I was told I can't use my normal socket set as it'll snap them. Since when, why? Or is this valid for only crap-o sets?

People have suggested I just get a socket extension for my 18V drill. Dunno. I don't think it'll be able to crack the nuts and re-do em to even 50Nm.

#2 hinto2

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

A drill won't undo wheel nuts! I've got a snap on cordless rattle gun and I love it. I use it 8 hours a day, battery's last ages, hardly struggles undo'ing bolts. Only thing is they are $800. I also use normal sockets on it, they have been known to shatter and crack but I havnt had this happen to me yet.

#3 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

Normal double hex sockets will break after time, as the material is thin between the 'points' of the hexes (i have broken countless :lol: ) and the only reason you will stuff threads is if they are cross threaded to start with or try to hold it on for 10 mins

#4 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Yes get one, great investment. I picked up a 540nm torque nicad rattle gun with 2 batteries and charger for like $350. Yes nicad ain't great but 2000 recharges is heaps before the batteries might f**k out and even then it's not exxy to get new ones made from battery world.

#5 3skimo

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

Hitachi makes a pretty good one a few guys at work have them and they get a beating and the battery last for ages i think for 800 u can get 3 batts a charger a rattle gun and a drill

#6 Jarno

• Car:S13.4 SR20Det

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

makita, hitachi, panasonic, milwaukee are all very good i use most of these in out in the trade i rate makita over all tho, $800 Pfft thats way to much for somthing for home use or not every day use

#7 krazy faken

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

you mean impact sockets, dunno but at work i don't always use impact grade sockets (tracking conveyors, doing up dynabolts, etc) and haven't broken any sockets yet... but if your doing it day in day out might aswell get a set since they can be bought from super cheap or what ever fairly cheap.

i have an 18v Hitachi, decent not sure on specs but will undo wheel nuts and battery life is fairly decent.

#8 0kla

• Car:Type X

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

My dad got me the Hitachi 18v Lithium Ion Cordless Impact Wrench, cant beleive how F***** handy it is. Best power tool ever.
Got 2 Different modes: Power mode: 220nm and Save mode: 120nm

#9 Suspop

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

Sweet thanks. I'll get one then.

So I need the single hex ones, whatever they are called.

And really, no one has ever had problems with them stuffing up threads?
I did one the other week, I managed to.
But I'm guessing there will be fine torque settings on these good ones that will stop that?

#10 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

Just make sure you always start the nut by hand then use the rattle gun to tighten it. if you put the nut in the socket and then try and rattle gun it on the thread chances of you f**king the thread are pretty high :P

#11 Big Fella

• Car:chev c1500

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

if it's just for weekend use, i'm pretty sure Sp have just released a range of electric rattle guns

I rock the 18v Snap on gun for work, it has more power than my old blue point pneumatic rattle gun
only downside is the lack of torque adjustment, but that is what the trigger is for!

#12 STR8E180

• Car:GTR R34 V-SPEC

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

milwaukee make the best one on the market
I've worked in big construction projects and it's all they use
Use it for tightening up steel beams that support and hold up buildings

These shit on every other brand out there and are seriously the best on the market

http://www.milwaukee...impact-wrenches

#13 1800nsuss

• Car:r33

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

View PostSTR8E180, on 08 May 2011 - 08:13 PM, said:

milwaukee make the best one on the market
I've worked in big construction projects and it's all they use
Use it for tightening up steel beams that support and hold up buildings

These shit on every other brand out there and are seriously the best on the market

http://www.milwaukee...impact-wrenches
Milwaukee do have the best warranty
Out of power tools these days
2 year battery warranty
5 year mechanical warranty
But yeah all I use is makita

#14 Suspop

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Will have a look and decide.

But I think most of the listed are overkill.
I might have exaggerated in my first post, it'll be used for say 2/3 sets (set of 4) of rims per week on average.

The other day I did it like 10 times, but the 2 week prior I didn't do jack.

#15 Yo_Mang

• Car:Nissan S13 RB20DET

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

If you are just after something to do wheel nuts I reckon go for an "EzyWrench". I picked mine up at a local 4WD joint for about $50. Pretty basic setup, plugs into the cigarette lighter or clamps onto the batteries. Comes with 4 impact sockets to get the wheels undone which do the trick.

One recommendation though would be heading to Super Cheap and buying a "Mag Wheel Nut Socket". They have a soft coating, silicone kind of later on the outside so it doesn't scratch your wheel. I know my CR Kai's got scratches around the nuts from not using them (to add to the scratches in the middle of the rim that the nuffy tyre balancer put there Posted Image)

340nm Torque, 100w. Bought it to save time changing wheels at Winton and it made life in the pits so much easier!

http://www.kcimports...u/item.php?i=31

#16 0kla

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

View PostGHOSTY, on 08 May 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

Just make sure you always start the nut by hand then use the rattle gun to tighten it. if you put the nut in the socket and then try and rattle gun it on the thread chances of you f**king the thread are pretty high :P
Haha yep I've stuffed up a few spacer threads and bolts doing it this way, you think its faster but takes forever to fix

#17 brent47

• Car:jdm 15

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

Those Milwauke guns are wicked Kemp.!! Im due for a newy and wil be getting one next keen too see how they go in hand.

Had 2x Panasonics and by far the best gun iv used, both with a 1/2 inch drive so i could smash through sockets piece quickly and also with a snap on drill chuck and 1/4inch drive.
Loved em, $800 a kit through total trade 8 years ago and im peeking iv f**ked em both (each saw around 50 or so drops off ladders thou)

Used cheapies for sparesand they'v all been shit so i wouldn't bother with them.

Using a makita with 1/4 snap in now and its ok. Only got it so could interchange batteies with couple different types of cordless steel saws and torches etc + hammer drill. Higher voltage but i still reckon the panasonic shat all over it.

#18 RandyMarsh

• Car:s13

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

snap on if you have money and get a decent set off impact sockets

#19 caaraa

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

I use is makita too
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 STR8E180

• Car:GTR R34 V-SPEC

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

View PostRandyMarsh, on 08 May 2011 - 10:34 PM, said:

snap on if you have money and get a decent set off impact sockets
I've used snap on and they are very good also but Milwaukee Is better

#21 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:21 AM

You don't use a drill to crack the nuts, or give them the final torque; that should be done with a cross brace or the equivalent. To make it easier, chop off one socket to the side of the one in use, and slide a pole over it for greater leverage.
The drill is simply used to spin the nuts on, which imo is one of the most annoying parts of the process.

#22 RandyMarsh

• Car:s13

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

View Postpmod, on 09 May 2011 - 12:21 AM, said:

You don't use a drill to crack the nuts, or give them the final torque; that should be done with a cross brace or the equivalent. To make it easier, chop off one socket to the side of the one in use, and slide a pole over it for greater leverage.
The drill is simply used to spin the nuts on, which imo is one of the most annoying parts of the process.

rattle them off. rattle them on. f**k checking wheel nuts torques then go do skids hahahah

#23 liberate

• Car:S13+S15

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

I've used a snap on cordless rattle gun before, best tool I've ever used! Definitely worth the price

#24 Jarno

• Car:S13.4 SR20Det

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

Makita have a 3 speed control model abit pricey tho, I found that sydeny tools had the best price for cordless tools

#25 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

View PostRandyMarsh, on 09 May 2011 - 12:24 AM, said:

View Postpmod, on 09 May 2011 - 12:21 AM, said:

rattle them off. rattle them on. f**k checking wheel nuts torques then go do skids hahahah

Yeah... I'm talking about what you do if you don't own a rattle gun.

#26 hinto2

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

Only bad about snap on is the warranty, 6 months on battery and 1 year on the gun... I'll deffinatly buy another brand when my gives up, didn't ever realize there were others on the market to be honest, just bought it, no one at my work had ever heard of electric ones n now everyone has one lol, so much better !!

#27 OLDATO

• Car:Datsun Stanza, 180sx SR20DET, Datsun Stanza Coupe

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

(old thread bump)

Saw a handy idea recently that might save everyone with a cordless rattle gun a LOT of time ..

Weld a fitting onto a scissor jack (the stock jack that comes with your car) and jack the car up in seconds using the impact wrench!

#28 0kla

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

View PostOLDATO, on 01 August 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

(old thread bump)

Saw a handy idea recently that might save everyone with a cordless rattle gun a LOT of time ..

Weld a fitting onto a scissor jack (the stock jack that comes with your car) and jack the car up in seconds using the impact wrench!
Haha like your thinking

#29 Guest_-SR NRG-_*

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

just spend a shit load on all new bosch blue powertools and snapped up there new 18v 3 amp li ion impact driver with 650nm of grunt, thing rips your arm off hahaha, retail about $750 i think

#30 Rolled Cambers

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

I have an el cheapo brand. Works just fine lol!
But in saying that, it's only ever used once or twice a week.
Heavy duty go bosch, makita, or milwaukee. I personally would go makita cause that's all Ive ever used, never let me down :)
Bosch is good, but they do have some low quality tools for the cheap people like me. So watch out for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!