S15 dash into a 180sx 

10 replies to this topic

#1 R3SPCT

• Car:Nissan 180sx

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

Hey guys

Getting my hands on a s15 dash with the center console soon for my 180sx, I've read a few forums a while back about the installation but a few questions i had were not found

1. planning to run air-con with my sr20det conversion, any hassles on connecting this up to the new dash?
2. i have the airbag missing on the left hand side and it will sit open, anyone ever made up a custom gauge holder that sits there?

Tell us your thoughts and pics :)

Thanks

#2 zorkz88

• Car:S13 Qs

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:18 AM

Speak to ziptie dude hes got the conversion done

#3 yellow_S15

• Car:200SX S15

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

Hammer, hacksaw some zip ties and duck tap and she'al be rite :D

#4 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:45 AM

View Postcazman, on 25 April 2011 - 12:25 AM, said:

Aircon is unrelated. Unless you want to put the digital climate in, which is pointless.

Not true. The S15 and S13 air gear do not fit one another. It's actually the hardest thing about this conversion, having done it myself.

The folks who say the dash conversion is simple generally remove all the air controls for a track car, hence it never gets mentioned.

View PostR3SPCT, on 24 April 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

Hey guys
1. planning to run air-con with my sr20det conversion, any hassles on connecting this up to the new dash?

Yes. It doesn't fit.

The only time it will is if you install all the S15 gear, meaning S15 loom/airbox/heater core/air baffle/climate controls/light sensor/dash reinforcement bar (metal tube the pans the entire width of the dash).

If you plan to run the 180sx digital controls (as I did), then you'll have to cut and plastic-weld a lot of the S15 air tubes to both clear the 180sx bar, and mate up to the 180sx air box.
It's a lot of trial-and-error cutting, welding and refitting.

Hey guys
2. i have the airbag missing on the left hand side and it will sit open, anyone ever made up a custom gauge holder that sits there?

I thought about this (a popup plate that would hide stuff underneath it), but decided to do something different.
The shape is not a flat plate, so make sure you tape it all off, cover the outside with cardboard, and make a fibreglass mould of it from the inside. Too much of a pain in the ass to do it any other way.

#5 R3SPCT

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

thanks, im going to try and get all the aircon working with piping and run it through the s15 aircon controls
fitting is pretty easy with new mounting plates fitted

might get my hands on some fibreglass and start prepping up some gauge holders - don't know about flip up gauges, too much effort

#6 AnotherS15

• Car:RPS13 FTMFW

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:52 PM

why wouldnt you just mount 3 or 4 60mm gauges in the aircon vents like everyone else.. they are easy to see for you while you're driving, which is important, not easy to see for everyone else (ie, police) looks factory which is nice...

I've got an S15 dash at at home at the moment, however as my aircon has been removed due it it being heavy, I don't have to worry about aircon controls etc.. I have a rocket switch setup for my demister and thats about it...

#7 AnotherS15

• Car:RPS13 FTMFW

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

View Postcazman, on 25 April 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

A 30kg weight penalty that gives you a better demister, and a second radiator core for your engine.
Not to mention the creature comforts of having a fan, air con and a heater.
Unless you bothered to get light weight rims and windows you wasted your time.

Just like people who want rocket switches for indicators. The factory stalk has like 11 switch settings that you can operate without looking.
People just want to modify for the sake of it.

Aircon came out because the compressor was siezed anyway, hence it was excess weight with no added benefits. Aftermarket radiator ftw. I will miss having a fan I'm sure, but I never had aircon so I wont miss that. The car is not a daily, so comfort is low on the list of priorities...

The "removed as it is heavy" comment was a bit of a laugh.. Obviously not as funny as I thought... I tend to quote the words "Weight reduction" every time I take anything out of my car. no matter what it weighs... vacuming the dust/dirt and stones off the metal under the pedals is a weight reduction :P

#8 R3SPCT

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

thanks guys

seems pretty simple. im going to end up putting in all the aircon gear because im undergoing a sr20det conversion and want to run aircon due to it being a street registered track car (it'll be seeing more street than track)

#9 mikk

• Car:1990 180SX

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

s15 controls and equipment under the dash. easiest way.

#10 imking

• Car:180sx

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

View Postpmod, on 25 April 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

View Postcazman, on 25 April 2011 - 12:25 AM, said:

Aircon is unrelated. Unless you want to put the digital climate in, which is pointless.

Not true. The S15 and S13 air gear do not fit one another. It's actually the hardest thing about this conversion, having done it myself.

The folks who say the dash conversion is simple generally remove all the air controls for a track car, hence it never gets mentioned.

Hey guys

Yes. It doesn't fit.

The only time it will is if you install all the S15 gear, meaning S15 loom/airbox/heater core/air baffle/climate controls/light sensor/dash reinforcement bar (metal tube the pans the entire width of the dash).

If you plan to run the 180sx digital controls (as I did), then you'll have to cut and plastic-weld a lot of the S15 air tubes to both clear the 180sx bar, and mate up to the 180sx air box.
It's a lot of trial-and-error cutting, welding and refitting.

Hey guys

I thought about this (a popup plate that would hide stuff underneath it), but decided to do something different.
The shape is not a flat plate, so make sure you tape it all off, cover the outside with cardboard, and make a fibreglass mould of it from the inside. Too much of a pain in the ass to do it any other way.

hey if possible can i se some pics of how u got the s15 vents and tubing to fit on the 180 ????

#11 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Postimking, on 18 February 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postpmod, on 25 April 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

hey if possible can i se some pics of how u got the s15 vents and tubing to fit on the 180 ????

I'll try to fish them out and PM you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!