Harris' steeter/track hack - Type X shiz fitted page 15! Silvia

440 replies to this topic

#1 harris.

• Car:180sx SR POWWAAAHH

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

Attached Image: DSCF1008.JPG

Hey guys, iv always loved reading through peoples builds and how someones car gets built into the machine they want, and finally I picked up an s13 as i only have a few months left on my P's and can finally get into a turbo car..

Bit of a backstory: A mate of mine from highschool had a 180sx bought for him by his parents when we were in grade 11, and as we were besties i spent a large amount of time riding around shotgun.. it had an sr20det in it, and was basically stock but as I was a youngun i thought it was the coolest thing ever, and have been in love with nissans ever since..

The high power restriction laws came out for p platers just before i got my licence, so i was forced to suffer through with NA's but i treated them as practice for when i could finally get into an S13 with an sr.. In a few months i will be able to drive one (legally) so i have been looking for one with an SR in it for the last few months and finally one popped up.

Present day:

A mate on here in the townsville section posted up saying a mate of his offered him an 80 with an sr in it for around 3000 but he wasnt keen on it, i went to inspect the car and it looked pretty straight with low k's (77000) so i jumped straight on it.. Went and withdrew the money the next day and the day after that it was getting delivered to my house on the back of a tow truck.. happy days for me.. Posted Image

The body is very straight, has a few dints here and there, but nothing major considering it will be 20 years old next year.. no rust visable and the paint is still very good, im assuming its had a respray somewhere along the line.. It currently has a pretty big bodykit on it that im not a fan of, so first chance i get i will be pulling it off and replacing the rear and front bars with something much more subtle.. The car also came with awesome clearies on the back (sarcasm there) and some 16 inch Black Racing Pro N1s in bronze.. The only drama with the car right now is that the brake master cylinder is shot, so brakes work eventually but not well.. will be replacing that first

Below is a complete list of the mods i know the car has, if anyone sees anything in the photos i havent mentioned be sure to speak up!!

Bodykit - Unknown brand
Clear Tail Lights
16 inch Pro N1's
Front mount
HKS blow off valve - i'll be ditching this asap and plumbing it back in
Greddy Profec B turbo timer and boost controller- i assume its good, dont know much about it
Cusco Coilovers front and rear - Unknown spring rates, didnt feel too harsh
Cusco Front and Rear strut brace
Short shift kit - i hate it, i cant get reverse half the time, i just want it back to stock
Some fully sick touchscreen cd/dvd player - good to have i guess, i dont really care though
Some random MOMO steering wheel and shift knob, the knob is screwed so will replace very soon, steering wheels alright for now

Alright heres the pics iv got so far, car needs a good clean but i live in a block of units and theres no taps anywhere, and i dont dare drive it unreg this close to having my opens

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Future plans:

Replace brake master cylinder and hope that fixes brakes..
Ditch the kit - i like stock body 80's that are really low with good fitting wheels
dmax roof spoiler - maybe, it might look ghey with no kit, i'll ps it up and look
Change the tail lights - Type X ones soon
Remove the short shift kit and go back to stock
Get some 17 inch wheels with good offset - i love the look of meshies but hate keeping them clean, will probably just get some p45r's or grids or xxr's of some sort.. will definately be white though, i love white wheels on bright colour cars..
Get rid of the momo shift knob and buy a nismo one..
T28 from an S15, im not really gonna be chasing big power but more so response, so i figure i get one of these on the cheap and go from there.. if i want more power down the track i can deal with that then..
Basically just clean up the engine bay a bit, the car looks pretty clean on the outside but there is sh*t everywhere in the bay, i like it to look semi-organised..

Alright thats it for now guys, sorry for such a long opening post but i like when build threads are long and have a story to it, so if you dont like it, then just ignore all this and look at the pics.. Posted Image

Thanks for reading guys Posted Image

Edited by harris., 13 June 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#2 astorey

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

Wow 3k?

What's wrong with it. :lol:

#3 SIRdriftsalot

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

Dude that's a f***ing bargain im jealous

#4 harris.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

hahaha yeah it really is a bargain.. nothing is wrong with it, yet.. iv only driven the car around the block so until i get it on the road properly i wont know whether there is any underlying issues..

Also the reason i got it for so cheap is it belonged to an army guy who had it for a while, then bought himself an evo 9 and let this car run out of rego.. tbh if i was in his position i would probs drive the evo as well.. anyways it ran out of rego then just sat on the side of the road being unloved, he is leaving for afghanistan or something like that in a few months and he needed to get rid of it, so i was able to get it for so cheap..

alot of things are too good to be true, and this very well may be one of them.. i just havent discovered the problem yet.. car starts perfectly, drives perfectly, no rust to be seen.. i'll keep looking though.. :)

#5 robbo_rb180

• Car:sil80 & s14

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

not too bad a deal. looks good, seems to be a few more of these getting around lately.

#6 jaytamm

• Car:Evo 8 MR

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

Wow. Amazing bargain! Nice find man.

#7 harris.

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

View Postrobbo_rb180, on 05 March 2011 - 08:24 PM, said:

not too bad a deal. looks good, seems to be a few more of these getting around lately.

yeah bro, i was expecting something with shitty paint and way less extras than what i got, but it all sorted itself out in the end..

ps swap tail lights?? hahahah :P have you got stockers or type x in yours?

#8 robbo_rb180

• Car:sil80 & s14

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

View Postharris., on 06 March 2011 - 12:22 AM, said:

View Postrobbo_rb180, on 05 March 2011 - 08:24 PM, said:

yeah bro, i was expecting something with shitty paint and way less extras than what i got, but it all sorted itself out in the end..

ps swap tail lights?? hahahah Posted Image have you got stockers or type x in yours?

i have type x in my car but i have a spare set of std lights if ya want to change yours.
i still have the spare car if you want to come over & see if ya want some bits off it.

#9 harris.

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:21 AM

oooh i might actually hit you up to come and have a look man.. im working today and have uni all day for the next three days, but im free thursday and friday.. pm me your number and i'll give ya a call thurs arvo or something..

thanks man :)

#10 Rebelin

• Car:S13

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

Looks good mate. good choice with changing the lights back to stock will look heaps better. Good pick up mate.

#11 harris.

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

thanks rebelin.. yeah im thinking of painting the centre garnish black as well, we'll see how the lights look when i change them and go from there..

also, i paid for the brake master cylinder today, so it should be here some time this week.. hopefully i can get it sorted out by next weekend and then i'll look at getting those lights out..

#12 harris.

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

so brake master cylinder arrives this week, i'll be putting it in as soon as the weather permits (its been sh*tty and rainy here) and then a brake bleed and hopefully that fixes my pedal to the floor dramas..

anyone have any insights as to fitting/replacing the BMC?? apparently its a pretty straight forward job.. any problems that may arise?

#13 Rebelin

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

Good to see your not mucking around man. this weather does suck hey.

#14 harris.

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

yeah man, as much as its good for the slides it sucks with the motivation to do things.. after i do the brakes im gonna hook up a rwc and hopefully we should be right to go.. will defs have to get a mini cruise going as a meet and greet sort of thing..

#15 Rebelin

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

Let us know. ill come down and see the big rig :P

#16 Superbad

• Car:1992 S13

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

Damn - good buy for 3K.

#17 Guest_Dark Bringer_*

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hey the wheels aren't bad. Keep em for now. What BMC did you get? Same? Always better to upgrade. Pretty sure s14/s15 would be sufficient. But RB25 one would be better if you intend to upgrade to 5 stud later on?

#18 I.SkidKid.I

• Car:series 5 rx7

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

bargin at its best

#19 harris.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

yeah it really was a bargain, i dont think i would have gotten it for so cheap if the guy wasnt a cashed up army guy with an evo 9 as well, but hey, sometimes you get lucky..

@dark - i just got a replacement one from the same year.. thinking about it now i probably should have upgraded but that can come later on, the aim right now is to just get it back to roadworthy condition so i can register it and drive it around :)

yeah the wheels arent bad, i think iv just been looking at too many cars in the offset thread and seeing the gap around the wheels looks stupid to me, so im thinking i need some 18s and some more low to fill that gap.. ;)

5 stud convo would be nice later on, especially if i want to eventually get some white XD9's, they come in the best sizes for 5 stud :thumbsup:

#20 harris.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

alright a bit of an update.. had a few mates come over today to stuff around with the 80 and try to get the brakes sorted.. after fitting the replacement master cylinder and doing a brake bleed the soft pedal was the tiniest bit better, but overall no real change.. the brakes work well at like the bottom 20% of the pedal, but the other 80% on the way down still feels spongey and sh*tty and doesnt apply any pressure to the pads at all..

i wasnt game to drive the car around the back streets to see if it got better with a bit of action as iv read, but one of my mates got in the car and strapped it round the block.. he came back with a big smile on his face, my hopes were up thinking that the brakes fixed themself, but he just smiled and said "brakes still dont work, car pulls very very hard though" :)

so i guess good and bad news, car apparently runs and boosts awesome, holds 14psi perfectly, but the brake situation is still not sorted.. will be getting another booster tomorrow and will replace that and do ANOTHER bleed to see if that fixes the situation..

wish me luck!! :)

#21 harris.

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

alright more of an update, finally had some sun up here so decided to give the car a service, replaced oil, oil filter (that was a f*cken drama) fuel filter, plugs and bled the brakes.. the f*cken oil filter wouldnt come off, no matter how hard i tried, so after 2 days of trying and help from the ns team ;) we were able to drive a screwdriver through it and bottom and turn it from the bottom, whilst getting another mate to turn it from the front and off she came.. i also pulled the BOV off as it was so loose on the flange it was free spinning on the spot.. iv never really been a fan of BOV's but will look into the pro's and cons the next couple of weeks and make a decision from there..

so after the service and the brake bleed the car runs even better and seems to hold boost better and the brakes actually work now, so thats a big plus.. :)

will now attempt to get a rwc done in the next couple of weeks(heaps of uni shit coming up, dont know when i'll have time) but after i get the roady done i will then get her registered and we'll go from there.. will attach some pics of the oil filter drama tomorrow, there are some pretty funny ones in there, plus the state of the oil filter when we finally got it out..

#22 harris.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:09 AM

Alright more of an update.. in the last week iv done quite a few things for both the 80 and getting my r31 ready for the new buyer.. r31 has now been sold so will be pumping all my dollars and effort into the 80..

Getting a rwc done on the 18th, it should pass no worries ;) then will register it and it will be on the road..

stuff iv ordered in the last week:

Dmax roof spoiler
Sweet pink dildo knob (for the ladies) as the momo one just spun on the stick, wrong thread size or whatever
Mr Sparkle sticker for the rear window
New horn button as my current one has a crack in it and it was shitting me

Alright, things i am doing in the next couple of days..

Backyard black spray job on the mirrors i got from fellow ns member (Sampson) and fitting them..
Take side skirt off and cable tie the crack thats down the middle of it.. i dont really care how it looks, just annoys me when i can hear it flapping..
whack front bar back on, i think it has a little crack on it so i might get the cable ties to that as well to prevent further cracking..

Will get some more pics up once the front bar is back on and the roof spoiler is here and on the car..

drive safe ns'ers :thumbsup:

#23 Rebelin

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

sounds good man. Will be good when its all registered man.

#24 dirty trispoke s13

• Car:s13 club edition

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

im going to put it out there and say its a b&n sports kit ? anyone agree?

#25 harris.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

View Postdirty trispoke s13, on 05 April 2011 - 09:25 PM, said:

im going to put it out there and say its a b&n sports kit ? anyone agree?

after extensive research (posting a pic on zilvia.net) a few people have pointed out that its either GP Sports or Version Select type 4, which i believe is a copy of gp sports.. either way im not really a fan, but it will be such a pain to get a front and rear bar sent up here, then painted to match.. frankly id rather just complain.. :thumbsup:

maybe the car will look better with 17/18's and the dmax roof spoiler i ordered last week.. we shall wait and see.. :)

#26 harris.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:17 AM

View PostRebelin, on 05 April 2011 - 08:28 PM, said:

sounds good man. Will be good when its all registered man.

hahaha yeah man, your telling me.. :P im literally counting down the days til the rwc and i can drive it (legally) as driving it up and down the street to test the brakes ;) just doesnt really do it for me..

we'll definately have to organise a cruise bro, how's your sil coming along??

#27 Rebelin

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

finally started to get somewhere. im picking up parts from robbo's tonight then new engine and manaul conversion :) then rego

#28 harris.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:35 PM

View PostRebelin, on 06 April 2011 - 05:10 PM, said:

finally started to get somewhere. im picking up parts from robbo's tonight then new engine and manaul conversion :) then rego

awesome man, yeah we've finally been getting some sunny weather and it hasnt been stupidly hot so we're all finally getting somewhere..

Alright in the last couple of days iv painted the mirrors i got off sampson black and have fitted them up, also have put the front bar on the car and have cabletied up the sideskirt that had the crack in it.. i will be putting the sideskirt back on tomorrow and giving the car a wash sometime this weekend..

after that i will take some good photos with the slr so you guys can see all the hard work iv been doing.. :P

drive safe boys..

harris

#29 harris.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:06 AM

here's a quick pic with the front bar on.. thats me trying to do a funny face like the japs do on the D1 street legal intro videos.. not funny looking at all.. <_< hahahaha

Posted Image

#30 Flying180

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:10 AM

props for the epic story!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!