coilover comparison s13/180 

41 replies to this topic

#1 bass_rulz

• Car:1989 s13 silvia

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

hey guys, i have kei office coilovers in my car an the rears are leaking really bad and i need new ones,

Im just looking for pretty much direct experiences with what ever type coilovers and would you recommend them or not! thats pretty much all!

the car is mainly street driven, but purpose built for track/ hill climb and a bit of drifting. rather than spending the same price on used coilovers i would rather buy new ones.

these are the ones i am looking at:

bc gold/br series

http://cgi.ebay.com....=item230dc2e9e2

bc v1 series

http://cgi.ebay.com....=item2a0d99d88e

and isc n1 coilovers

all have the same spring rates 8 f- 6 r (with the exception isc i can choose between 4,6,8,10,12)

all have 30-32 step damper adjust (except for hsd hr has 15 damper adjust), an full height adjustable

and all around the same ball park figure

if you have a recomendation for another brand same ball park figure and spec's please put a link so we can see.

i will be ordering one of these during the week so i am keen to know

Edited by blingcommander, 07 June 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#2 -LCD-

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

V1 are a fine coil cover, but for the extra $100 or so the br are noticably better.

The br have the bearing in the top spring hat, larger diameter shock tube, same valving as the v1 however. The camber tops are very good quality also with replacable bearing.

Bc are made in taiwan, as far as I know the isc ones are Chinese made, and the n1 with the upgrade kit (bearing in the spring hat) is more expensive and older then the bc br coilovers...

-dan

#3 bass_rulz

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

cheers man exactly the info im looking for

#4 S13 silviAAAH

• Car:ca18de+rb20det s13

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

ive got Isc N1s and dont hav a problem at all with them. Great amounts of adjustability, and great feel too. Only other s13 with coils ive driven had BC Br's and tbh i think the isc felt better, noticeably better. just my 2 cents

#5 Guest_Poker_in_the _Rear_*

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

not a fan of the ISC stuff.

#6 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

get both suppliers to put up INDEPENDENT dyno graphs. put their money where their mouth is

#7 driftmatt

• Car:S13

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

View PostPoker_in_the _Rear, on 30 January 2011 - 08:09 PM, said:

not a fan of the ISC stuff.

Why?
Personal opinion or Problems with Product?

#8 bass_rulz

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

i have just added hsd hr to the poll

and im not doing this to put any brand name down the toilet just looking for facts an direct expierences.

#9 JDM Driftjunkie

• Car:1990 s13 silvia

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

ive got bc br gold series in my s13 and i love them i havnt driven any other car so dont know what other coilovers are like but bc are great buy and nice to drive

#10 -LCD-

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hsd coilys are good, but for the money the bc br are better, with more adjustment...and for the fan boys, they go lower aswell.

-dan

#11 Tidge

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

Most interested in seeing dyno plots for all of them. Though I wouldn't expect to see a friendly curve from either of these, however probably perfect for drift.

OP, you can request all BC coils in the same range of spring rates, 4-12 kg/mm. They just take about a week or two longer to ship. I have been told by Just Jap that the shocks will be revalved to suit before they are shipped out. Perfect time to request a dyno too.

#12 blingcommander

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

yeah i'd be inclined to get the results double checked independently on arrival

#13 mps89t

• Car:91 S13

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Ive got BC coilovers in my s13 and ive never had a problem with them.

#14 J-moNeY

• Car:S13

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

I also have the BC BR coilovers, they are awesome.

#15 mik fader

• Car:s13 nissan silvia

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

I got d2 coilovers love them and only cost 1000 delivered

#16 Tidge

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

Everything I've seen, BC Golds > D2.

#17 AnotherS15

• Car:RPS13 FTMFW

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

bc br's in my 180sx make me want to touch myself in the knickers... nuff said..

#18 WPN-X7

• Car:LS1 FC vert

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

ive had JICs, HSDs at one point.. and finally went to BCs.. by far my favourite out of the lot.

kinda hard to explain it over the net. but they felt good and went looowww

#19 bass_rulz

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

View Postcazman, on 09 February 2011 - 03:00 AM, said:

^ I was just trying to explain that to a customer. The "feel" they give.
Any coilover with identical spring rates will have the same kind of grip levels.
The difference is in the damper. If you have the better damper your car will be more stable. The body control and weight transfer will be near identical with any coilover of the same rates.
Where you pick up speed is wheel control over bumps.
The less the car is jumping around on you and scaring the living shit out of you, the easier it is to control and be confident doing the higher speeds.
There are no back to back lap times for coilovers. The closest I saw was keichi tsuchia with k office in his NSX.
The bmi test showed a 0.400 second lap improvement. So close that driver error could have been the issue.
I've seen better results from light weight rims.

I've said it before, but last time I went Ina car with ISCs it was scary over 100 through Clarendon/kangarilla.
Even if you get your hands on dyno plots of both brands it won't mean jack.
Dan put it well, the ones that feel better will allow you to go faster.
Put it this way though, go find the most f**ked up bumpy hilly road you know of (Clarendon is good for SA guys) and if your car bounces at all, your dampers are shit. Most if not all people just think stiff and bouncy is peachy, but your slow. Get in an M5 and doing 250kph thru kangarilla is actually fun instead of scary.
Rule of thumb, of your headlights bounce up and down at ALL on any road, your coilovers are pieces of shit. Why settle is what I can't understand.

In the US with trophy trucks, The most accurate way of testing valving is to shim your bilsteins at home, take it to your local track (dunes and Desert in TRophy trucks)
then film the car over whoops, jumps & ruts.
When you get home you just analyse the data and re valve from there.
These guys use fox and bilstein as they cost about $150ea per shock, and that's for external reservoir 5000 series too. It's the free accurate way to tune. No one can afford potentiometers in private classes here or in the USA.

ok good info. so in general your saying if buying coilovers buy good quality ones not settle. but do you have any suggestions which one's? or even in you opinion which is the best of above?

#20 fiend.

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Out of the ones you mentioned, the BC BR's would definitely be my choice. I'm going to shorten my post and just agree with LCD's first post as to the reasons why.

I personally own Greddy Type S coilovers, and even though you didn't list them, I believe they can be had for similar money, and are worth every dollar.

Been using them for over 3 years now with no problems or funny sounds. Great adjustability, damper control seems progressive, and the spring rates (8 and 6) seem good for everything i've put them through (mainly street and mountains, with occasional sideways action). The main difference between the Greddy's and those you listed is the progressive rate springs at the rear, which I am led to believe aid traction in all conditions, especially on our bumpy (and often wet) roads. Very, very happy with them. I did a mini review of them in the Tech/mech section which should be searchable if you're interested. Greddy's also have a published damper graph, if that counts.

#21 6330

• Car:180sx, Aprilia SXV

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

Kei Office/Erfolgkei/DG5 FTW!
Fit ur camber plates from the Kei Office coils to whatever you end up buying. :thumbsup:

#22 eXquiSit

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

View Postfiend., on 09 February 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

Out of the ones you mentioned, the BC BR's would definitely be my choice. I'm going to shorten my post and just agree with LCD's first post as to the reasons why.

I personally own Greddy Type S coilovers, and even though you didn't list them, I believe they can be had for similar money, and are worth every dollar.

Been using them for over 3 years now with no problems or funny sounds. Great adjustability, damper control seems progressive, and the spring rates (8 and 6) seem good for everything i've put them through (mainly street and mountains, with occasional sideways action). The main difference between the Greddy's and those you listed is the progressive rate springs at the rear, which I am led to believe aid traction in all conditions, especially on our bumpy (and often wet) roads. Very, very happy with them. I did a mini review of them in the Tech/mech section which should be searchable if you're interested. Greddy's also have a published damper graph, if that counts.

have you had br's in ur car?
if you have, how do they compare to the greddys?

#23 bass_rulz

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

i have just seen greddy type s coilovers to suite s chassis (i think these were s14,s15) for $2050 probably rrp but still out of my ball park figure.

#24 blingcommander

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

so save up longer. do you really NEED coilovers right now?

#25 bass_rulz

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

View Postblingcommander, on 12 February 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

so save up longer. do you really NEED coilovers right now?

rears yes, or atleast before i drive her again.

and is there any reason y i couldn't just get something just as good (or close) just a bit cheaper and not greddy brand.
i know the cost is high because they alot or r and d, but something that just isnt as big a name brand

for eg say hks gt-rs turbo only say $2400 and equivalent garrett say gt2781r?? $1600 even tho hks use some garrett parts

#26 fiend.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

View PosteXquiSit, on 11 February 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

have you had br's in ur car?
if you have, how do they compare to the greddys?

I have not ever had BC's in my car, as they came out well after I got my Greddy's.

IIRC, I read a rumour that the Greddy's and BC's were made in the same factory, but I might be mistaken.

Either way, if it were a difference of $400-500, i'd prefer the progressive spring rates in the rear of the Greddy's, as well as some added assurance from a brand I trust (Posted Image), because I use my car for a whole lot more purposes than drift/track, and I like the idea of having more grip over uneven surfaces, especially in Melb's (often wet) weather conditions. Others disagree, and prefer the consistency of non-progressive rear springs, but from memory these were people mainly using their cars for serious trackwork and not as dailys. It's up to you, the money can always be spent elsewhere. For me personally, suspension is something I was happy to spend a bit more on, wanting to have the best I could afford. I managed to pick mine up in an Autobarn Doncaster Christmas 20% off sale, so they cost me $1600, which the champs at the store back then let me even pay in installments lol, after commenting I was the first person to order them and that they were losing a fair bit on cost due to the storewide sale.

I believe Trent and Cat from Uras/Status also rate the Greddy's, with 8 and 6 spring rates, fwiw (although this was some time ago now).

#27 eXquiSit

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

thanks for that mate
=)

#28 RRP1

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

highly recommend e-motors coilovers!!

#29 essare

• Car:s13, 1JZ MX83

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:25 AM

i have jic coilovers in my car. im not a huge fan of them but it could just be that they are kinda old and im piicky. they arnt bad but ive got some kts ones to put in when i get off my ass and do it. ill let you know how they go.

Edited by essare, 21 February 2011 - 12:27 AM.

#30 essare

• Car:s13, 1JZ MX83

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

View Postessare, on 21 February 2011 - 12:25 AM, said:

i have jic coilovers in my car. im not a huge fan of them but it could just be that they are kinda old and im piicky. they arnt bad but ive got some kts ones to put in when i get off my ass and do it. ill let you know how they go.

turns out they are awesome.:lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!