It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

who has made a completely diff Career change. 

135 replies to this topic

#1 CroS13

• Car:S15 GT Spec S

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

Just in abit of a emo mood about work at the moment, ive done my apprentership, been qualified 2 years and its dawned on me that its not the industry i want to be in the rest of my life. Work is bearable, i have good workmates and its not boring, but the fact that there is no real opportunity for progression from here has kind of got me down. i feel like ill be stuck in a rut.

So i put forth this question, who has been working in a particular industry for x amount of years, and has made a completely different career move into a industry totally unrelated? how hard was it taking those first steps and how hard was it to get a job after studying (if applicable), especially when you have so many years in a profession that doesnt count for squat?

also, if you've made this move, are you now happy with your current jobs?

reason i ask is there are alot of jobs i would be interested in, yet all of them require a uni degree, and im unsure if i can make the move from full time work for the last 6 years to full time study, especially when there are bills to pay! :(

#2 -fill-

• Car:180sx

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

what do you do?

the biggest thing is going from having 1800 a fortnight to next to nothing. A lifestyle change hard to bare with for some

#3 -Del-

• Car:99 Liberty sedan

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

changed outta warehouse/forklift/truck work to an out back tour guide..

have only done one run so far.. but i depart a few days after Christmas on my next trip... AND LOVING IT!

it was a big gamble.. but its doing something i love.. getting paid to do what i do on holidays.. is a massive incentive to make the leap. but i guess not really the same kinda thing your looking at..

#4 silskidz

• Car:black top sr s13

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:28 AM

I'm a qualified boilermaker/ welder as of a month ago but just applied for the armed forces today. Hope to be metal smith in the army or if I can serve on the front line for a few years then move onto a metal smiths job later down the track

#5 vr4nut

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:22 AM

IT Officer come Mountain Bike Instructor.

The instructing is fun, but it's winter now so I'm in IT again. After next summer I'm coming back to Aus to continue working in IT. The instructing should give me a bit of an edge in leading a team and advising people on skills, etc.

#6 s13 owner

• Car:silvia s13

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:15 AM

I went from panel beating to electrician. Best desition ever

#7 01010011

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:07 AM

I was an apprentice panel beater for 4 years, now im a cocaine sniffing accountant!

#8 purplesil80

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

i worked in sales for 3 years, im now training to become a police officer..mainly so i can shoot people.

#9 maiky-s15R

• Car:99 s15 SPEC R

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:26 AM

That's not something I'd post up since cops do deep background checks on u

But on topic I went from sales to bio-med now in banking

#10 purplesil80

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

^^ if i had something to hide i wouldnt be trying to join in the first place ^_^

#11 A31Cefiro

Because I'm suave its ok for me to act like a prick

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts
  • Car:A31 Cefiro

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

Went from whatever work I could get, cahnging jobs everytime I got bored, sick of the bullshit or fired to joining the ADF. Best career choice I've made so far and easily the longest job I've held down.

#12 KidDynamite

• Car:S14A

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

View PostA31Cefiro, on 09 December 2010 - 11:56 AM, said:

Went from whatever work I could get, cahnging jobs everytime I got bored, sick of the bullshit or fired to joining the ADF. Best career choice I've made so far and easily the longest job I've held down.
ADF? australian defence force?

#13 A31Cefiro

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

^ Yes

#14 KidDynamite

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

im in the same boat been in customer service for 5+ years thinking of changing for the better grrrrr

#15 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

been a mechanic for 8 years full time. now just doing random jobs here and there. the hours are awesome, but the pay is shit hahaha

#16 KidDynamite

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

View Postblingcommander, on 09 December 2010 - 12:18 PM, said:

been a mechanic for 8 years full time. now just doing random jobs here and there. the hours are awesome, but the pay is shit hahaha
but you love it without that knowledge your build would cost alot more than expected aye blingy :P

#17 GFUNK

• Car:Onevia

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

yeah im in IT

got into it straight after school now 5 years later im like "sheeet wish id gone to uni" i really need to go to uni or change jobs, but if i went to uni i know id be slack sleep in class never study etc

#18 headlock

• Car:Evolution IX

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

been contemplating the same thing

I'm in IT and i hate it. cant stand the thought of being stuck at a desk doing stuff i dont care about for the rest of my life.

but i'm 31 this year, got a mortgage and a wife and all the rest and it's just too hard to drop 10+ years of experience in the toilet and start something new for no money.

#19 blaq-boi

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

same boat, qualified metal fabricator. just applied for a job today at a call center. just for a fill in.
my trade was good, but theres no chance i am going to be putting on overalls for the rest of mylife.

next year im thinking about going engineering at uni

#20 ONE_VIA_S13

• Car:VW Golf

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

Ive gone from being in Cryptologic Systems in the navy (Electronic Warfare) to being a Photocopier Tech

More money, more freedom, go home to my own place, sleep in my own bed and be with my awesome girl every night.

#21 A31Cefiro

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

^ More money? What pay level where you on in the puss (ADF term for Navy for those non military types reading this) & how often did you go to sea? All my Navy mates are on good money due to being CTL/CTS and going to sea a fair bit, not to mention deployments.

The grads and APS 4/5 at my work have done 5 years uni to be on the same wage as me and still have to pay rent and cover their own medical expenses.

#22 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

I think every job has its honeymoon period and the grass is always greener. And for some people, employment just plain sucks no matter what. Think long and hard before you give up what you're doing 'cos times are pretty crappy if you're looking for work.

#23 sid280

• Car:Patrol Car

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

Age - Career Path

15 - Quit school and started web design company (IT / Computers)
15 - Farmhand and Bakery Work
16 - IT / Computers
18 - Demolition
20 - IT / Computers
21 - Marketing and Promotional Products
22 - IT / Computers
23 - Car Suspension Expert
26 - IT / Computers

I'm 28 and my next venture is *hopefully* going to be travelling and teaching English, and depending on how many people come along we're thinking about purchasing a rice farm and some houses in rural Thailand for sustainable living research and things like that. Who knows...

#24 headlock

• Car:Evolution IX

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

employment just plain sucks no matter what.

this is true and is the number 1 reason i haven't made a move elsewhere

i cant think of anything i actually am passionate about that i can earn money from, so the reality is - no matter what i do, it's going to be a 'waste of time' that i wont enjoy.

#25 vr4nut

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

Sustainable living research? Sounds like a pretty sick idea. What would be your goals/objectives? Just to run a farm and see how it all works or for you and your friends to live on the land?

#26 sid280

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

View Postvr4nut, on 09 December 2010 - 01:16 PM, said:

Sustainable living research? Sounds like a pretty sick idea. What would be your goals/objectives? Just to run a farm and see how it all works or for you and your friends to live on the land?

Yup :D

We want to develop Wind / Solar / Hydro style products for things like small holidays houses and units so they don't need to be connected to the power grid, yet still have proper facilities such as lights and entertainment.

For examples :
- Solar panels that rotate with the sun
- Hydro power turbines that sit inside downpipes and gutters for when it rains
- Solar furnaces / steam power generators
- Pedal Power generators
- Electric / Pedal power Hybrid bikes

The list goes on, our starting plan is to develop D.I.Y kits for kids who want to run their electric stuff like PC's / iPods / RC Cars through sustainable energy, then grow them into larger scale things like fridges.

#27 JDM EVO

• Car:Evolution VI GSR

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

Walked straight into retail after school and managed a Mitre 10 store for a few years but the pay was shit and I sick of dealing with dickhead customers.

Then went to uni (in which I have temporarily taken some time off from) to persue a career in the building industry. Plenty of dickheads in the building industry (i.e. subcontractors, engineers and architects not to mention clients), but just not as many. Sick of having to fight tooth and nail to get paid... especially if you are contracted by the client.

Recently, I purchased the rights for a business in SA (and there is another business venture also in the pipeline) as a side venture which (if it really takes off), I won't have to build for architects and clients anymore. There is huge money to be made but the volume ATM isn't there... although I am expecting things to rapidly change. If and once that is up and running, I want to property develop and build for myself. Just looking for an easier life without having to deal with all the bullshit.

#28 A31Cefiro

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

View Postsid280, on 09 December 2010 - 01:35 PM, said:

We want to develop Wind / Solar / Hydro style products for things like small holidays houses and units so they don't need to be connected to the power grid, yet still have proper facilities such as lights and entertainment.

For examples :
- Pedal Power generators

The list goes on, our starting plan is to develop D.I.Y kits for kids who want to run their electric stuff like PC's / iPods / RC Cars through sustainable energy, then grow them into larger scale things like fridges.

Thailand is probably the place to do something like that as more developed western cultures don't like self sustainability that much in terms of the council/govt getting their hands on your $ for property rates, water, electricity, etc.

Have you seen the doco about a hippy commune that did the exact same thing in the US? They called their homes 'earthsips' - built them out of car tyres & plastic bottles, had solar energy, grew all their own food. They got raped in court under zoning permit laws, etc as the authorities didn't take too kindly to them not having to pay for electricity, water and so forth and wanted them to be on the grid and pay rates like everybody else.

#29 sid280

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

View PostA31Cefiro, on 09 December 2010 - 01:57 PM, said:

View Postsid280, on 09 December 2010 - 01:35 PM, said:

For examples :
- Pedal Power generators

Thailand is probably the place to do something like that as more developed western cultures don't like self sustainability that much in terms of the council/govt getting their hands on your $ for property rates, water, electricity, etc.

Have you seen the doco about a hippy commune that did the exact same thing in the US? They called their homes 'earthsips' - built them out of car tyres & plastic bottles, had solar energy, grew all their own food. They got raped in court under zoning permit laws, etc as the authorities didn't take too kindly to them not having to pay for electricity, water and so forth and wanted them to be on the grid and pay rates like everybody else.

Talk about a thread hi-jack!

I've heard about the earthships but haven't seen the doco on it, can you remember what its called - I'll download... I mean I'll purchase it from a reputable online shop or something. One of the people involved in this project is thinking about buying a house which is totally disconnected from the power and water grid with a few acres of farm land, but its 200km from the city so I guess the government isn't too concerned about something that far out.

Thailand already has solar power everywhere and labour is cheap, also Thailand produces a fair amount of electronics and they have a few factories there that build DC Brushless motors which can be used as a motor, or as a generator with the right controller, and there is heaps of sunlight there for solar power.

Glad some other people think its a good / fun idea :)

#30 vr4nut

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

Earth ships are really incredible - they are like a living house. Check them out for sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!