RePost: How to install an oil catch can? 

14 replies to this topic

#1 CA18DET_S13_Silvia

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

Ok, I got an autotechnica catch can. It's not baffled. Has 2 inlets on top and a drain plug on the bottom.

I have searched for a straight forward install, but can't find one. Hell, I don't even know it's basic operation, all I know it it catched oil from blow by and helps keep moisture and crap out of where u don't want it.

It's going into a drift car, so the best setup is required.

Does it drain back in under vacuum?? I always thought it should, but there is not a pipe going to the bottom of the can, so I guess I'm a bit noob with that one...?

Anyway here:
http://forums.nicocl...an-t137506.html there are several setups, they are all very confusing... Do I want/need an air filter for one side? Or a PCV Valve??? I'm so lost...

Posted Image

Thats what it looks like...

If someone could give me a diag, or something and explain what I need to know about them and how to go about it, that'd be AWESOME!

Also, it's a CA18DET, S13, just in case that makes a difference...

#2 old boy racer

• Car:SIL80

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Diagram 3 is the setup, I installed mine the same. Itís easiest and legal.

#3 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

http://www.nissansil...howtopic=337858

http://forums.nicocl...an-t137506.html

cool story. i googled it

#4 CA18DET_S13_Silvia

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

Hey thanks for the reply, but my car is a track car only, so I'm not phased about legality issues, as long as it's ok for the track and works best. Also, I find those pics a little confusing...

#5 Captain Wow

• Car:180sx ca18det

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

It's pretty simple sh*t dude. If you can't follow those diagrams then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Take it to a mechanic or a mate who knows how to hook it up.

#6 old boy racer

• Car:SIL80

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

View PostCA18DET_S13_Silvia, on 28 July 2010 - 07:31 PM, said:

Hey thanks for the reply, but my car is a track car only, so I'm not phased about legality issues, as long as it's ok for the track and works best. Also, I find those pics a little confusing...
Diagram 2 then would be good for track, or you can just stick the little filter directly to the rocker cover without catch can but I would think thatís a fire hazard and donít know if you will be hassled by scrutineering at the track.

#7 INMATE

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

As said above, if you need to start a new thread about how to install a catch can maybe you should get a mechanic to do it. theres guides all over the place, read through threads, replys and find out what the best way is. I done mine couple weeks ago and i found tons of info, and the best way to do it. all i did was use google.

#8 Simvegas

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

You need to baffle it bro, otherwise you are just sucking the oil vapours back into your intake.

I used some alumium plate to divide the inlet/outlet, then drilled the plate with about 150 tiny holes, then filled either side with stainless steel pot scrubs.

#9 OLDATO

• Car:Datsun Stanza, 180sx SR20DET, Datsun Stanza Coupe

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Also - make sure if you are going to run one of those little filters somewhere - you dont have it set up in a way that the engine is sucking in un-metered air (by passing the AFM )

#10 meminto

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

Here is a diagram that might help you..

Posted Image

I understand your frustration, about your last post, yes this is a forum community and we do the best we can to help people. However you need to understand that this is a common query on the forum..

Although I didn't lock your previous thread, I support the mod who did..

Edit - Thankyou for removing the paragraph in your opening post..

Cheers...

#11 CA18DET_S13_Silvia

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Ok awesome... I have done an extensive search and found what I believe to be correct. Thanks for the diagram mr moderator sir and I have edited my post. I also understand that the question gets asked alot, but as far as I could tell there is nothing about a strictly drift application. And also, maybe you could get Dr Boost to fix up the missing pics in the DIY sticky?

Is this right? I am guessing not, and I realise I need baffling, I will work out a way to incorporate this...
Posted Image

I also will include an empty pic, if someone could crudely draw in how it should be done for me if I should be using both breather (or all 3??) hoses... I understand the vacuum and boost differences now, but is all still a bit fuzzy. Thankyou everyone for helping me though. I think it's just one of those thing that once you get, you forget how compicated stuff like this can be.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#12 INMATE

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

like this

edit- the same way meminto showed to do it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: Untitledgb.jpg

#13 meminto

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

The easiest way to add baffling is use bunchy steel wool (not the really fine strand packed together stuff) and stick it in the catch can itself..

I will draw up something on you blank pic tomorrow evening if you can wait till then, unless someone else does it beforehand..

The top one, although it will not pressurize the sump, is not the most efficient way of doing it, the pcv is actually not doing anything..

#14 CA18DET_S13_Silvia

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

Bump... Would I be able to get that pic please meminto?

#15 meminto

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

View PostCA18DET_S13_Silvia, on 30 July 2010 - 08:27 AM, said:

Bump... Would I be able to get that pic please meminto?

Sorry mate was at perisher yesterday all day on the snow fields so I was buggered last night, I will do it today..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!