R200 Diff Ratio change 

14 replies to this topic

#1 s_13

• Car:s13

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

I have a tomei 2 way with a 4.09 and a vlsd r200 4.36. i want to change the tomei centre into the 4.36 ratio diff. will i need to adjust the shims etc or change the bearings over or is it a bolt in affair? I guess i could just check the mesh and backlash and if it's ok then i'm good to go?

#2 Bradshaw

• Car:-s14a- r31

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

Im pretty sure shimming the diff will be necessarry for diff swap, also, I dont know if the crown wheel (where the ratio comes from) will suit ur new diff. One of the seniors will probably ad to this post!

But get a pro to do this for you. If it locks up because of a dodgy job, could be trouble.....

#3 TRIPOD

• Car:CEFIRO, LAUREL

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:42 AM

when i did the ratio swap on mine i basically pulled the centre out i wanted, bolted on the crown wheel of the ratio i needed and bolted this back into the corresponding housing with pinion gear still installed, and checked the backlash and it was the same so left it at that.

#4 s_13

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

View PostTRIPOD, on 22 December 2009 - 11:42 AM, said:

when i did the ratio swap on mine i basically pulled the centre out i wanted, bolted on the crown wheel of the ratio i needed and bolted this back into the corresponding housing with pinion gear still installed, and checked the backlash and it was the same so left it at that.
What about the pinion??!!!??

#5 TRIPOD

• Car:CEFIRO, LAUREL

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:52 AM

i had the two diffs sitting side by side and basically just swapped the centres over, so i didn't remove any of the pinions so in reality every thing should bolt up the same, so unless you just have a loose crown wheel and pinion not in a housing this won't work for you.

If you have to swap the gears over in the centre then i would recommend someone who has worked on diffs before to set up the backlash and how the teeth mesh on each other.

#6 aym23q

• Car:S15

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

its best to get a pro to properly lap the diff once the centre is put back in.

#7 Drifta-X

• Car:SR20 S13 Silvia

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

get your backlash and all that set by a pro.
the differance in shims can be as fine as .1mm you can have that much differance in wear from one gearset to another.

#8 IDR46

• Car:Nissan s14

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

ah god lol got to put the matching pinion in with the crown wheel, yes you will need to check/set the backlash, if you dont have the matching pinion for the crown wheel you will need to get the diff lapped

if you are not sure take it somewhere

#9 s_13

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

I'll i'm thinking of doing is putting my tomei 2 way centre into the other diff housing to get it to 4.36:1 Should be ok as long as all the shims go back as they were. I wont have to swap the bearings will I?

#10 IDR46

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

wont be right mate and will f**k you crown wheel, but no you wont need to change the bearings...

#11 s_13

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

View PostIDR46, on 23 December 2009 - 10:46 AM, said:

wont be right mate and will f**k you crown wheel, but no you wont need to change the bearings...
So everybody who has put in a 2way centre to replace their lsd has damaged their crownwheels? I cant see how it will stuff it if i put in the 2way centre and use the pinion and crownwheel and pumpkin from my 4.35 vlsd.

#12 IDR46

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

will be right if you use the matching pinion to that crown wheel

#13 dom88

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

pinion and ring gear in every diff are matching sets if you want to change the ratio all you have to do is swap the 4.09 ring gear with the 4.36 and put your centre back into the 4.36 housing. when you pull them apart you will see that the ring gears will have a number on them 4.09 will hav 49 on it, that is the number of teeth on the ring gear. and the pinion will have numbers 12-49 meaning the pinion wich i think all do have 12 teeth and 49 meaning its a matching set for the 49 tooth ring gear. how i mentioned above would be the easiest way to just change you ratio.

#14 cuttz

• Car:mx83 cressy

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

sorry to jump into the thread but i also have a tomei 2 way centre laying around witch i want to install into my s13.
i got a r200 housing for it but it has no gears its just a bear housing.

my s13 had a locked r180 installed (4.3 ratio i think) and im wanting to make the r200 a 4.4 ratio.
where do u guys sorce the gearsets from? and how much would u expect to pay for a set? (if 4.3 ratios are cheaper ill go with that)

#15 s_13

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

All back in and running now. Using penrite limslip 90 oil. it has quietened right down now. Gearsets are available from nissan but it would be easier and cheaper to find somone selling a r200 complete diff as you will find it hard to get the gears meshing right yourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!