Salt residue when sweating 

18 replies to this topic

#1 negativecamber

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

hey all

i am a body noob to start off with but i have a question that i want to know more about.

i am a slim build guy who works a shit ton of hours a week and am in the building business. i sweat my ass off everyday i work and am 27 years old.

all of a sudden my sweat is leaving salt residue on my skin and clothes for the first time ever. i have not changed my diet or routine but i seem to be coming home after a hard days work with salt all over me.

does this mean that a certain organ is not working properly? or am i just getting old?

cheers

scotty

#2 Blazn' 180

• Car:JDM s15

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

The salt residue on your clothes will just indicate that you are sweating quite ALOT, and its trying quickly (usually quite common in hot weather). Similar reason for it on your skin, but it will usually indicate that you are sweating quite alot and either you stop working and sweating and it dries quickly or if it is still happening whiltst your working, this indicates that you are stopping to sweat and this means you are quite dehydrated and even worse might be coming close to having some sort of heat illness.

#3 koguchi

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

lol scott I get it most days from working..I mostly notice it on my face when I rub it after work and get epic ammounts of salt on my fingers..big buildup of fine salt..
I thought it just means its been really hot and you worked hard...somone correct me if I'm wrong lol.

#4 negativecamber

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

woo, so basically i need to hydrate more yeah?

#5 koguchi

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

either that or work less.. :D I got salt when I was skinny and now while im fat..
whats your working environment? I do 9 hours a day straight in the blairing sun either out in the feild or in a boiling shed..either way...salt salt salt..

#6 negativecamber

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

my working environment is building houses, digging under houses, tiling in bathrooms etc etc, everything. i have been working an avergae of 13.5 hour days of late.

#7 negativecamber

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

i just havent had it happen ever. i saw it once on a big dude while playing lots of golf in thailand but its never happened to me. i was hoping it wasnt like signs of kidney failure etc.

#8 Blazn' 180

• Car:JDM s15

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

hahaha no, no kidney failure. the reason ya get the salty residue, is because sweating is obviously fluids being pushed outa your body to help you cool and theres alot of salts in sweat.

as you get quite dehydrated and there is nearly no more fluids in your body to sweat out, the sweat that was on your skin (and especially in hot weather) begins to dry and leave that salty residue.

so basically if your working that hard that this happens, you should be rehydrating more.

#9 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

MOAR beer scotty

Seriously, don't worry about it, it's normal.

#10 negativecamber

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:41 AM

thanks guys, i just found it odd thats all because i havent changed anything. i guess the humidity has been quite high of late which would make me sweat more.

and MOAR BEER for sure ghosty! we were going through a carton a night while doing some night work the other week lol.

#11 Ralph Wiggum

• Car:Peugeot 205 GTI S3

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Yeah AFAIK it is normal. Ran in the heat lastnight and then spent awhile stretching on the oval and I was brushing that dusty stuff off my forehead. I get this all the time when the sweat dries, although mostly on my face as opposed to arms etc.

#12 Stupified

• Car:VX SS

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

i get it when i play golf in really hot weather, i thought it was like fine grains of dirt though from being in the rough so much :lol:

#13 rice_cake

• Car:r33gtst

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

lol yeah i have this problem to working in the sun all day... just keep drinking fluids i guess... on a side note do u guys know if we need to replace the salt we're losing or is the one in our food enough?

#14 negativecamber

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

View Postrice_cake, on 15 December 2009 - 03:59 PM, said:

lol yeah i have this problem to working in the sun all day... just keep drinking fluids i guess... on a side note do u guys know if we need to replace the salt we're losing or is the one in our food enough?

i'm no health expert mate but if you're losing that much salt like i am, i'd be drinking sports drinks to rehydrate. they have a higher sodium content to replace the salts. i drink them anyway cause they taste nice and are always 2 for $5.

i understand keeping hydrated is a big deal at least, i just wasnt sure why all of a sudden i was salty when nothing has changed.

#15 Bluey

• Car:VW Polo GTi

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

all you need.

Follow it up with

#16 negativecamber

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

wow that was fantastic :rolleyes:

#17 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Fkn LAUGH OUT LOUD @ POWERTHIRST RE-DOMINATION :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#18 Stupified

• Car:VX SS

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:52 AM

i fkn love powerthirst

"YOU'LL FEEL LIKE A FIGHTER PLANE MADE OF BICEPS!!!!"

:lol:

#19 Bluey

• Car:VW Polo GTi

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:01 AM

MORE LYTES THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!