It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

Porsche Maintenance Costs 

38 replies to this topic

#1 alphabeatsco

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

does anyone here know or have a porsche.
looking into buying a boxster, but dunno the parts costs.
i've asked around, minor service generally costs 500ish.
not sure about other costs...pls share experiences.

#2 phunky_monkey

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:34 AM

Not cheap to maintain that's for sure.

A friend has one, and replacement swaybars can be over $1k each, and pads are up around the $600 mark due to the size of the calipers.

It's not so much the regular servicing costs that can be a killer, it's more the cost of major issues that may arise. I'd also look into the cost of major services due to the engine location... may be quite procey.

Having said that though it's an awesome car, and I'd have one in an instant. Fantastic on the track too.

#3 alphabeatsco

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

i've asked the porsche workshops...they around 500 for minor and 1000 for major.
but like u said, im scared about the expense parts.
is there any work arounds? like order overseas? or aftermarket parts?
do they fail all the time? i dun mind paying 1000 every 6 month or so.
but not like 1000 every 2nd month.

#4 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

My mate has a 944. Beautiful car, but yep the parts are expensive.

It might have more to do with the age of his car but just the rear hatch works out to be around 10k, so he lives in fear of junkies. He just replaced the clutch master cylinder and that was $200, which is kinda reasonable.

#5 kriss

• Car:A31 - CHEV

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

If you were on the phone with Porsche why didn't u ask them all these questions

#6 bucketsofbullets

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:11 AM

my boss owns a boxster, he had the brakes serviced, cost him $4k+.

#7 alphabeatsco

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

i did ask porsche.
but those are unreasonable prices.
as we all know, factory prices are much higher.
factory quoted me 1k for minor service
and other workshops was 500.

#8 phunky_monkey

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:22 PM

View PostSpazo, on 18 November 2009 - 10:53 AM, said:

My mate has a 944. Beautiful car, but yep the parts are expensive.

It might have more to do with the age of his car but just the rear hatch works out to be around 10k, so he lives in fear of junkies. He just replaced the clutch master cylinder and that was $200, which is kinda reasonable.

You're right about the hatch. The aforementioned Boxster owner had a 944 before this and I recall him telling me there was some ridiculous price for the rear glass.

They're generally reliable cars, which is good ebcause everyone charges a 'Porsche Tax' on parts for them. It's not going to be a cheap car to keep in top condition, so if you can't afford the maintenance then you should avoid it.

#9 jake180

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

As the Monkey said, u will get charged Porsche tax on every service. They are well built but if u are worried about servicing a car then u are definatly looking in the wrong price range for a car. Look at something that is more within your budget not forgetting there are other things involved with buying the car the initial purchase price. Insurance is also a major one. In saying that, they are an extremely reliable car, i would definatly google up some maintainence issues of the model you are after and see how they fair. Good luck :D

#10 nuutz

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:12 AM

I dont think anyone would buy a boxter if they could afford a 911..at that, am i the only one here who thinks boxters are ugly, underpowered and gay? Definitely could find a nicer, cheaper car for that kind of price.

#11 nisskid

• Car:R32 4dr, C33 & A31

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:14 AM

if i was gonna pay porsche prices, id want porsche performance, ie. not a boxter.

#12 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:20 AM

View Postnisskid, on 20 November 2009 - 01:14 AM, said:

if i was gonna pay porsche prices, id want porsche performance, ie. not a boxter.
Agreed.

#13 Shark

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

why do you actually want a porsche? .. because its a nice expensive luxury car?

#14 n00bis

• Car:Evo X

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

Yeah these are the wrong kind of questions to be asking if you are serious about buying a Porsche... My old boy has a Cayman S, he gets it serviced with Porsche and they charge through the arse. Its the price you pay though, if you go to buy a Porsche you want to see a full service history with Porsche dealership. Just watch out though i believe there was a lot of problems with the boxters pre 03 and you sure as hell dont want to a car that will cost you more in repairs then the car did in the first place.

#15 nismoman

• Car:1992 Nissan S13 Silvia SR20DET

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

Do it. Buy it. Porsche Boxster are awesome value at the moment.
Nothing comes close for $30k.

#16 Pervy

• Car:S14a

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

View Postphunky_monkey, on 18 November 2009 - 10:34 AM, said:

Not cheap to maintain that's for sure.

A friend has one, and replacement swaybars can be over $1k each, and pads are up around the $600 mark due to the size of the calipers.

It's not so much the regular servicing costs that can be a killer, it's more the cost of major issues that may arise. I'd also look into the cost of major services due to the engine location... may be quite procey.

Having said that though it's an awesome car, and I'd have one in an instant. Fantastic on the track too.
That's not too bad really.
Chaser cusco swaybars go for around $1k as well.

#17 phunky_monkey

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

I think it's overpriced personally, and that was for second hand units :)

For all those saying Boxsters are gay, have you been in a prepped S before? They are seriously an awesome car despite their image. They handle so well it's ridiculous, and the power of an S is ample for a daily driver.

#18 Shark

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

View Postnismoman, on 20 November 2009 - 10:39 AM, said:

Nothing comes close performance wise?
Nothing comes close performance vs. luxury?
Nothing comes close with looks?

You can't make a blatent claim like that, because OVERALL, theres alot that comes close for 30k.

#19 volt_bite

• Car:180sx

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

i thought he was joking

#20 Turbo Piston

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

lol @ this thread, anyone here serious!

I'm waiting for someone to say buy an s15 for $20k and spend $10k on mods!

#21 bloodzkull

• Car:92 r32 gtr skyline. 85 single cab 4wd hulix (vn v6) and a 71 datsun 1600

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

View PostTurbo Piston, on 22 November 2009 - 08:02 PM, said:

for all out performance/luxury etc the s15 wouldn't come clost, straight enjoyment factor you'd be suprised though

#22 Shark

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

View PostTurbo Piston, on 22 November 2009 - 08:02 PM, said:

You cant tell half the time because the implied tone is hard to detect through text when grammer is at its best.
That's why we have italics lol

#23 n00bis

• Car:Evo X

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

Ive got a 350z and its currently for sale for around the same price as a Boxter... I would definitely say its comparable. Full Bose sound system, Leather seats, Electric everything, 6 cylinder engine (350 has considerable more power), cheaper general maintenance + mine is a track and has Brembo breaks and full Traction control. The only thing the Boxter has that maybe a lil better is the handling/suspension. Another big factor is for the price of my 03 350z with 55,000ks you buy a 99 Boxter with 150,000ks.

When you buy a Porsche you are buying a name there are easily comparable cars out there its just if you have the money why not buy a Porsche.

#24 MR 1JZ

• Car:Car + Turbo = skids

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

the next person who compares a second hand nissan to a mid or rear engined Porsche is getting banned

#25 JDM EVO

• Car:Evolution VI GSR

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

View Postn00bis, on 23 November 2009 - 10:18 AM, said:

Ive got a 350z and its currently for sale for around the same price as a Boxter... I would definitely say its comparable. Full Bose sound system, Leather seats, Electric everything, 6 cylinder engine (350 has considerable more power), cheaper general maintenance + mine is a track and has Brembo breaks and full Traction control. The only thing the Boxter has that maybe a lil better is the handling/suspension. Another big factor is for the price of my 03 350z with 55,000ks you buy a 99 Boxter with 150,000ks.

When you buy a Porsche you are buying a name there are easily comparable cars out there its just if you have the money why not buy a Porsche.

Mate, there are plenty of Boxsters on Carsales.com.au with only 60-80000km's on the clock for 35K. I am not a big fan of the Boxster, but i'd much prefer to have a Boxster in my garage than a 350Z.

#26 vr4nut

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

View PostMR 1JZ, on 23 November 2009 - 10:35 AM, said:

the next person who compares a second hand nissan to a mid or rear engined Porsche is getting banned
:lol:

i trust my mates' old man. he raced 911's for years on the track and just bought a boxster for a daily/once a year track day car. he wasn't racing enough to justify a 911 anymore, but can still pump out times quicker than most people in much more expensive cars.

#27 Butts_JZZ30

• Car:Toyota Soarer

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

I have been in a number of Porsches, Cayman S, Carrera, GT3, Boxster S at pace and the Boxster is definitely the baby of the lot. They are a fantastic car, they handle and stop superbly. The only thing I would say they lack is a bit of straight line performance. They aren't slow by any stretch of the imagination, they just aren't as fast as you would hope. I drive a MX5 regularly and my impression was that the Boxster is a bigger, faster, better version of an MX5. If you can handle the looks (which I can't) the Boxster is a great buy. Cayman is basically a Boxster with a roof and a few noticeable improvements here and there. I agree it is silly comparing cheap imports to a Porsche, but Jap imports can be a stack of fun to drive and come without the concerns that you get with a Porsche.

#28 bloodzkull

• Car:92 r32 gtr skyline. 85 single cab 4wd hulix (vn v6) and a 71 datsun 1600

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

to be honest for 30-35k i'd buy my old gtr back, put it on coilovers and some monster brakes, then pump out better times and have more fun then said boxtser.

failing winning lotto and not caring i'm not paying that much for the badge...

#29 MR 1JZ

• Car:Car + Turbo = skids

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

View Postbloodzkull, on 23 November 2009 - 04:32 PM, said:

to be honest for 30-35k i'd buy my old gtr back, put it on coilovers and some monster brakes, then pump out better times and have more fun then said boxtser.

failing winning lotto and not caring i'm not paying that much for the badge...

to be honest

no one cares if your GTR is faster than a porsche

my soarer is faster than your GTR and wouldnt cost you 30K to buy

people with 80's and 90's model datsuns seem to be the ones that never understand the concept of a european car and you are paying for a certain level of refinement and engineering you dont get from a stock japanese car

thats what you are paying for

a boxster is a girls car...yes this is true...

eventually caymans will hit the same pricing as boxsters though...thats when im jumping in

caymans are sweet as hell

#30 Flying180

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

:lol:

Maintenance on a Porsche will always be expensive, and i don't think you should go for the cheapest option either. I would think that for a porsche you're better off getting it maintained by people that regularly service Porsches.
As already mentioned, if you're worried about the cost of servicing you probably shouldn't get one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!