Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
My Custom S15 stealth, no hole intercooler set up. - Hardtuned.net

My Custom S15 stealth, no hole intercooler set up. 

62 replies to this topic

#1 CroS13

• Car:S15 GT Spec S

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Updates at bottom of this post!!

ok, so since i have been defected a few times in the past with 2 of my 3 old S13's, i decided i want my S15 to be as shmick as possible.

now with a ARC kit costing upwards of $1200, and the GKtech kit in limbo for over 8 months i decided to do my own no hole legal intercooler kit.

original kit is a Blitz CS kit picked up from just jap for $700.

now the quality of these kits are amazing, especially for the price, they come with everything needed, they even supply extesion for the battery leads to reach, and also new battery bracket.

however all i wanted was the cooler core... id have the pipes chopped up and my mate to fab up new pipe work.

anyway here it is:

Posted Image

rad support after mods and hit with new undercoat:

Posted Image

clearance to rad support:

Posted Image

then took it to my mate and told him to do as he wishes... this is what he came up with:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

now as for performance... there is a little bit of lagg, but thats compared to the standard intercooler, only other mods i have at the moment is a k&N pannel filter and a turbo back exhaust which is also a custom job.

all in all i am very happy with it, especially since the engine bay looks stock still... the cooler joins to the standard sidemount pipes.... does flutter quite abit more now even with the standard blow off valve.

still need to screw the bar back on but you get the idea

Posted Image

UPDATE

for everyone asking for engine bay shots:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

UPDATE 16/8/10

alot of people were telling me to paint the intercooler black for that extra stealth look.

finally got around to doing something about it, what i did was paint the intercooler end tanks black, and put some black mesh infront of the cooler fixed to the edge of the bar. this is the result.

Posted Image

things to do:

1. get one of those air diverter plates to go from the front bar to the radiator, and paint it grey.
2. re fit the airbox snorkle.

#2 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

gotta love it :D
i did a similar thing with my old s13, no way near as nice as that though

#3 i want a silvia

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

Very nicely done CroS13, I like your style (+repz for the undercoat and rubber coating on the reo...but we don't have the rep system anymore :( )

#4 alex86

• Car:BA Falcon Boat

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

+ coat of black to intercooler and will be full stealth, and the cutting of the rio bar (even though it's neat) kinda defeats the purpose as its still a little obvious if you get a cop who knows a little bit, but i'm currently considering a turnflow job on my s13, wish there was more room below throttle on drives side :no:

#5 180 type X

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:24 PM

nice welding

+1 for doing it for yourself

#6 Curmi

• Car:r32 daily

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

well done that's some really good work...

#7 alex86

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

and what is this? temporary i hope

:edit, tried to post an awesome self illustrated paint pic :) but ns being gay, im reffering to the black strap around the hot and cold pipes on passenger side

#8 JPZ200

• Car:S15

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:07 PM

Since with all these defects, I wonder how come no one has started to make more parts more stealth, as in this cooler and piping as a kit, already black powder coated.

Maybe a company that does work on your car that will make it stealth but with the same power?

#9 chris268

• Car:S15 200SX Spec R

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:08 AM

good job! have you got any pics of the engine bay with the fmic installed?

#10 OLDATO

• Car:Datsun Stanza, 180sx SR20DET, Datsun Stanza Coupe

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:20 AM

Engine bay pics ??

#11 ST41NS

• Car:99' S15 SpecR JDM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:46 AM

Very impresive work there buddy... :thumbsup:

Stealth is the way to go. Matt black pipes will finish the job.

#12 S14 200

• Car:200sx S14a

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

awesome job man.
+ repz for you

and +1 for engine bay pics

#13 Kane_R32

• Car:S14 200SX

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

very neat install!

#14 toshin

• Car:jdm s15

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

Thats heaps impressive dude.

I was very close to getting the blitz kit due to gktechs taking so long as well.
however, I didn't have an elite welder mate

#15 (OO)SKYLINE(OO)

• Car:R32 GTR, AE71 Rolla

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

Nice, neat and a tight fit too!

Looks perfect. :thumbsup:

#16 Hawker180

• Car:180sx + Landcruiser

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:51 AM

In reference to long intercooler piping makes lag/responce issues, my tuner had abit of spare time and rigged up on a turbo car an intercooler setup with 10 meters of intercooler piping and tested it on the dyno. He said the results were that it made piss all difference in lag\responce.

Sweet job with your setup

#17 kriss

• Car:A31 - CHEV

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

Awesome job mate so neat, askng as u Keep airbox it's all legal to

#18 evade

• Car:Nissan

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

was there much that needed to be shaved of the rio bar?

#19 montgomery

• Car:S14a

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

That came up really nice.

How bloody tempting is it to just use the traditional route for the piping though!!!!

#20 CroS13

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

View Postevade, on 11 November 2009 - 02:17 PM, said:

was there much that needed to be shaved of the rio bar?

maybe all up the 2 high spots on both edges. which was perhaps 1cm.. but only shaved off the ends, the middle is not touched.

View Postmontgomery, on 11 November 2009 - 04:26 PM, said:

How bloody tempting is it to just use the traditional route for the piping though!!!!

never... like i said, ive had 3 S13's... and 2 of them have had the hole hacked out of it... i purchaced my S15 stock as a rock, i want my car to have the ability to be returned to complete standard if needed.

View PostOLDATO, on 11 November 2009 - 07:20 AM, said:

Engine bay pics ??

updates at top of page

#21 bucketsofbullets

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:43 PM

Nice and neat. Paint it black for the stealth look.

#22 Shakey Bones

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

Dude nice work, really nice work.

But I don't understand one thing,

If you were prepared to do so much work, why didn't you just get a smaller battery (like you would have to for the blitz piping) removed the large battery tray, fabricate and paint a smaller battery tray that doesn't need to be cut. And install the intercooler the way it was supposed to from blitz.

While what you have done is good looking you said it yourself it is laggy. Fabricating a smaller battery tray would have been cheaper, street legal for anyone looking at it and provide no extra lag.

I suppose heinstight is a wonderful thing.

#23 alex86

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:32 PM

its so hard to get a definitive answer on cutting anything at all legally to fit anything in your car, here in qld anyway, have called dept. of trans and spoke to "head guy/dude" at mods section and was told absolutely nothing allowed to be cut, so whether or not u have a smaller battery tray is irrelevant because you still need to cut under it, its ridiculous though really, some people have mod plates and qld trans say they've never approved one for a fmic, such a load of bs floating around, what are you to do?

#24 Shakey Bones

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

View Postalex86, on 11 November 2009 - 08:32 PM, said:

its so hard to get a definitive answer on cutting anything at all legally to fit anything in your car, here in qld anyway, have called dept. of trans and spoke to "head guy/dude" at mods section and was told absolutely nothing allowed to be cut, so whether or not u have a smaller battery tray is irrelevant because you still need to cut under it, its ridiculous though really, some people have mod plates and qld trans say they've never approved one for a fmic, such a load of bs floating around, what are you to do?

Yeah sure but if you remove the large battery tray all together and fabricate a replica only smaller that doesn't get in the way of the piping, fit a smaller battery, paint it and attach it securly I can't see how anyone would ever pick up on it being modified.

It wouldn't take long or much material. And unless someone stood there with a detailed picture of a stock Silvia/200sx engine bay they would never know. You would just see an uncut battery tray being fully utilised and some intercooler piping running down infront of the radiator.

Provided you didn't cut the reo bar and the fron bar was trimmed cleanly I can't see how it could ever cause a problem.

#25 CroS13

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

View PostShaky Bones, on 11 November 2009 - 07:17 PM, said:

Dude nice work, really nice work.

But I don't understand one thing,

If you were prepared to do so much work, why didn't you just get a smaller battery (like you would have to for the blitz piping) removed the large battery tray, fabricate and paint a smaller battery tray that doesn't need to be cut. And install the intercooler the way it was supposed to from blitz.

While what you have done is good looking you said it yourself it is laggy. Fabricating a smaller battery tray would have been cheaper, street legal for anyone looking at it and provide no extra lag.

I suppose heinstight is a wonderful thing.

trust me... i thought of that option... i also considered removing the battery tray all together and doing a boot relocation for my battery, i was scratching my head on what to do for atleast a month.. not knowing what way to go.

i canned the battery relocation idea because it would be too much hassle for me to do.. im a mechanic.. and i hate working on my car, so the thought of drilling holes to mount battery boxes, running wires either in the car or underneath along the chassis rails, re wire the lot, no thanks, not to mention that id probably still get defected because no engineers for the relocated battery.

also, i tossed up to drill out and re spot weld a smaller battery tray in, but then id need to f**k around getting new leads, new brackets, a new battery.

the way i see it with what i did is that the car can be returned to complete factory condition. i trimmed maybe half a cm from the bottom of the bar, and like i said, only 1cm or so from the front reo... but i smoothed it out and hit it with primmer, apart from still looking stock, no one is going to ask me to remove my bar and reo to inspect it for modifications.

this way was the way to go with the least structual mucking around as possible. and + all i had to do was fit the cooler and take it to my mate, so less hassle for me... and +1 for looking stock...in the future ill be looking to run around the 200kw mark on the stock turbo and the engine bay will look completely factory. im not even planning to run a hand controller with whatever ECU i get, just install it behind the kick pannel, let the tuner do his thing and be done with it.

this is my daily driver after all... needs to be "stock" i dont want any more hassles...

as for painting the cooler black, i wont do that, but im planning on getting that mesh that the evo's and XR6 turbo's have aand chucking some of that infront of the cooler in the bar :thumbsup:

#26 Nav2k

• Car:RX7

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

looks pretty awesome n props for the custom work...
but i guess for the sake of $200 with a proven engineered solution vs a bit of a guess i dunno if i would have gone through with it
but it does look well planned out n came out good.

#27 alex86

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

View PostShaky Bones, on 11 November 2009 - 09:50 PM, said:

View Postalex86, on 11 November 2009 - 08:32 PM, said:

Yeah sure but if you remove the large battery tray all together and fabricate a replica only smaller that doesn't get in the way of the piping, fit a smaller battery, paint it and attach it securly I can't see how anyone would ever pick up on it being modified.

It wouldn't take long or much material. And unless someone stood there with a detailed picture of a stock Silvia/200sx engine bay they would never know. You would just see an uncut battery tray being fully utilised and some intercooler piping running down infront of the radiator.

Provided you didn't cut the reo bar and the fron bar was trimmed cleanly I can't see how it could ever cause a problem.

i understand exactly what you're saying and agree that you should be able to think like that and be correct, but in my town, i have previously been defected and sent to dept. of transport for my.... *drumroll*........ STANDARD INTERCOOLER HOLE on the passenger side there, completely untouched, exactly as it came from nissan in 1991 and i got canaried, time off work, $100 to book inspection at dept. and when all came up good, was not able to enquire about reclaiming money for lost work or appointment, what a wonderful world we live in

#28 viscous180

• Car:180sx

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

really good work .. its great seeing things like this ..

#29 timtams

• Car:XT forester

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

Looks awesome but paint the cooler black too

#30 Tidge

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

Coming from a Factory side-mount intercooler, to a FMIC like that one, how much of a difference in power have you noticed? Do you suppose the off-boost economy has changed at all?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!