276 replies to this topic

#241 Marko

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

if they wont let him crank it right up to 11 then he can use an attenuator

#242 TheApothecary

• Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

ENGL 5150 or Marshall JCM800.

The only way to go, along with EMG 85-89 or Seymour jazz & super distortion.

Fingerstyle stuff bores me silly now (that acoustic tappy shit) Andy Salvanos (an Adelaide busker) does it the best anyway on a Chapman stick not to mention he'll tell you anything you want to know.

#243 MILK-13

• Car:S13 Project

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

We just got one of the new evh (fender) 5150 50 compact heads in at work. I gotta say, best value head for metal tones I've heard. Has a great dynamic clean channel too! $1495 rrp :o

I just bought a fulltone OCD for $120...stoked! Just want a liquid sunshine and t Rex reptile and I'm totally sorted for stomp boxes :)

Edited by MILK-13, 24 February 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#244 Bennybear

• Car:BMW

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

^ check out toy mods pedals, guy from NSW that essentially clones boutique pedals. Cheap and great quality

#245 Pervy

• Car:S14a

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostPervy, on 28 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

G3 2012 Tour.

Posted Image
http://www.satriani.com/G3/

I'm buying a ticket for my dad and myself.

Anyone end up going to this? I went to the Adelaide show last night.
Lukather was pretty good and didn't mind his stuff.
Vai and Satriani were amazing. Definitely one of the best live performances I've seen. Pretty good setlists, so happy Vai played For The Love Of God and Building The Church.

#246 TheApothecary

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

eh, if you like guitar shit pervy hit up the "underground" spanish/classical that's around Adelaide, there are some world class acts here!

#247 Bennybear

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostPervy, on 04 April 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

View PostPervy, on 28 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

G3 2012 Tour.

Posted Image
http://www.satriani.com/G3/

I'm buying a ticket for my dad and myself.

Anyone end up going to this? I went to the Adelaide show last night.
Lukather was pretty good and didn't mind his stuff.
Vai and Satriani were amazing. Definitely one of the best live performances I've seen. Pretty good setlists, so happy Vai played For The Love Of God and Building The Church.

Vai is a god, I've never seen a bad performance

#248 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

I just discovered Wayne Krantz. Loving his style!

Edited by Spazo, 22 April 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#249 Spazo

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Go to this:

Attached Image: news-otvoz2012.jpg

#250 Bennybear

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

This is so very close to done; after 8 months of sawdust, I cannot wait to plug it in and hit the first chord.

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: Hastings_Les_Paul.jpg

#251 fiend.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

That looks edible...

I never knew about this thread. I <3 guitars!

My babies:

Attached Image: 185877_10150103999301121_1593258_n.jpg

Attached Image: 181583_10150103999446121_8043746_n.jpg

Attached Image: 181998_10150103999166121_5574574_n.jpg

Attached Image: 185658_10150103999371121_7143937_n.jpg

Attached Image: 183106_10150103999191121_6075029_n.jpg

ps. I don't take good photos

Edited by fiend., 07 July 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#252 MILK-13

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostBennybear, on 07 July 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

This is so very close to done; after 8 months of sawdust, I cannot wait to plug it in and hit the first chord.
Looks amazeballs. Is that the one you've been making?
I just bought a modern player thinline deluxe tele. P90s rock. Best piece of shit cheap guitar I've ever played!

Anyone heard Valvetone amps? I'm gonna pick up one of his 15watt el84 powered heads. Im in love. Sooo cheap for world class point to point valvey goodness.

Edited by MILK-13, 10 July 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#253 Spazo

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

#254 macaroni

• Car:S13

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

View Postfiend., on 07 July 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Schecter fan I see, I had a Hellraiser FR but couldn't get used to the fat neck, they'd be the best value for money guitars if they sort out the neck issue.

#255 Spazo

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

My friend lent me an accoustic and I've been mucking around with it for an hour or so these last few nights. I've decided I wanna learn to sing + play, will teach myself. I know all the theory from my piano days so I reckon I can do it. Anyone got any ideas on easy songs to sing and play?

I kinda got black by pearl jam down, very basic approach.. Also tried Gary Moore - still got the blues but my hands are too spastic and I can only manage power chords for most bars.

#256 Bennybear

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Still got the blues is one of those tracks that can be learnt in a day but take years to master. Lots of subtle bends etc.

Try learning open chords, will train your fingers/wrist. Major chords will always be easiest, followed by minor and then progress to the weird formations.

Time flies by Porcupine Tree would be a good one for you.

#257 TheApothecary

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostSpazo, on 19 July 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

My friend lent me an accoustic and I've been mucking around with it for an hour or so these last few nights. I've decided I wanna learn to sing + play, will teach myself. I know all the theory from my piano days so I reckon I can do it. Anyone got any ideas on easy songs to sing and play?

I kinda got black by pearl jam down, very basic approach.. Also tried Gary Moore - still got the blues but my hands are too spastic and I can only manage power chords for most bars.

Beg/Steal/Borrow/Buy Guitar Pro 5 or 6 then hit up www.ultimate-guitar.com to get "tabs" for all your favourite songs, having a musical background will help a fair bit, but theory is less important for guitar (we're talking mad shredding not Beethoven/Mozart/Chopin/Liszt/Rachmaniinoff worship - name dropping for ub3r wank)

As for tips, don't get put off by 'ULTIMATE GUITAR GOD(s)" on youtube, they've practiced at least 8 hours a day since they were 12 (same as malmsteen/petrucci/vai/satriani/etc)

Lead is the killer part in terms of playing, rhythm is usually a good place to start - some old metallica/megadeth will get you chugging along - blues format structures and shit so it'll get you sorted for most things.

Guitar is also viewed very incorrectly, both hands are equally important, note hand and picking hand have to be equally fast and equally co-ordinated if you're going to be good - just like piano - it takes many years and heaps of practice to get there.

I guess it all also depends what you want to achieve with your playing as well.

OH, everything being in tune is super megaf**king important or it'll all sound wrong - but you should know that anyway. Sure traditionally it should be to concert pitch but guitar is cool because there's so much more you can squeeze out of it, most professionals will tune to what they think is right as temperature/humidity/acoustics all effect the outcome so that little tuner is right but it's not quite right enough...

Yeah shit I could go on about this for hours.

Will sound shit on an acoustic but good practice. As for acoustic vs electric, same technique, if your strings are top quality it wont matter how "hard" your fingers are...

PM me if you want anything else explained.

#258 Spazo

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

I didn't know you were a player. I've also got someone's electric sitting at mine too but I understand the accoustic is better to learn on so I haven't picked it up.

I listened to enough metallica in yr 7-8 that I pretty much know the guitar parts note for note, it's just a matter of teaching my fingers, so I might try my hand at a few of those to start. Sounds a bit silly I know but just because I stopped playing piano didn't stop me from thinking that way. Even to this day when I listen to a song I imagine how it would be played on the piano, the intervals, the chords etc. Transposing it to guitar is the challenge.

I'm blown away how the mechanics/ergonomics dictate the music you play on a guitar. Piano is just logical whereas guitar is very physical. I've worked out a few intro's to famous songs e.g stairway to heaven, the unforgiven and most of the notes are within the first few frets of each string if not open. Not trying to say it's easy 'cos it's f**kin hard but it's funny that so many ideas can come from simple use of the guitar layout.

I've got guitar pro too, thanks, I'll check out www.ultimate-guitar.com

Edited by Spazo, 21 July 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#259 TheApothecary

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

As for learning, I honestly don't think it matters if you start on acoustic or electric, depends what sound your going for and honestly electrics only sound good through $$$$$$$ equipment (pah!).

Yeah, there isn't much logic, the best guitar players are gypsies who don't know any theory and just improvise everything, ridiculously incredible players (Florian Reemus from Adelaide springs to mind).

Also Dynamic can be created from either your left hand and your right hand, again, balance through technique through practice - takes time. Even your right hand wrist position is pretty important.

In terms of structure most guitar pieces are pretty simple but physically yeah, something different, especially where you don't expect to have your fingers stretch so much (try 1st fret then 5th fret just using your left index then pinky finger, maybe easy but then try doing it up and down the neck - RSI in about 5 seconds). The same thing along this line is that it might feel "right" to do what you think is correct in terms of finger positions but most of the time you'll be flat out wrong creating an awful technique that will just keep you slow as shit later on (see people who don't alternate pick).

Finger picking... well shit son, you're just gonna make life harder.

I'll see if I can whip you up a few exercises on Guitar Pro.

#260 Bennybear

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Finally finished the Les Paul - is a real player and definitely a keeper! 8 months in the making.

Strat & PRS feeling a little neglected in the background :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: 072.JPG
  • Attached Image: 129.JPG

#261 macaroni

• Car:S13

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

^Hows the blackstar? I'm thinking of going back to an all tube but it's either out of my budget or way too big for playing at home.

#262 Bennybear

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Came across it by accident

I was in a local music store to play a second hand strat they had in and the guy plugged me in to the little 1watt Blackstar head & a 4x12... pretty impressive but it was single channel so I plugged in the one I have now and bought it about 20 minutes later. At the time I had an Egnater Rebel 20 head+cab and an old Soldano astroverb combo - sold them both shortly after and don't regret it.

I play blues/rock, gets a really nice break up at bedroom levels. Had it at a friends place on the weekend who is an out-and-out shredder and he loved it, more than enough gain available (I usually set gain to about 1, maybe 2 for a Joe Bonamassa/Eric Johnson/Yngwie Malmsteen drive sound. 5ish is heavy Slash territory/Iron Maiden and anything above 7 is metal).

Retails for about $700 but you should be able to pick one up for mid $500s; make sure you get the HT-5'R' as it has reverb and a 12" speaker compared to no-verb and a 10" in the standard HT-5.

#263 Stig Mick

• Car:shit box

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Speaking of little amps, my mate bought the Hughes and kettner 18 watt tubemeister as a practice amp so he doesn't have to lug his dual recto to band practice, man that little thing rips 2 channels and a lead boost more than loud enough when going through a quad box, and at only $800 it's alot cheaper than the mini recto, I'm considering buying one myself

#264 Stig Mick

• Car:shit box

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postmacaroni, on 29 July 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

^Hows the blackstar? I'm thinking of going back to an all tube but it's either out of my budget or way too big for playing at home.
try the Hughes and kettner tubemeister 18 watt, has 3 options 18watt 5watt and 1 watt which is still pretty loud

#265 MILK-13

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

I chucked up a cover of one of my fav songs 'ain't it fun', (which is a cover as well) on soundcloud. Pretty happy with the guitar tone, it's a $350 valvetone 10w head, straight in with a Shure 57. Excuse my shitty drumming and vox lol. Been back into it a fair bit lately, after blowing my tax cheque on some more gear to record with.

http://m.soundcloud....uns-n-roses-the

#266 marduke

• Car:'89 180SX RB20DET

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Just found this thread, thought I'd pop in. :) My current rig cosists of
Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci 6string with piezo pickups
Epiphone LesPaul custom in arctic white with dimarzio d-sonic in the bridge tuned to C
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo
Vox Tonelab SE for effects
Epiphone Masterbilt (yes it is spelt correctly haha) RF 500 RCCE NS
Fishman Loudbox mini acoustic amp

And some gear I used to own which I regret letting go of
Ernie Ball Music Man Axis supersport with p90's
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special 2006LE
Ernie Ball Music Man JP6 (no piezo)
Gibson SG
Fender Strat
Mesa Boogie Triaxis and 20/20 poweramp
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Mesa Boogie F-50

Will get some pics up soon, but that gives you an idea of how my pursuit for tone has gone down.. haha

Edited by marduke, 27 September 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#267 TheApothecary

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

Not enough Marshal JCM800. Simple as f**k, makes killer tones. What more could a man want.

#268 marduke

• Car:'89 180SX RB20DET

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Not a fan of Marshall tone, the tone on the mark V is exactly what I had in my head, took some fine tuning, but I got there. Plus the cleans on the mark V are pure bliss, there is no amp I've tried that has anything close (besides a mesa lonestar). Although the peavey JSX head came very close to being my main amp.

#269 BADMENTON

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Selling a mesa roadster head and 4X12 cab at the moment. PM for details if you might be keen.
Also selling one ESP Eclipse II in Amber Cherry Sunburst and a TC Electronic G System Limited and accessories.

Rig consolidation time...

#270 Pervy

• Car:S14a

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Per Nilsson from Scar Symmetry has an instructional dvd coming out.

Posted Image

Have you preordered your copy of SCAR GUITAR yet? It's Per Nilsson's first instructional guitar DVD - more than two hours of:

- lessons (tapping, sweeping, scales, chords, all the good stuff)
- performances (Holographic Universe! The Anomaly! Noumenon and Phenomenon!)
- in-depth interviews
- bonus material (behind the scenes footage, jam sessions and the mandatory blooper reel!)

The accompanying booklet is 50 pages full of thorough transcriptions of the songs and exercises!

It's only $25 + shipping, and all pre-orders receive $15 off an online lesson with Per himself!

http://www.guitarmes...ore/scarguitar/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!