It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

- - - - -

Harvey Norman's Interest Free Offers 

52 replies to this topic

#1 s14™

• Car:180sx Type X

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a LCD TV, was originally looking at only spending around $800 but there isn't really much too choose from. So decided I might look into Harvey Norman's 50 month interest free offer. Just wanted to know who has purchase something from Harvey Norman through this process. Your experiences? Pros and Cons?

I was there yesterday and chatting to one of the sales guys and he says there is a 10% deposit and there are some account and establishment fees, but they are not outrageous or anything. Other than that, you have a minimum monthly repayment (which if you stick to till the end of the 50 months will not pay out the total figure) and that's about it. Pay it out before the 4 year period and you're a free man. But yeah, just wanted to ask around before I commit. Looking at going back in Sunday and putting pen to paper.

#2 Flying180

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

There's been a similar topic before.

Edit: Check here: http://www.hardtuned.net/forums/index.php?...l=harvey+norman

:thumbsup:

#3 Softy

Nothing wrong with them as long as its payed off in the time frame..

If not they charge you something stupid like 30% on the outstanding amount

#4 gooch

I took an 18 month inerest free one out a while ago. Paid 20% deposit and then paid all the monthly payments for about 6 months then did the calculations and realised that it wouldn't pay it out after 18 months so I ended up just paying it out by the end of 12 months. They charge you $2.50 per month account keeping fee too. Also, half way through the time I had mine they introduced a 50c fee for paying with bpay but there was no real other viable option to pay with. They try and sting you every where. When I made my last payment, I had to add an extra 50c on just to cover that fee. Best thing I ever did was pay it off and call them up and close my account.

#5 cush³

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

*looks at the us stock market*

#6 elmrc13b

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

you already have $800 .... you don't really need to save up much more so just pay it out right and save yourself the trouble imo

#7 random.chu

pigeon pilot, flutter fiend and the doctor of dose =]

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Car:180sx SR20DET

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

just get your 800 in crisp nice looking bills, and walk in to the store. if you're paying cash, you can get everything cheaper.

as for interest free... no such thing.

#8 elmrc13b

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

Besides Harvey norman are a f**kin rip off interest free *cough bullshit* or not.

I got my 42" inch LCD direct from the factory wholesaler. CUT THE MIDDLE MAN!

$1300 for a $2500 TV FTW! lol just cause there was a small hardly noticeable scratch on the back they cant sell it as new :)

look into it man

#9 s14™

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

View Postteska, on Sep 25 2008, 02:15 PM, said:

Besides Harvey norman are a f**kin rip off interest free *cough bullshit* or not.

$1300 for a $2500 TV FTW! lol just cause there was a small hardly noticeable scratch on the back they cant sell it as new :)

look into it man

Where did you purchase yours from? If you could forward me details that would be great.

I was originally looking at getting a 32inch LCD for about $800 but after looking around, I figured why not get something a bit bigger and better. So I kind of have my heart set on a 47inch LG at this stage, it retails at Harvey Norman for $2799 but the guy reckons he could do it for $2500.

If I leave $800 deposit, I'm confident I can pay out the remaining balance within 6 months as I have no loans to pay.

#10 Hawker180

• Car:180sx + Landcruiser

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

^^if you think you can pay it off in 6 months then go for it, it wont cost you much to go for interest free, read the other thread!

#11 180_delight

• Car:swift gti, 910 bluebird

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

View Posts14™, on Sep 25 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

look into it man

Where did you purchase yours from? If you could forward me details that would be great.

I was originally looking at getting a 32inch LCD for about $800 but after looking around, I figured why not get something a bit bigger and better. So I kind of have my heart set on a 47inch LG at this stage, it retails at Harvey Norman for $2799 but the guy reckons he could do it for $2500.

If I leave $800 deposit, I'm confident I can pay out the remaining balance within 6 months as I have no loans to pay.
listen, this is what you wanna do. Save up the coin but settle for a 42" LCD. There is an LG model out atm and it hasnt got all the wanky 1080p and 100hz technology but it is nice crisp LCD. I bought mine from harvey norman up here in townsville for $1300 after some arm twisting but the rrp was only $1500. I dont have the model number or anything but i might go look it up later. Im over the moon with it and i though i was going to need to spend 2k + to get what i wanted. Thats the hot tip!

#12 Reeeen

• Car:S15 (JDM)

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

I've done this b4 twice now and it's awesome as long at you pay it off on time...

#13 spudnic

• Car:R32 GTR

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:33 AM

I ahve also had this plan, shat me hardcore! first the dudes in the shop where useless abou the contracts, then the place rings me up to tell me i signed up for something i ahd no idea of, so i paid it off in 2 months and closed my account, love the operator when they say "you sure you want to cancel your card? we can offer you more money" pfft f**k off.

#14 s14™

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:49 AM

View Post180_delight, on Sep 25 2008, 06:14 PM, said:

View Posts14™, on Sep 25 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

look into it man

listen, this is what you wanna do. Save up the coin but settle for a 42" LCD. There is an LG model out atm and it hasnt got all the wanky 1080p and 100hz technology but it is nice crisp LCD. I bought mine from harvey norman up here in townsville for $1300 after some arm twisting but the rrp was only $1500. I dont have the model number or anything but i might go look it up later. Im over the moon with it and i though i was going to need to spend 2k + to get what i wanted. Thats the hot tip!

1080p is my only option, it's the only reason I'm forking out the extra cash for a new TV. It will be for playing my PS3, watching Blu Rays and hooking up my PC via DVI/HDMI. I've pretty much decided I will go in this Sunday to sign off, looking at getting this TV. Anyone got one or heard much about them?

http://au.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv..._42lg60fd.jhtml

#15 marioman

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

I remember there was another thread in which people were talking about TV, i think it might have been a sony bravia thread, but i remember the jist of it was. Dont buy LG, they are cheap china brand. Buy panasonic made in Japan, and another brand that is made in japan that i cant remember :)

im sure somebody will add it in a few posts.

#16 HomeDawwg

• Car:Jzs147 Aristo

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

The problem with the interest free purchases, is you basically lose your bargaining power. When you are paying straight out with cash, you will get a much better deal on your tv!

I know a girl that works at harvey norman, and she said that LG's have the worst failure rate of any electronic stuff compared to anything else they sell. They are forever replacing LG products for customers (she mentioned tv's and their dvd players are the worst). So DONT BUY LG TV's!!!!!!!

#17 tootool

• Car:2006 Navara 4x4

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

Save up a bit more cash then go to a place like The Good Guys i went in there and priced up a 50inch tv and base model Yamaha Sound system( quality), Not a DVD player with speakers, and was going to cost me $2000 cash. my Gilfriens parents have the same Tv as the one i was looking at they paid $2500 at Harvey.

#18 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:14 AM

Get finance for a DEFERRED payment loan. I did mine this way.

basically, you have no interest for the duration of your loan, and no monthly payments to make - you pay as much as you want whenever you want.

I paid it off in 4 months, paid no interest, and only paid like $20 in fees all up.

I did it this way coz i couldnt save the money myself, and i would get the TV sooner. whenever I had a spare $500, I dumped it into the account.

just be careful because they will sometimes charge you a fee that keeps the account open at the end of the loan period which then gets you caught up with the interest for the whole value over the past 12 months or whatever. when you pay it out, close the account, cut up the credit card they give you and leave it at that.

#19 Gurglar

• Car:S15

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

Don't do any of that crap just save up abit more and go in and try and bargain with them I got my 32inch LCD for $1000 after it was marked down from $1500 to $1200 so got an extra $200 off a TV on sale and then got a hdmi cable marked down from $50 to $20 or $30 (can't remember) at the same time.

So just go in and ask them how much they can do it for and then say how much your willing to pay cash and see what happens.

#20 mz_S15

• Car:JDM S15 Spec R

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

I bought my Samsung LCD the other day from Harvey Norman on that 50 months interest free. Like you said, $25 establishment fee and its like $3.95 a month for the stupid GE Mastercard thing. I hate GE, but I'm setting up scheduled transfers on NetBank of $200 each pay, so will have my $1300 tv paid off in no time :D With interest free, the only thing you MUST do, is pay extra- cause like you said the minimum doesn't pay it off in time, and thats how they get at ya ;)

#21 HOOMY903

• Car:Mazda 3

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

I work for Harvey Norman, put it like this. The employees dont like doing interest free, coz it costs them too much money, coz they have to pay for interest free out of their commission. Interest free alrite, if you say you wanna buy interest free and then tell them what price they can do if you pay cash even if they gave you 15% off it would save them money. Also dont do the interest free ones, you gotta do interest deferred payment, so that way you dont have to pay every month otherwise you forget to pay 1 month, then you get hit with 29% interest, so f**k that. =D

#22 Drift-Stickers

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:18 PM

View Posts14™, on Sep 25 2008, 06:59 AM, said:

look into it man

Dude, your crazy.. put the same money away for 6 months by the tim eyou have that $2500 saved it will buy you a 60inch TV

All this shit is designed to get you to spend more and spend without putting much thought into it.. Trust me it will be sooo much more rewarding paying CASH for the full amount!!

Situations change, that debt can go from an easy repayment to a burden really fast

#23 Guest_Pures13_*

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

View PostSofty, on Sep 25 2008, 01:13 PM, said:

Nothing wrong with them as long as its payed off in the time frame..

If not they charge you something stupid like 30% on the outstanding amount

+1, thats the way to make money

#24 Curmi

• Car:r32 daily

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

i was thinking of th same thing buying a tv at harvey and paying it off...but wasnt quite sure on any other charges but seems cheap so prob will now

#25 WPN-X7

• Car:LS1 FC vert

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:50 AM

meh, i did something similar with my ps3 and old LG tv (32" LCD lg which i never had any troubles with)

i just set up my net banking to knock 200 off each fotnight, which payed it out before i knew it. rang up and canceled the card the day it was payed for....

only cost 60 bucks or so in account fees n shizzle in the end..

i dotn see a problem as long as you keep the payments up plus some,

#26 180_delight

• Car:swift gti, 910 bluebird

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

View PostHomeDawwg, on Sep 26 2008, 11:15 AM, said:

I know a girl that works at harvey norman, and she said that LG's have the worst failure rate of any electronic stuff compared to anything else they sell. They are forever replacing LG products for customers (she mentioned tv's and their dvd players are the worst). So DONT BUY LG TV's!!!!!!!
biggest load of horse semen ive read on here. LG make some damn good shit and i can vouch for that. I wouldnt worry with 1080p man cause soon enough there will be 1260p then that will be out dated in 6 months time also.

#27 SLY-031

• Car:Legnum VR-4

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

View Post180_delight, on Sep 30 2008, 06:17 PM, said:

View PostHomeDawwg, on Sep 26 2008, 11:15 AM, said:

biggest load of horse semen ive read on here. LG make some damn good shit and i can vouch for that. I wouldnt worry with 1080p man cause soon enough there will be 1260p then that will be out dated in 6 months time also.

Why would you fork out so much for a new TV for inferior picture quality? That doesn't make sense. And 1080p will be around for long enough to make the purchase count.

Get 1080i minimum these days. Anything else looks shit.

Bravia XBR series are rediculously awesome TV's, you pay for it though..

#28 AkEr

• Car:180sx Type x >:)

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

mate i wouldnt go anywhere near this thing because, just say u dont pay the pay for like 12 months and ur on a 18 month contract then decide to pay it all near the end. Yeah thats fine but u just payed for somethign that is so outdated compared to somethign that just came out. In other words technology moves to fast for money..

#29 SLY-031

• Car:Legnum VR-4

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

View PostAkEr, on Sep 30 2008, 06:28 PM, said:

mate i wouldnt go anywhere near this thing because, just say u dont pay the pay for like 12 months and ur on a 18 month contract then decide to pay it all near the end. Yeah thats fine but u just payed for somethign that is so outdated compared to somethign that just came out. In other words technology moves to fast for money..

So don't buy anything, ever, just watch it all go by...

rrriiiggghhhttt :huh:

#30 Bazelinez

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

Simple, if your good with money do it, if not stay away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!