Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Twitchy rear end? - Hardtuned.net

Twitchy rear end? 

10 replies to this topic

#1 manonastick

• Car:s13 Silvia Q

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:03 AM

Hey guys

I think i have a idea whats causing but would like to hear some opinions and reason why this may occurring to learn more. The car is 180sx with a s14 rear subframe and stock s13 suspension. Since putting the sub frame in the car drove fine for the first few times and I also got a temporary alignment at bridgestone cause car had a s14 front upright and had some really bad toe alignment so i can drive it without tyres screeching at 60km slight bend. Had plans to slap coilovers in when i had time but wanted to drive it before i put them in hence the alignment. Drove okay after that

Then one day when i was driving down the m4 i realized the rear was twitchy and felt like it wanted to move side to side going straight. I did look under the car to find one rear shock was leaking badly (@180k kms) guessing its probably blown and then it started pulling to right as well the following day and felt alittle bouncy as well.

Coilovers are now going in asap this week with a proper full alignment.

The question is does a bad shock contribute to hoping twitchy end cause the dampers lost it dampening ability? I had a civic which suffer the same problem but was not apparent at all at least not to this extent. My mechanic had also told me that with stock shocks and combination of the offset bushing and s14 subframe geometry would be out of wack til i put in coilovers to put it down to the correct geometry. The subframe was also modified to be mounted directly to the body to avoid bashing in the chassis as well with no shims.

Im getting it all done in the workshop this week but thought it will be interesting to see if im missing anything..

Thanks in advance

#2 Scotties15

• Car:S15 200sx

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

sounds about right.

fix one problem, test, repeat.

fucked shocks will never do you any favors .
neither will rooted bushes. replace them if you not already. 180000kms on stock bushes, they should be prety flogged out by now.

#3 manonastick

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

The subframe was off a kouki s14 and had only 100k kms on it the bushings were good but yeah, i figured only way to get it to drive well its just keep fixing and replacings bits haha

#4 Scotties15

• Car:S15 200sx

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

lol i still have stock subframe bushes on 180000 kms s15....

coilovers and polyurethane bushes all round will do wonders.

#5 Wizard

• Car:Moneypit

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

100k km's or not, they're still 20 year old bushes

Toe out on rear will make a car twitchy. Whoever aligned it should be able to tell you how its set up, if they can't, they're not worth the money. If you're in Sydney, Porter Performance is someone I'd see regarding alignments.

#6 manonastick

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

View PostWizard, on 12 April 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

Toe out on rear will make a car twitchy. Whoever aligned it should be able to tell you how its set up, if they can't, they're not worth the money. If you're in Sydney, Porter Performance is someone I'd see regarding alignments.

If thats the case you maybe right on the bushings, the car lost its rear alignment after i jacked up the front i think.. anyhow they my workshop are double checking my rear subframe to make sure theres no issues and i report back if i see any different with new coilovers and a alignment

View PostWizard, on 12 April 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

If thats the case you maybe right on the bushings, the car lost its rear alignment after i jacked up the front i think.. anyhow they my workshop are double checking my rear subframe to make sure theres no issues and i report back if i see any different with new coilovers and a alignment

#7 Brodie.Maher

• Car:S15

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:05 AM

Won't you already have solid conversion bushes to fit the s14 subframe in a 180sx?

#8 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostBrodie.Maher, on 13 April 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Won't you already have solid conversion bushes to fit the s14 subframe in a 180sx?

He said that he does, but there are still bushes in Toe/Traction/Camber/LCA arms, as well as the bushes in the hubs that could be worn. I can see where the mechanic is coming from regarding the stock suspension and the 10mm increased track each side. The rubber of the stock struts will be under tension, whereas the pillowball joint of an aftermarket coilover will not.

#9 liambrm

• Car:1993 180sx

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

subframe mounting bushes replace with the superpro ones

#10 Myles_SR20

• Car:S14

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

View Postpmod, on 13 April 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

View PostBrodie.Maher, on 13 April 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

He said that he does, but there are still bushes in Toe/Traction/Camber/LCA arms, as well as the bushes in the hubs that could be worn. I can see where the mechanic is coming from regarding the stock suspension and the 10mm increased track each side. The rubber of the stock struts will be under tension, whereas the pillowball joint of an aftermarket coilover will not.

If done properly though all the arms should have been loosened and re tightened in the neutral position to prevent any tension on the stock rubber bushings.

I would be jacking it up and checking for any play horizontal and vertical through the hub. There shouldnt be any movement. If not i would suspect problems with the rear toe...

#11 manonastick

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

Well i got a wheel alignment and that fixed most of the problem except somehow these my wheels got wallowed out...
Now i need figure something else out...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!