9 replies to this topic

#1 MITCH_21

• Car:2003 Nissan 350Z

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

Forced Induction 350z
Turbo and Supercharged

Has anyone on this forum got a single turbo,twin Turbo or SC 350z

Its something that i would really like to do to mine in the coming year
I have read on some US forums that they are Very un-reliable and its very easy to blow the VQ engines
But in the very next forum i read there are stories of ppl running TT or SC kits anywhere between 320whp and 400whp for years with no problems

If you have had a ST, TT or SC kit fitted in Australia and you are running a stockish engine i would like to know

What Kit you have installed?
What support mods you have?
Where you had the install done?
How much it cost?
What wHp or KW you are making with this set up?

Thanks Mitch

Edited by MITCH_21, 29 May 2010 - 02:42 PM.

#2 schift

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

I know of two guys on here that are FI. Check out their threads in the Members Rides section.

Kam80 is running a Vortech V3 supercharger @ around 260rwkw the last time I checked
http://www.350tuned....howtopic=291892
http://www.350z-tech...-hack-350z.html (very good build thread - SC install starts at about page 5)

...and...

Cain is running an APS TT kit @ 280rwkw (he may have actually sold the car though):
http://www.350tuned....6063&st=0&fcat=

I believe there is a load of info on my350z regarding FI, so I'd start there if you haven't already checked it out.

Oh yeah, and it's not cheap :D

#3 Kam80

• Car:Z33

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

Thanks Schift, in a nut shell...

I have read on some US forums that they are Very un-reliable and its very easy to blow the VQ engines
Americans blow things up. When FI kits for the VQ first came up they were bolting it on without retarding ignition timing or delivering more fuel. Then they wondered why the con-rods were going through the side of the block. Initial reliability is all down to your engine tune.

But in the very next forum i read there are stories of ppl running TT or SC kits anywhere between 320whp and 400whp for years with no problems
If you double your power, you will double your wear-rate, but that's assuming you're actually using that power. If you FI your car and cruise around in it, only occassionally boosting it, it should last ages. If you take it to the track every month, just like any FI engine, it will probably blow up sooner rather than later. A well set-up NA engine that has been FI'd and looked after should have a long happy life. From what I can gather, the weakest link in the VQ engine is the aforementioned con-rod.

What Kit you have installed - Vortech V3 Tuner Kit
What support mods you have - E-Manage Ultimate with MAP sensor, Nismo 480CC injectors x 6, Walbro 255lt/hr fuel pump, plenum spacer, tomei tuned length exhaust manifold, X-foce high flow cats, custom Y-pipe, Fujitsubo exhaust, HKS Type-R oil cooler, Koyo 36mm radiator, Billion 68-degree thermostat, vented bonnet, CAI
Where you had the install done - DIY with assist and tuning from RE Customs
How much it cost - a bit, minimum outlay is around $8K without water/oil cooling mods and if you DIY a large portion of it
What wHp or KW you are making with this set up - 257rwkw on what I consider to be a fairly safe tune.

#4 MITCH_21

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Guys , I appreciate the feedback

Thinking a GTM twin GT28RS turbo kit night be the way to go they are available in LHD and RHD kit. :)

See how 4psi goes then move uo from there

$6375 USD GTM Tuner Kit

Cast Ductile Iron Exhaust Manifolds And Turbine Housing
Pre-Bent Stainless Steel Heat Shields
Exhaust Manifold Install Hardware Kit
4-Ply High Resistance Nomex Silicon couplers
Stainless Steel T-Bolt clamps
3.5 x 13 x 24 Bar and Plate Core Intercooler Rated 1000hp
GTM Steering Coupler
Polished Stainless Steel and Tig Welded Piping
Pre-made steel braided oil and coolant Supply & Return lines
Garrett's Twin ball bearing water & oil cooled turbocharger
Cold Air Intake System (using k&n filters)
TiAL 50mm Blow-off Valve
Tial 38mm external Wastegate with GTM Downpipes (standard option) with Tuner kit
All Necessary Hardware and Installation Instructions

Any input on this kit would be appreciated also

#5 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

your still going to need injectors, computer, fuel pump?, exhaust system....

considering you are looking at over $7300 + shipping...

maybe the APS system would work out similar..
http://www.airpowers...m/350z/350z.htm

#6 MITCH_21

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

I have been to a number of Tuning shop that have all said the APS 350z TT kit has been discontinued in RHD?
C&J and Option1 both said the same thing?

I would like to get a APS return fuel system tho :)

#7 Kam80

• Car:Z33

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

Yes APS have stopped making RHD versions of their kit. You' ll need minimum 440cc injectors and you should be able to safely run around 8psi with supporting mods, VQs are hot engines so the challenge is heat. You won't need fuel return unless you plan to exceed 300rwkw. But you will need a fuel pump. RE customs is building my mate's 350z at the moment, gtm stage 2 kit with built block. Should make well over 300rwkw, but he's dropped some serious coin into it.

#8 MITCH_21

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

Have any of you guys had a look at the Momentum Performance 350z single turbo kit?
i think its a good cost effective FI solution, Let me know what you think

$6200 USD

Tuner Kit includes everything the standard kit has except: Walbro fuel pump, UpRev tuning, and Deatsch Werks injectors
Garrett GT35R with TiAL 1.03 A/R stainless v-band housing
Intercooler: Custom high fin density bar and plate (9 x 22 x 3.25)
Wastegate: TiAL MV-R
Blow-off-valve: TiAL Q 50mm
Downpipe: 3″ 304 stainless with spare O2 bung for wideband installation
Up-pipe: 2 1/4" 304 stainless
Intake/Charge Piping: 3″ 6061 Aluminum with an integrated billet MAF housing
Coolant Surge Tank: Custom aluminum surge tank
Polished or optional Powder Coated intercooler and intake tubing (black or gray wrinkle powder coating)
Polished or optional Ceramic coated exhaust tubing (black or dark gray)
Supplied with one step colder NGK spark plugs(LFR6A-11) and a K&N Air Filter (5″ x 7″)
All the necessary hardware, couplers and clamps along with detailed installation instructions

Momentum Performance website Link
http://www.momentump..._350z_Tuner_Kit

Youtube Clip Link

#9 reekos13

• Car:s13

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

Call Turbo Tune in Adelaide Talk to Micheal he did a 350 in a few steps! The owner was looking for 400kw atw from memory lol. Made a kit with ASE I think

#10 150kw power house

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

Gfs dad has a twin turbo one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!