Its not if... but when... 

13 replies to this topic

#1 penguin14

• Car:Turbo N14

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

"Its not if, but when" is what my dad has always said to me, and its too true for us all.

Last night on my way home from work in the left of two lanes, a car in the right has not seen me, come accross into my lane and has side swiped me. There was no warning, no time to react.

I didnt even know what was going on until I was on the grounjd thinking to my self " what the %^@ just happened?!"

First got pushed into a gutter, bike tipped onto its side and slid for a bit, then it mounted up the gutter and hit a pole.

All the front forks are rolled, the radiator is back a good 3 inches and the entire bikes chassis has been bent... even the rear swing arm and such has been bent.

The actual crank case has been cut down so much so that it was leaking, and not from impact damage either.

The entire front nose cone was RIPPED off the front ram intake, and thats a good 5mm thick aluminium around the entire front of it all.

I was able to get up and walk away from this, and yes, some may think that it was fairly minor compared to what you may have experienced, but this is my first accident... ever.

The sad bit with saying that, is that it will most likely not be the last incident as a rider I have.

I was able to walk away from this, bruised and skaken up, but I was still able to walk away, all the gear I was wearing did its job.

I have a feeling that the bike is going to be written off (2008 R6), what are your opinions on this amount of damage? is it possible to repair with this much damage?

Moral of the story is, wear ALL your gear... all the time.

Just wanted to share this with you all from personal experience, always think twice about not wearing gear...

#2 Drifted Silbeer

• Car:S13.5 - R32 Gts-r - MZ20

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

Glad to hear u went seriously injured. Id say bike would be a write off unfortanetly :(

#3 Bozza_12

• Car:Jeep Wrangler

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

Sorry to hear about your crash. But glad your ok mate. What gear were you riding with if you dont mind me asking?

#4 penguin14

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

View PostBozza_12, on 25 January 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

Sorry to hear about your crash. But glad your ok mate. What gear were you riding with if you dont mind me asking?

Had a RST Textile Jacket, RST Textile Pants, A Star gloves, Dainese Boots and AGV helment. Which all did its job.

Not the best way to find out, but there arent really any other ways haha.

#5 Danny_S15

• Car:nissan 200sx s15 spec s gt

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

all that matters is that you got away from that mate, by the sounds of things the bike is a write off, i doubt you'd wanna get back onto such a severely damaged bike anyways. also dont ever ride side by side with cars, even if it means speeding to get in front so they can see you. best of luck mate

#6 Freddy Kruger

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

having a look at written off bike on the net it really doesnt take much...

did the car stop or anything?

advice ive been told its to ride slightly faster than the flow of traffic. if you are moving compared to everything else you are a bit more likely to be noticed in mirrors etc.

#7 penguin14

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

View PostDanny_S15, on 25 January 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

all that matters is that you got away from that mate, by the sounds of things the bike is a write off, i doubt you'd wanna get back onto such a severely damaged bike anyways. also dont ever ride side by side with cars, even if it means speeding to get in front so they can see you. best of luck mate

View PostFreddy Kruger, on 25 January 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

having a look at written off bike on the net it really doesnt take much...

did the car stop or anything?

advice ive been told its to ride slightly faster than the flow of traffic. if you are moving compared to everything else you are a bit more likely to be noticed in mirrors etc.

Well, thats the thing.

The car in the right lane was in heavy traffic at 30ish K's, and I was heading past them in heavy traffic as well but a bit faster.

But yes, I know exactly what you are meaning to pass them to get out of thier spots, regularly do that.

Gotta love city traffic though...

#8 18LE

• Car:zx10r

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

Glad to see you walked away unhurt, the bike is definitely a write off, ive seen bikes with scratches on the fairings and a couple of scratches on the frame and they were write offs

Assuming the driver stopped and his insurance is paying make sure you get a payout for the bike and your gear if there's marks on them

#9 Karbonyte

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

Always glad to hear you were lucky to have walked away from the accident!

If your helmet took a spill, get it replaced. Don't risk riding with an internally cracked helmet.

Sounds like a write-off. Hope you find a replacement soon - like they say, it's always better to get back on the horse after a spill.

#10 -Gaz-

• Car:CBR, S14

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

Glad your ok. Hope it doesn't put you off bikes for to long.. would be a shame.

#11 penguin14

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

Haha,

Its lucky that I was in the process of selling my other bike, So I still have another bike and am already back on it :thumb:

Its going to take a lot more than that to make me walk away from it all.

I think the worst part now is to get all the gear replaced, and DECIDE what bike to get next!

Cheers, Tim.

#12 18LE

• Car:zx10r

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

Good to hear
you had the little one
time to upgrade
Posted Image

#13 SR20NA

• Car:GSXR 750

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:55 AM

Good to hear you walked away mate! the bikes def a wrote off, even if it was repairable, you wouldnt want to get back on such a badly damaged bike anyway.
but its also great to hear that youve gotten striaght back on a bike. and your riding! ^^ great choice for an upgrade :P

On abit of a rant, it really Sh!ts me when you hear of a bike crash because some toll in a car didnt look where they were going.

#14 penguin14

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

View Post18LE, on 28 January 2011 - 07:20 AM, said:

Good to hear
you had the little one
time to upgrade
Posted Image

Yeahhhhhh,

This is what I was thinking of getting, but my brother also has one, cant be the same type of bike! hahaha

Maybe in the black colour Scheme? hrmmmmmmm, so much choice!

Maybe a nice a Repsol blade? hrmmmmmmm....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!