* * * * * 1 votes

Julia Gillard vs Kevin Rudd (opinions, expected outcome?) 

117 replies to this topic

Poll: Our Government (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Out of the two who would you PREFER to see as the head of our fine country.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

After monday's ballot who do you think WILL be the leader?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which party would you like to see running the country after the next election?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 loz

• Car:Nissan 200SX S14.5

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

If you weren't aware, there has been an ongoing power struggle within the labor party for a while now with Rudd wanting his old job back.

http://www.news.com....r-1226278761878

It has gone as far as Rudd resigning from his current position as Foreign Minister.
http://www.news.com....9-1226278680674

Rudd:
http://www.news.com....r-1226279094210

Gillard:
http://www.news.com....r-1226279217149

With all this unrest within the Labor party at the moment, am interested to see peoples opinions & views on the current situation - and what they believe is best for this country moving forward!

#2 TheApothecary

• Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

http://www.abc.net.a...truggle/3846500

Pretty decent write up with a lot of the questions answered already.

I personally think it's childish and nothing worthwhile (as in, things that are actually important amongst the Australian community) is being achieved.

See my quote for more details.

Edit: I don't understand the Liberal party's attacks on Labor with Gillard ousting Rudd when Abbott did the exact same thing to Turnbull.

Edited by TheApothecary, 23 February 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#3 Flying180

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

As much as i hate him, i think Rudd should be PM because he was the one voted in at election. I really despise internal party politics, especially when it's spearheaded by union leaders.

However i think Gillard has the majority backing. The thing letting her down is her inability to stay true to her word.

Liberals have got to win the next election. We need certainty and confidence in our PM, as well as a redirection in policies.

#4 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

This really is a non issue. Politicians always talk with a bit of spin to give themselves room to back peddle or change their minds. However Kevin Rudd has clearly stated numerous times point blank that he is not interested in becoming Prime Minster again. That's basically the end of the story. The only people making it an issue are the tabloid media because they are out of stories and news.

Edited by steveP, 23 February 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#5 professor

• Car:1991 s13

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

never liked gillard never will. she never kept her word on anything. rudd hands down. but than again a third party should come in and take it

#6 skedy

• Car:180sx

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Rudd has said he would support the aus car industry (which i work for) so i really hope he gets in but alas i doubt he will get the numbers. which ever way this ballot goes next election the libs will romp it in

we need a third party that is actually in touch with what this country needs for the future and not just peddling to the biggest majority so they win the election...

Edited by SkEdY_WAnTs_A_180, 23 February 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#7 HYPA13

• Car:97 Chaser / 98 S14

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

i hope liberals win the next election tbh...

#8 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

The problem is that with the current selection of leaders, it really is a case of Untrustworthy vs Scumbag vs Useless.

Gillard doesn't cheanges her mind too frequently, albeit her policies are driven by the party rather than her.
Abbott is far too religious to be allowed in Politics. The guy was studying to be a Catholic Priest at one stage - last thing we need.
Rudd implemented far too many vote-gaining stupid decisions, the $900+ cash back to stimulate the economy being one of the worst; should have been plowed into job-creating infrastructure instead.

I'd hate to see the Greens get into power, as their policies would completely f**k the economy, and the other parties are non-events.

My vote at this stage is Liberal, as I disagree with many of the opnions that Abbott holds (most of which stem from religion).
Better someone who makes no decision, than someone who makes a bad decision.

#9 antonio

• Car:S14

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostFlying180, on 23 February 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

As much as i hate him, i think Rudd should be PM because he was the one voted in at election. I really despise internal party politics, especially when it's spearheaded by union leaders.

Kevin '07 UP IN HERE!

Both leaders have had there ups and downs, but this back-stabbing and taking control of our country is not the right way of doing something..

#10 pman

Pooh Bear; Wreckin' porcelain since the 90's.

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Car:RayGay's mum

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Kevin Rudd; The Resurrection

#11 Chappy

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

I hope all this bickering will decimate the labor party so badly (both state and federal) that they end up becoming a minor party (wishful thinking i know).

The amount of dirty deals and subversion of the law that Labor has become guilty of over the last few years is absolutely sickening. Half of them should be thrown in jail.

A perfect example would be this Craig Thompson debacle.

Edited by Chappy, 23 February 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#12 maiky-s15R

• Car:99 s15 SPEC R

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Can't stand Julia the fuktard ranga never disliked a pm more than her for some reason

#13 boost_bus180

• Car:180sx, stagea

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

From Rudd's point of view, I can't see the logic in challenging for the leadership of the labour government again. A lot of them do not support him, whether it be publicly or "faceless", so why on earth would you want to be their boss. Would inevitably result in further infighting and continue the path of impending ALP implosion.

To me it makes more political sense for Rudd to keep his head held high, to not partake in the ballot and instead leave the ALP all together. Rudd could continue to undermine the ALP and encourage their implosion whilst becoming an independent MP and then moving onto the UN at a later date, as that seems to be his passion.

Aside from the differing objectives and policies of the Liberal and Labor parties, the winning trait of liberal parties past and present has always been their teamwork and loyalty to their leader. Despite Abbott's short falls, his party has continued to back him with no public hint of infighting which if elected as PM, would ensure relative certainty of who is running the country. That is not something the ALP has been able to provide.

If Rudd does take part in the ballot and contest the leadership, this would potentially be two changes of PM that the public has not had a say in. This is still a democratic society isn't it?

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

#14 Chappy

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

View Postmaiky-s15R, on 23 February 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

Can't stand Julia the fuktard ranga never disliked a pm more than her for some reason

I predict for the next few terms of government after Labor there will be many people repeating the phrase "at least he's not as bad as Gillard"

#15 Chappy

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

http://www.news.com....r-1226279320956

Ms Rowland, member for the western Sydney seat of Greenway, today gave birth to 2.93 kg Octavia, her first child, at Norwest Private Hospital.

Her absence raises the remote prospect of a tied vote - 51-51 of the Caucus.

Posted Image

Edited by Chappy, 23 February 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#16 loz

• Car:Nissan 200SX S14.5

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostChappy, on 23 February 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

I hope all this bickering will decimate the labor party so badly (both state and federal) that they end up becoming a minor party (wishful thinking i know).

The amount of dirty deals and subversion of the law that Labor has become guilty of over the last few years is absolutely sickening. Half of them should be thrown in jail.

A perfect example would be this Craig Thompson debacle.

agreed

honestly i believe MP's should be accountable for their actions.
Craig Thompson should have gone straight to jail as an example to the rest of the pollies who think it is ok to waste taxpayers money.
The fact that Fair Work Australia have spent over $1mil (estimate $2mil) in taxpayer money just to come to a conclusion on what to do with him is another disgusting example of why our govenment is so broken at the moment.

Same goes for all the laughable costings for most government projects.

End of the day i put alot of the problem down to Labor policy, i doubt this economy will last another season with them in power.

#17 level_100%_warned

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

ditch the b**ch!!!

#18 PhattJZX

• Car:JZX100 TRD Spec Yo!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Katter the Mad Hatter for PM!!

actually he has some good ideas but no one can take him seriously.

#19 bootlegapparel

• Car:RX-7

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

All I have to say is imagine if your workplace was run like politics.

Imagine just f**king around for weeks on end because you disagree who gets to be leader. Their job is like returning to kindergarten.

#20 CroS13

• Car:S15 GT Spec S

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

i say we all should zerg rush parliament during this key event with burning torches and pitchforks, and put a end to both party's for good, then we can build a new government, one in which our waters are defended by dolphins with torpedo's strapped to their backs to lay waste to this dam boat people problem we are having. Sink every incoming ship, use the Burning molten leftovers of parliament house to finally build the Sydney north west rail line, and use the ash of the charred bodies of our fallen politicians to fill in the potholes on Parramatta road.

Right now we have nobody in any party that is fit to lead this country, thats why my vote goes for option C, Anarchy!!

#21 SR20_DET

• Car:Nissan 180SX - SR20DET

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PoststeveP, on 23 February 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

This really is a non issue. Politicians always talk with a bit of spin to give themselves room to back peddle or change their minds. However Kevin Rudd has clearly stated numerous times point blank that he is not interested in becoming Prime Minster again. That's basically the end of the story. The only people making it an issue are the tabloid media because they are out of stories and news.

You just may end up eating your words.

#22 darkone

• Car:Silvia

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

I find it retarded that we are essentially forced to choose between two evils..

#23 J's 180

• Car:1997 Type X

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

Willing to bet money that Gillard stays, Rudd will quit politics or go to backbench. It's quite simple and for a fact I know this will happen.

Reasons as outlined in media today:

If Gillard loses, then Independent Tony Windsor and possibly the other Independents will abandon support for the Labor Party and another election will be called between Rudd and Abbott, something the Labor Party does not want as it will likely lose.

IF Rudd wins, then the Caucus (who control the party) are the ones who dislike him and outed him in the first place so it would be too controversial / awkward for them to put up with. Dunno if Rudd can fire them, pretty sure he can't. But he may force them to resign through some sort of controversies.

IF Rudd loses, he will go to the backbench where he will still be a thorn in the side of Gillard and Labor, costing them the next election. Also if he quits, the same outcome has been achieved as the public want Rudd, and if Gillard wins they will definitely lose favour for the Labor Party, support will plummet to record lows. And thus at the 2013 election voters will vote for Liberal Party. Meaning Labor lose.

So either way Labor are screwed. Unless they put aside their hatred of Rudd and listen to the people who want Rudd and put him in, giving them the best shot at winning the 2013 election!

So there you go that is what's gonna happen. Finally my Uni days come to some sort of use lol.

#24 J's 180

• Car:1997 Type X

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

View Postboost_bus180, on 23 February 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

From Rudd's point of view, I can't see the logic in challenging for the leadership of the labour government again. A lot of them do not support him, whether it be publicly or "faceless", so why on earth would you want to be their boss. Would inevitably result in further infighting and continue the path of impending ALP implosion.

To me it makes more political sense for Rudd to keep his head held high, to not partake in the ballot and instead leave the ALP all together. Rudd could continue to undermine the ALP and encourage their implosion whilst becoming an independent MP and then moving onto the UN at a later date, as that seems to be his passion.

Aside from the differing objectives and policies of the Liberal and Labor parties, the winning trait of liberal parties past and present has always been their teamwork and loyalty to their leader. Despite Abbott's short falls, his party has continued to back him with no public hint of infighting which if elected as PM, would ensure relative certainty of who is running the country. That is not something the ALP has been able to provide.

If Rudd does take part in the ballot and contest the leadership, this would potentially be two changes of PM that the public has not had a say in. This is still a democratic society isn't it?

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

He is calling the leadership ballot as he is quitting and knows he won't win so he is screwing the party over for stabbing him in the back with Gillard takeover. This is his "end-game", his "retirement present" to the party. Trust me, he isn't doing this because he wants to be leader again, he knows damn well he will lose the ballot. As do most of us with political knowledge. But the media to make money have turned it into some big game sucking all the gullible people into thinking there is a chance Rudd will win.

Like I said Rudd will only win if the Caucus sees to the future and votes with that 2013 election in mind. Put aside their hate of him to secure power for another term. Makes sense right? But to me and a lot of political experts who have been interviewed this seems unlikely.

Edited by J's 180, 23 February 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#25 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

We need a capitalist government - run the country like a successful business.

#26 Kez180

• Car:Silvia s13 CA18de (Shithouse)

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

What we don't need is Tony 'The f**king christian' Abbott in charge of the country, man is a complete liability. Say what you want about Gillard, at least she doesn't have imaginary friends.

Note: Rudd is challenging as it his last shot, Julia was planning to shaft him so he has nothing to lose. He won't quit parliament if he loses, if Labor can deal with f**kface Craig Thompson still holding a seat then they can handle Ruddlips...

#27 pernie_a

• Car:1994 S14 200SX RB26

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

Already feels like a dictatorship anyway.
A leader we didn't vote for, who does what she wants anyway, and a blatant disregard for the general public's opinion.
Gillard = Screwed
Abbott = Screwed
Rudd = Screwed
Australia = Screwed.
But if I had to choose: Rudd because I don't trust anyone who doesn't swear... in public anyway.

#28 Bennybear

• Car:BMW

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostGHOSTY, on 23 February 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

We need a capitalist government - run the country like a successful business.

Agreed. Love him or hate him, Malcom Turnbull was (in my opinion) the clearest shot Australia had at becoming an economic powerhouse. No self made multi millionaire would ever hock off national infrastructure and forward sell national resources (not to mention the ridiculous bulk discounts Labor applied).

View PostKez180, on 23 February 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

What we don't need is Tony 'The f**king christian' Abbott in charge of the country, man is a complete liability. Say what you want about Gillard, at least she doesn't have imaginary friends.

Note: Rudd is challenging as it his last shot, Julia was planning to shaft him so he has nothing to lose. He won't quit parliament if he loses, if Labor can deal with f**kface Craig Thompson still holding a seat then they can handle Ruddlips...

We vote for the party and the policy mate, not the muppet that gets shoved in front of the camera. Party leaders are selected by way of a popularity contest and effectively parrot whatever the party majority decisions/directions/agendas are. After the last few years of Labor rule this should be infinitely publicised.

Edited by Bennybear, 23 February 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#29 Kez180

• Car:Silvia s13 CA18de (Shithouse)

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Well Labor's track record economically is stronger in my opinion, specifically the way they handled the financial crisis... targeted spending on infrastructure and capital investment...

EDIT: I know the $900 wasn't anything to do with infrastructure or capital investment but most of the other spending was...

Historically Labor has done well as well floating the dollar and de-regulating banking...

I am not blind to the policy, but there is a distinct lack of skills and intelligence hanging around the liberal front bench at the moment.

I would vote for Turnbull....

Edited by Kez180, 23 February 2012 - 09:05 PM.

#30 antonio

• Car:S14

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Im just waiting for them to allow people to not vote if they do not want to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!