It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

buying first bike 

4 replies to this topic

#1 s13lova

• Car:s13 turbo

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

So after years of wanting a bike my 50 year old dad decided to get a honda cbr230 for himself (mid-life crisis) Anyway I had a little play around on it in the dirt, first time riding and absoloutely loved it. Now I'm looking at getting a road registered off road bike. Wanted to see what you guys think of buying new or second hand and what bikes are good and what ones aren't so much? Was thinking maybe a used yamaha wr250 they seem to be around the 5k mark which would be the ideal amount I'd like to spend.
Any help would be appreciated.
cheers guys. :thumb:

#2 -Gaz-

• Car:CBR, S14

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Bike section has been a bit dead, I moved it in here to get more hits. I know f**k all about off road bikes dude, sorry.

#3 Flying180

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

I would only get an off road bike if you intend on going off road at least once a week. Otherwise they're just damn uncomfortable and get a bit boring.
I rode one for about a week and then never touched it again. It's such a task to take an off road bike to 'playgrounds' these days as well. Cops are everywhere and kids destroy everything. Then you end up having to trailer the bike everywhere just in case you damage something.

That said, a sports bike in traffic is probably a bit more uncomfortable, but at least you can duck up into the hills (in Adelaide) and go for an awesome ride through the back way.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

If you get an off road bike, make sure you have a committed friend/father who can go riding with you. So much better then.

#4 _mR_180_

• Car:Alfa Romeo 156 JTS

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

how much have you ridden before? if you lack experience a Honda XR250-400 or simliar (Suzuki DR-Z, Yamaha TTR, Kawasaki KLX) should suit you fine as they are very forgiving and reliable bike, make decent power and will take almost anything you can throw at them. Initial cost is lower and maintenance is minor.

If you have ridden quite a bit before you could then look at a Yamaha WR250f-450f (these are basically 4-stone motocross bikes with headlights). These things are super quick, and are great fun, but much less forgiving. Initial cost is higher and maintenance is much more important.

All of these bikes are suitable for LAMS meaning you can ride them on your L's and R-Date licence.

#5 bloodzkull

• Car:92 r32 gtr skyline. 85 single cab 4wd hulix (vn v6) and a 71 datsun 1600

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

View Post-Gaz-, on 28 January 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Bike section has been a bit dead, I moved it in here to get more hits. I know f**k all about off road bikes dude, sorry.

way to dead!

View Post_mR_180_, on 30 January 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

how much have you ridden before? if you lack experience a Honda XR250-400 or simliar (Suzuki DR-Z, Yamaha TTR, Kawasaki KLX) should suit you fine as they are very forgiving and reliable bike, make decent power and will take almost anything you can throw at them. Initial cost is lower and maintenance is minor.

If you have ridden quite a bit before you could then look at a Yamaha WR250f-450f (these are basically 4-stone motocross bikes with headlights). These things are super quick, and are great fun, but much less forgiving. Initial cost is higher and maintenance is much more important.

All of these bikes are suitable for LAMS meaning you can ride them on your L's and R-Date licence.

depends on how much f**king around you want get a dirt bike and a motard kit for it. motards are awesome fun!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!