It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

Has anybody been defected for.....? 

defect air box enclosure
12 replies to this topic

#1 philrayho

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Has anybody been defected for using an aftermarket airbox/enclosure? (think the hi-octane racing one)

after being defected last week and being told that my pod wasnt enclosed as it should be, i cbf digging into the depths of my garage for it (plus im pretty sure its been thrown out) i decided to grab a hi-octane one, stripped the sticker off it, painted it satin black and along with my black fmic piping it actually looks pretty neat and stealthy.

so yea, im sure with the vague defect rules these days which pretty much gives the boys in blue the right to defect anything that isnt factory, i was just wondering if anybody has actually been defected for this?

stories?

#2 Singstar

• Car:200sx

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Basically, anything that isn't factory is defectible. Anything that isn't to manufacturers specifications renders the car unroadworthy. NSW laws talk about "owner certifiable" modifications but is murky on what that means. The next best thing to something that has NISSAN stamped on it, is something that's ADR approved and has a legit engineer's certificate.

That being said, it depends on who's looking at your car, where you are, and what your attitude is.

#3 greens14

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

If u are running a FMIC that is one intake mod. Then as soon as you get rid of your standard airbox, pretty much regardless of what you replace it with is classed as another intake mod = defect plus EPA emissions test.
U r only allowed one intake mod. If you ever get pulle over the first thing the copper will check is this, as it is an easy sticker and and easy fine.
That's for Vic btw.

Edited by greens14, 30 March 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#4 z0mbieJesus

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

Just get standard airbox and hack out the bottom of it. Did it to mine and works fine. There's guys on here running over 300rwkw with standard airbox. Only kinda obvious mod on mine is the fmic, all the rest your average cop won't pick unless you go a top mount...

#5 kriss

• Car:A31 - CHEV

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

is your car making big power? if not then why not just run the factory airbox with a higher flowing filter, dont get all these people running pods on street cars with stock power

#6 pman

Pooh Bear; Wreckin' porcelain since the 90's.

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Car:RayGay's mum

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

This is only one of very few things SA is great for. So long as your pod is secure, youre free to have a front mount. But nothing with an airbox

#7 Phoenix Silvia

• Car:N/A 180sx

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

I'm running a CAI on my N/A lol, I like it cause its the arc one and lots of air can enter it but I wonder if I'm making a tiny bit of power from it

#8 jdmstyling

• Car:06' liberty

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Man.. cops can be major dicks..
I got 'red stickered' defected in my old 180 in the city once about 6 years ago...Just did my strawberry face conversion and wanted to show it off.. All the defects were for stupid little things too..
One of the defects was having a TEAR in my driver seat.
Yep.. a TEAR!!! I shit you not.. It was about 2cm in length.. I asked the officer why it was a defect. His reply was "it's a defect because a spring may stick out of the seat while you're driving, it may cause harm to you. You could possibly lose control of your vehicle causing harm or death to others".... I swear my face jaw just dropped in utter shock as to how much bullshit this cop was pulling out of his ass.. Did i mention that the defect carried out 3 points?
I know alot of you may be assuming if I was being a dick towards the cop.. and the answer is no.. I was literally on my best behaviour.
So I took photos of the damn "defective" seat. Took my case to court.. The judge literally laughed his head off.. He had it dropped from my drivers license.

#9 Hobbsie

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

If you're worried just run the factory airbox.

However, I don't think 99% of cops would care as long as its enclosed in a black box, they probably won't even know what they're looking at.

#10 philrayho

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hobbsie, thats what im tryin to rely on atm because im pretty sure ive thrown my factory box out.

#11 DNTBNVS15

• Car:2002 ADM S15 Silvia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

View Postpman, on 31 March 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

This is only one of very few things SA is great for. So long as your pod is secure, youre free to have a front mount. But nothing with an airbox

+1 went through regency 3 weeks ago with greddy front mount, secured pod filter and hole in battery tray. Loving life!!

#12 ek9

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

go for it they wont look twice at it if its a box.

#13 philrayho

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

its on now, looks pretty discreet and standard looking. actually the factory airbox snorkel might even fit in place. if i get that to fit as well and cut a neat feed for it into the hi octane cover, itll look sweet.
ill post pics if i get this working

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!